Dabo on Recruiting in Alabama - “I’m Kind of Like Osama Bin Dabo”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It seems we have a fundamental disagreement about Clemson’s 2017 campaign. I maintain they did not play for the national championship that year because they didn’t make it to the final game. It seems you disagree and any team that makes the playoffs “played for the championship”. That’s very odd to me.
I think you are mixing posters up because I clearly stated :

But that game isn’t mentioned because it is the least meaningful, and less memorable out of the 4 games. In about 15 years I guarantee you when you ask a non Bama or Clemson fan “ who were the starting quarterbacks in the Sugar Bowl between Bama and Clemson” you will get the same confused look as when folks are asked today “ who was the Oklahoma qb in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl vs Boise”.

Yes the game meant something, but had Alabama lost to UGA it wouldn’t mean more than the winner of the Belk Bowl. More or less people value national championship games higher than the Semis. I mean does anyone really care that the Patriots have been to the last 8 AFCCG and are 5-3 in those, or do they care more that they are 3-1 in SBs in the last 5 years?
I don't know where any of that suggests that I think Clemson played for a national championship....

But to the quote you quoted :

Because it clearly cuts off another national championship they played for. 3 years isn't a number usually used to give a range of things.
3 years Clemson:

2016 National Championship W
2017 Sugar Bowl L
2018 National Championship W

4 Years

2015 National Championship L
2016 National Championship W
2017 Sugar Bowl L
2018 National Championship W

2015 is cut off is my point, not 2017

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Have you ever watched 1st take or Undisputed? Have you ever noticed that every time they are talking about the Patriots, Alabama, the Warriors, the Sox, or Mayweather one person is totally for them and one person is totally against them? It’s that way on purpose.

Fox doesn’t pay Rob Parker for his accuracy on how “overrated” Tom Brady and the Patriots are, they pay him for his willingness to stupid and obnoxious on live air about why they are going lose or are overrated. It’s more profitable to have differing and arbitrary opinions that doesn’t match reality or the whole truth. They aren’t there to please just the South.

The WWE has found out long ago that heroes need heels to be super. A lot of news and sports shows have followed suit.

Again if you don’t like it just change the channel. It is what what it is.
THAT is exactly why Skip Bayless and Danny Kannell have jobs... :cool2:

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Much ado about nothing. People are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive these days. I thought it was delivered in a tongue and cheek manner.
Preach on Man. It's seems those quick to throw out the snowflake insult turn out to be the biggest snow flakes imaginable.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Dabo isn't Saban and that's just fine. He's winning his way and true to himself. As a Bama fan I have nothing but respect for Clemson and Dabo. They have earned our respect on the field in my opinion.

It's funny because I have people thinking they can rile me up as a Bama fan by bringing up Clemson. I just tell them I think it's a historic rivalry of two quality programs run by two quality coaches that we are all lucky to witness.

Auburn and Tennessee on the other hand........

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Preach on Man. It's seems those quick to throw out the snowflake insult turn out to be the biggest snow flakes imaginable.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Dabo isn't Saban and that's just fine. He's winning his way and true to himself. As a Bama fan I have nothing but respect for Clemson and Dabo. They have earned our respect on the field in my opinion.

It's funny because I have people thinking they can rile me up as a Bama fan by bringing up Clemson. I just tell them I think it's a historic rivalry of two quality programs run by two quality coaches that we are all lucky to witness.

Auburn and Tennessee on the other hand........
The two teams have played 19 times total. I wouldn't call it a rivalry just yet.

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
The two teams have played 19 times total. I wouldn't call it a rivalry just yet.
A current rivalry for the current times and the current states of both programs which is nothing less than historic. Last 4 years Alabama and Clemson have had to beat the other in the playoffs in route to a championship one way or the other.

Good chance it will happen again this year with the rubber match with things currently standing 2-2. I think it's an Epic all-time rivalry with higher stakes than maybe the combined outcomes of any other two teams playing each other in history.

Truly historic stuff happening here and I stand by saying we are privileged to be watching it. Sooner or later some other teams are going to find their way back into the mix and we may never see such consistent dominance from 2 programs at the same time ever again.

We are witnessing true greatness. Like Federer, Nadal, and Djockevic all playing in the same era. I know many fellow Bama fans can't stomach sharing greatness and the spotlight with another program but it is what is and Clemson is right there with us. Major props to Dabo for rising to the occasion to match Saban blow for blow from all but being out of coaching and selling Real Estate!

Bama needed Clemson to keep things interesting.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Moo with a lake??? :Joker_PDT_20: on TideFans.com
A current rivalry for the current times and the current states of both programs which is nothing less than historic. Last 4 years Alabama and Clemson have had to beat the other in the playoffs in route to a championship one way or the other.

Good chance it will happen again this year with the rubber match with things currently standing 2-2. I think it's an Epic all-time rivalry with higher stakes than maybe the combined outcomes of any other two teams playing each other in history.

Truly historic stuff happening here and I stand by saying we are privileged to be watching it. Sooner or later some other teams are going to find their way back into the mix and we may never see such consistent dominance from 2 programs at the same time ever again.

We are witnessing true greatness. Like Federer, Nadal, and Djockevic all playing in the same era. I know many fellow Bama fans can't stomach sharing greatness and the spotlight with another program but it is what is and Clemson is right there with us. Major props to Dabo for rising to the occasion to match Saban blow for blow from all but being out of coaching and selling Real Estate!

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
Moo with a lake??? :Joker_PDT_20: on TideFans.com
Whatever. My degree from U of A hanging right here in front of me in my office says different. I can appreciate what Dabo, a fellow Bama Alumni I might add, has done with Clemson without it taking away from the greatness of where Saban has lead the Tide this past decade.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As a college football fan, I appreciate what Dabo has done and respect the fact they've won 2 of the last 3 NCs.

Also, as a fan of college football, it would probably be more healthy if another team or two could break into the party.

But as an Alabama fan, I'd be just fine if Clemson, as they currently are, had never happened because we could "theoretically" be looking at about 4 straight NC without them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think considering how today's culture uses the term "rivalry". I would agree that Clemson/Alabama is the flavor of the month "rivalry". Just like a few years ago LSU/Alabama was "the game of the century" at which for the next handful of years LSU/Alabama was considered a "rivalry". You don't hear as much of it now. But depending on how old a person is, will depend what they consider a rivalry. Personally, how I define a rivalry, Clemson isn't one of our rivals. But ask a person 10 or more years younger than me and it's not only a rivalry but also "epic". LOL!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Cool... It's still not a rivalry.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think considering how today's culture uses the term "rivalry". I would agree that Clemson/Alabama is the flavor of the month "rivalry". Just like a few years ago LSU/Alabama was "the game of the century" at which for the next handful of years LSU/Alabama was considered a "rivalry". You don't hear as much of it now. But depending on how old a person is, will depend what they consider a rivalry. Personally, how I define a rivalry, Clemson isn't one of our rivals. But ask a person 10 or more years younger than me and it's not only a rivalry but also "epic". LOL!
I'm 28 and firmly say it's not a rivalry. Honestly, I didn't know any Alabama fan thought it until today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm 28 and firmly say it's not a rivalry. Honestly, I didn't know any Alabama fan thought it until today.
My guess is you're not the average fan/viewer either. From my experience I have found most younger people are quick to use the term rivalry to describe two teams who are currently having success and the games played between the two are very good. Again, I refer back to the LSU/Bama games of just a few years ago. I got so sick of fans referring to LSU as "our biggest rival", and most of the time it was coming from someone in the age range I mentioned. Both from LSU and non-LSU fans. (I live in Louisiana so I'm not around hardly any Bama fans, be it young, old or in between.)

Since Kirby has taken the HC job at Jawja and we've had two heavy weight style matches against them. My guess is, one more "good-un" against them and we'll start hearing it whenever we play them as well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My guess is you're not the average fan/viewer either. From my experience I have found most younger people are quick to use the term rivalry to describe two teams who are currently having success and the games played between the two are very good. Again, I refer back to the LSU/Bama games of just a few years ago. I got so sick of fans referring to LSU as "our biggest rival", and most of the time it was coming from someone in the age range I mentioned. Both from LSU and non-LSU fans. (I live in Louisiana so I'm not around hardly any Bama fans, be it young, old or in between.)

Since Kirby has taken the HC job at Jawja and we've had two heavy weight style matches against them. My guess is, one more "good-un" against them and we'll start hearing it whenever we play them as well.
So, are you saying that what is a rivalry is decided by a popular vote of young'uns? :D It reminds me of the long-running email feud I had with the late Frank DeFord about whether Saban's run amounted to a "dynasty." (He finally conceded.) Maybe after another five years, if it continues...

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
Most nonsense, like these so called "rivalries" and "dynasties" begin on ESPN.

Last season, according to ESPN.........Alabama was seriously being discussed as the "greatest team EVER".

At the same time, Notre Dame was absolutely, positively, a solid contender to win it all. ( not to mention, "football is just better when Notre Dame is in the mix") Whatever that means.....???? lol.

Not to worry..................it will soon be football season again. ESPN will again be spewing out plenty of stupid crap for those who believe everything they hear or see on TV.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I consider it a "rivalry" like the Pats-AFC North of the 2000's, Braves-Cards of the 90's, and Miami-Notre Dame in which for a short time period that was THE GAME that decided who was champ or real contender. Its a rivalry in terms that "there is only rival standing in their way", but not a "deep rooted rivalry". The latter would be like Alabama-Tennessee/ Clemson-South Carolina, Braves-Mets, and Miami-FSU.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

A lot of it died out mostly due to LSU tanking, and most of the "rivalry" aspect of it was due to LSU fans demanding it to be one after many years of boasting that they were the only team in America without a rival. But once Alabama went on 8 game steak after starting 2-3 no one really cared anymore. Its like in the 90's when the Jaguars tried to say that the Steelers were their biggest rival, and Bill Cowher replied "Its not a rivalry until we say it is". I think the stakes are mostly higher with Bama-Clemson

As for UGA... Its not even close to a rivalry until UGA shows they can beat us, and even then I don't think it is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
A lot of it died out mostly due to LSU tanking, and most of the "rivalry" aspect of it was due to LSU fans demanding it to be one after many years of boasting that they were the only team in America without a rival. But once Alabama went on 8 game steak after starting 2-3 no one really cared anymore. Its like in the 90's when the Jaguars tried to say that the Steelers were their biggest rival, and Bill Cowher replied "Its not a rivalry until we say it is". I think the stakes are mostly higher with Bama-Clemson

As for UGA... Its not even close to a rivalry until UGA shows they can beat us, and even then I don't think it is.
I don't like uga, but they are specifically named in our fight song.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.