Dabo on Recruiting in Alabama - “I’m Kind of Like Osama Bin Dabo”

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We won 1 title vs Clemson, and Clemson has won 2 out of 3 against us. Those are the only ones he has coached in. So they are correct if they said it how you said it.

It really doesn’t matter I doubt the Patriots care that 3 out of the last 5 doesn’t have the same ring as 3 out 4. Or that the Steelers are 6-2 in SBs while they are 6-5.
I think what he's getting at (and I somewhat agree) is they are cherry picking data to come to a predetermined desired conclusion. People are wanting so bad for Alabama to be "dethroned" and the dynasty to die. Yeah, Clemson has beaten us in title games two out of the three times we've played in title games. But it's not the only times we've played within the playoff system. Why not mention the time Clemson couldn't even get out of one of the semi-final games because Bama blew them out? For some reason that game is ignored.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think what he's getting at (and I somewhat agree) is they are cherry picking data to come to a predetermined desired conclusion. People are wanting so bad for Alabama to be "dethroned" and the dynasty to die. Yeah, Clemson has beaten us in title games two out of the three times we've played in title games. But it's not the only times we've played within the playoff system. Why not mention the time Clemson couldn't even get out of one of the semi-final games because Bama blew them out? For some reason that game is ignored.
Why does no one mention UGA-Oklahoma? Or Alabama-Ohio State? Because ultimately the game is a footnote. I don’t see why anyone would reference that Alabama or Clemson unless you are just trying to show that Alabama only won because Clemson had Kelly Bryant as a qb or that the rivalry is 2-2. I think the issue should be more about the 2015 game than the 2017 game.

But back to the argument

If it was phrased “Dabo has won 2 out of 3 titles” like the poster phrased it then what does it matter? He has WON 2 out 3 titles just like Saban has won 6 out of 8. It is just stated how good Dabo is, and it isn’t comparing Alabama and Clemson.

If they phrased it “ Dabo has won 2 out of THE LAST 3 titles” it changes the argument because it is clearly ignoring the 2015 game to boost Clemson and Dabo.

But even if it was the 2nd scenario, this goes back to my overall point I made on the numerous Danny Kannel, Joey Galloway, and Cowherd threads( to Little effect it seems) . 1) you are in control of the remote and 2) talking about the greatness of Alabama or the New England Patriots 95% on national sports shows isn’t good business.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I could not agree more strongly...
Why does no one mention UGA-Oklahoma? Or Alabama-Ohio State? Because ultimately the game is a footnote. I don’t see why anyone would reference that Alabama or Clemson unless you are just trying to show that Alabama only won because Clemson had Kelly Bryant as a qb or that the rivalry is 2-2. I think the issue should be more about the 2015 game than the 2017 game.

But back to the argument

If it was phrased “Dabo has won 2 out of 3 titles” like the poster phrased it then what does it matter? He has WON 2 out 3 titles just like Saban has won 6 out of 8. It is just stated how good Dabo is, and it isn’t comparing Alabama and Clemson.

If they phrased it “ Dabo has won 2 out of THE LAST 3 titles” it changes the argument because it is clearly ignoring the 2015 game to boost Clemson and Dabo.

But even if it was the 2nd scenario, this goes back to my overall point I made on the numerous Danny Kannel, Joey Galloway, and Cowherd threads( to Little effect it seems) . 1) you are in control of the remote and 2) talking about the greatness of Alabama or the New England Patriots 95% on national sports shows isn’t good business.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
What really gets me is the media saying he has won 2 out of 3 national titles which would be true if we had only played 3 times but he has actually won 2 out of 4. We won 2 and Clemson won 2.
They HAVE won two of the last three... :cool2:

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Heh, I love Dabo. He's earned his success and he gets to joke around a little about his home state and our rabid fanbase.

Geez, folks are so thin skinned. It's just football. 😉

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

But back to the argument

I have no idea what all national conversations all of us have listened to when discussing this. But what I'm referring to is this "feel" that several talking heads in the media want to deem Clemson as having "passed Alabama" and keep referring to the national title games as their "proof". How they word it is really irrelevant, because the intent is to "prove" that Clemson has surpassed Bama and Bama's dynasty is crumbling or is over. Before this past year's title game, the last time Clemson/Bama met D Payne was catching td passes while he and the rest of the Bama D was suffocating Clemson's offense. But this game, which is just as relevant as the title games, is never mentioned. As if it never was played. I think I know why this game isn't mentioned when this discussion comes up, because it pokes a massive hole in their case. Because let's be honest, Dabo being able to convince his entire NFL bound defensive front to come back and postpone being multi millionaires for an entire year, is THE reason Clemson was in the position they were.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have no idea what all national conversations all of us have listened to when discussing this. But what I'm referring to is this "feel" that several talking heads in the media want to deem Clemson as having "passed Alabama" and keep referring to the national title games as their "proof". How they word it is really irrelevant, because the intent is to "prove" that Clemson has surpassed Bama and Bama's dynasty is crumbling or is over. Before this past year's title game, the last time Clemson/Bama met D Payne was catching td passes while he and the rest of the Bama D was suffocating Clemson's offense. But this game, which is just as relevant as the title games, is never mentioned. As if it never was played. I think I know why this game isn't mentioned when this discussion comes up, because it pokes a massive hole in their case. Because let's be honest, Dabo being able to convince his entire NFL bound defensive front to come back and postpone being multi millionaires for an entire year, is THE reason Clemson was in the position they were.
I think ditching the main reason he lost that game (Kelly Bryant) for a massive upgrade was probably a bigger reason he was in that position than convincing the whole defensive line coming back. Missouri last year probably could’ve been ACC champs.

But that game isn’t mentioned because it is the least meaningful, and less memorable out of the 4 games. In about 15 years I guarantee you when you ask a non Bama or Clemson fan “ who were the starting quarterbacks in the Sugar Bowl between Bama and Clemson” you will get the same confused look as when folks are asked today “ who was the Oklahoma qb in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl vs Boise”.

Yes the game meant something, but had Alabama lost to UGA it wouldn’t mean more than the winner of the Belk Bowl. More or less people value national championship games higher than the Semis. I mean does anyone really care that the Patriots have been to the last 8 AFCCG and are 5-3 in those, or do they care more that they are 3-1 in SBs in the last 5 years?

I think if you listen to sports talk radio or any sports news show as an Alabama fan then you are basically saying either “ I’m okay with different takes” or “ I’m going here to get mad when they trash my team”. Again stating that Alabama is great to a national audience is not profitable, but having a counter argument is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think ditching the main reason he lost that game (Kelly Bryant) for a massive upgrade was probably a bigger reason he was in that position than convincing the whole defensive line coming back. Missouri last year probably could’ve been ACC champs.

But that game isn’t mentioned because it is the least meaningful, and less memorable out of the 4 games. In about 15 years I guarantee you when you ask a non Bama or Clemson fan “ who were the starting quarterbacks in the Sugar Bowl between Bama and Clemson” you will get the same confused look as when folks are asked today “ who was the Oklahoma qb in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl vs Boise”.

Yes the game meant something, but had Alabama lost to UGA it wouldn’t mean more than the winner of the Belk Bowl. More or less people value national championship games higher than the Semis. I mean does anyone really care that the Patriots have been to the last 8 AFCCG and are 5-3 in those, or do they care more that they are 3-1 in SBs in the last 5 years?

I think if you listen to sports talk radio or any sports news show as an Alabama fan then you are basically saying either “ I’m okay with different takes” or “ I’m going here to get mad when they trash my team”. Again stating that Alabama is great to a national audience is not profitable, but having a counter argument is.
I think you're downplaying it a little too much. It was not on the same level as just another BCS bowl. It was a national semi-final. It was for the national championship. The playoffs are the national championship tournament. I'll give you that it is not up to the level of the actual NC game. However, it was the second most important game. A championship was on the line in that game and Clemson was non-competitive.

I agree, they were seriously hampered at QB and that was the story of that game. Dabo obviously realized this and that's why Bryant was shown to the bench despite leading Clemson to an undefeated early season and bailing them out against Texas A&M. Dabo knew he was never winning a title with Bryant.

I do think the media glosses over this game for more than the fact that it was a semi. It feels good to them to prop someone else besides Alabama and Nick Saban. They'd love nothing more than for Dabo and Clemson to truly take over, and to see us fall back to the pack. Ironically, they'll turn on Dabo/Clemson just like they always do to dynasties. And that goes back to your point - it doesn't make money for the national sports media to celebrate dynasties.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think you're downplaying it a little too much. It was not on the same level as just another BCS bowl. It was a national semi-final. It was for the national championship. The playoffs are the national championship tournament. I'll give you that it is not up to the level of the actual NC game. However, it was the second most important game. A championship was on the line in that game and Clemson was non-competitive.

I agree, they were seriously hampered at QB and that was the story of that game. Dabo obviously realized this and that's why Bryant was shown to the bench despite leading Clemson to an undefeated early season and bailing them out against Texas A&M. Dabo knew he was never winning a title with Bryant.

I do think the media glosses over this game for more than the fact that it was a semi. It feels good to them to prop someone else besides Alabama and Nick Saban. They'd love nothing more than for Dabo and Clemson to truly take over, and to see us fall back to the pack. Ironically, they'll turn on Dabo/Clemson just like they always do to dynasties. And that goes back to your point - it doesn't make money for the national sports media to celebrate dynasties.
Of course this is the case, but "they" have to make it appear that they're just reporting the facts. Not that "it's not good for business" or "they're tired of reporting on the same team". So rather than simply saying "Look, it's not good for ratings if all we talked about was Alabama and their greatness. We're also fatigued as reporters of discussing Bama and their greatness." They gather any stat or points of reference such as games to "prove" the "facts".

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's weird disagreeing with both sides of the argument. Honestly, who cares what people say? If we beat them this year then the narrative will change. If they beat us then they ARE the dynasty not us.

Hopefully, we'll get to see Alabama vs Clemson round V because I think it will be a heck of a game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Of course this is the case, but "they" have to make it appear that they're just reporting the facts. Not that "it's not good for business" or "they're tired of reporting on the same team". So rather than simply saying "Look, it's not good for ratings if all we talked about was Alabama and their greatness. We're also fatigued as reporters of discussing Bama and their greatness." They gather any stat or points of reference such as games to "prove" the "facts".
Have you ever watched 1st take or Undisputed? Have you ever noticed that every time they are talking about the Patriots, Alabama, the Warriors, the Sox, or Mayweather one person is totally for them and one person is totally against them? It’s that way on purpose.

Fox doesn’t pay Rob Parker for his accuracy on how “overrated” Tom Brady and the Patriots are, they pay him for his willingness to stupid and obnoxious on live air about why they are going lose or are overrated. It’s more profitable to have differing and arbitrary opinions that doesn’t match reality or the whole truth. They aren’t there to please just the South.

The WWE has found out long ago that heroes need heels to be super. A lot of news and sports shows have followed suit.

Again if you don’t like it just change the channel. It is what what it is.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I’m not downplaying as much as saying that how the 1st poster said it doesn’t seem that biased of a take. “Dabo has won 2 out of 3 national championships”. Why should the Sugar Bowl factor into that statement? Again if they say “ 2 of the LAST 3” then it changes the intent from neutral to biased.

But the Semis are really less meaningful when you look at the NFL. The NFL equivalent is the AFCCG and NFCCG. I doubt many other than Selma can name the last twenty matchups on both sides without looking it up, but I can guarantee you that many can name the Super Bowl matchups even though most SBs are duds compared to the conference championships in that period of time.

Point is yes the semis matter but I doubt you see many Alabama fans with Peach bowl and orange bowl champs gear, or many Clemson fans with Orange bowl champs gear. You might see a few Oregon and UGA fans with Rose Bowl champs gear but look at those fan bases.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's weird disagreeing with both sides of the argument. Honestly, who cares what people say? If we beat them this year then the narrative will change. If they beat us then they ARE the dynasty not us.

Hopefully, we'll get to see Alabama vs Clemson round V because I think it will be a heck of a game.
I'd actually rather them go about 9-3 this year and miss out on conference or national championship. Yes, revenge would be nice, but seeing them flounder would be more enjoyable for me.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'd actually rather them go about 9-3 this year and miss out on conference or national championship. Yes, revenge would be nice, but seeing them flounder would be more enjoyable for me.
I'd be ok with that too but let me put it this way. If its Alabama vs Clemson V for the NCG I am going to sell a kidney to go. If we make it and play basically anyone else I probably won't be spending the money. So, I'd prefer getting to see that game(especially if we win). Could be epic.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Have you ever watched 1st take or Undisputed? Have you ever noticed that every time they are talking about the Patriots, Alabama, the Warriors, the Sox, or Mayweather one person is totally for them and one person is totally against them? It’s that way on purpose.

Fox doesn’t pay Rob Parker for his accuracy on how “overrated” Tom Brady and the Patriots are, they pay him for his willingness to stupid and obnoxious on live air about why they are going lose or are overrated. It’s more profitable to have differing and arbitrary opinions that doesn’t match reality or the whole truth. They aren’t there to please just the South.

The WWE has found out long ago that heroes need heels to be super. A lot of news and sports shows have followed suit.

Again if you don’t like it just change the channel. It is what what it is.
I get it. I'm not arguing why they do it. I'm just saying it's very disingenuous and laughable that you see journalists/reporters basically morph into a horrible B rated actor to argue a point even they know is ridiculous. Paul Finebaum is the king of it. He's made a ton of money out of it. Hence, the reason (among others) that my viewing of these type shows has dropped about 90% over the last several years.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Again if they say “ 2 of the LAST 3” then it changes the intent from neutral to biased.
This makes no sense to me. It is a FACT to say “Clemson has won 2 of the last 3 titles.” It’s not biased...it’s the truth.

Bama has won 2 of the last 4 titles, that is also a fact. Nothing biased about it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This makes no sense to me. It is a FACT to say “Clemson has won 2 of the last 3 titles.” It’s not biased...it’s the truth.

Bama has won 2 of the last 4 titles, that is also a fact. Nothing biased about it.
Because it clearly cuts off another national championship they played for. 3 years isn't a number usually used to give a range of things. Bama and Clemson have split the last 4 national championships with one another. Saying "Dabo has won 2 out of 3 national championships" and " Dabo has won two of the last 3 national championships" are two true statements but the latter is more angled towards Dabo/ Clemson is passing Alabama than the former.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Because it clearly cuts off another national championship they played for. 3 years isn't a number usually used to give a range of things.
UF won 2 out of 3 under Meyer (2006, 2008). We won 2 out of 3 (and later 3 out of 4). Both times, plenty of people said “They have won 2 out of 3 titles”. I guess I don’t understand why people have issues with the media bringing up this fact with Clemson.

Edit: removed the last part of my post. I misunderstood a part of your argument.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Saying "Dabo has won 2 out of 3 national championships" and " Dabo has won two of the last 3 national championships" are two true statements but the latter is more angled towards Dabo/ Clemson is passing Alabama than the former.
Respectfully, I think you are reading too much into it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.