First a Final Four, and now this?

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
As far as Auburn baseball, they got a good draw this year. Georgia Tech rarely wins when it hosts a regional. In 2010, we came out of the losers bracket to beat them twice in Atlanta. North Carolina was not quite as good this year as in years past.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can wish Ill on Pearl and Gus’s seasons but I have a hard time wishing Ill on Thompson. He has too much class and he really is a great coach that probably should be coaching at Mississippi St or a better place than Auburn.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I can wish Ill on Pearl and Gus’s seasons but I have a hard time wishing Ill on Thompson. He has too much class and he really is a great coach that probably should be coaching at Mississippi St or a better place than Auburn.
I agree I have always liked Thompson as well, as far as the Gus bus goes I hope the barn keeps him around for years. I absolutely despise Pearl,but the way I feel about Auburn in general he is in right place in my opinion.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I just thought it was a funny meme. The first time I'd ever heard of Butch Thompson was when I saw this image.
This is his third season at Auburn and as you can see he had turned that program around in just a couple seasons. He was an assistant at State and of course you see where they are. He helped bring in some of their older players who have played key roles for State this season. In short the guy knows baseball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just thought it was a funny meme. The first time I'd ever heard of Butch Thompson was when I saw this image.
It’s funny. We weren’t commenting on it not being funny or not. the point is one of the three isn’t like the others. BT isn’t a donkey like the Gus, Pearl, and Dean. BT has far more class and coaching props than any of his peers.

bamabaseballfan

1st Team
Aug 9, 2007
Birmingham, AL
This is his third season at Auburn and as you can see he had turned that program around in just a couple seasons. He was an assistant at State and of course you see where they are. He helped bring in some of their older players who have played key roles for State this season. In short the guy knows baseball.
There is no doubt he is a great coach. I’ve been a huge fan of his coaching since he was at Birmingham Southern. But, the Auburn program he took over was in vastly better shape than the our program even in the last days of CMG. If he doesn’t move up the coaching ladder, Auburn will continue to be a perennial contender for Super Regionals and Omaha.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
It's a huge accomplishment making it to Omaha, and even though it didn't work out for them I very much envy them for getting there.

rtr

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
It's a huge accomplishment making it to Omaha, and even though it didn't work out for them I very much envy them for getting there.

rtr
I agree heck of a year they had and likely will be very good again next season, but I"m not going to be shedding any tears over them going 2 and bar-b-que either.;)

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I agree heck of a year they had and likely will be very good again next season, but I"m not going to be shedding any tears over them going 2 and bar-b-que either.;)
I can honestly say unlike in football and most other sports, I don't have a huge disdain for other teams. Most all college baseball players are solid citizens and students, giving me real reason to go pull for them. They don't do a lot of showing up other players, so I am cool with basically all teams. I just pull for Alabama more than others. Once the regionals, super regionals, and CWS start, if Alabama isn't playing in it, I pull for SEC teams and teams more local to me (FSU). I would like to see #11 get him a national championship, he has been great for college baseball and is a classy person.

Maybe I am just getting old....

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I generally pull for SEC teams, AU is the obvious exception, and it seems Vandy is our best chance to win the tourney.

I just can't pull for FSU. They get the same special treatment as Duke/Kansas/UNC receive in March Madness. I have nothing against Martin as I'm sure he is a great guy, a legend in Tallahassee, and all that. However, isn't this his 17th trip to the CWS times and his team has never won a title? That says a couple of things to me: a) his route to the CWS has always been rather easy (how many times has FAMU or Bethune been sent there), and they almost always have had the advantage of hosting both the regional and super, or b) his teams haven't been as good as people seem to think or he isn't as good a coach as folks make him out to be. I realize that may be an unpopular view, but 0-16 speaks volumes and you can't chalk all of them up to bad luck. Coach Saban has had us in 7 national championship games and we've won 5, but imagine what people would say about us and/or him if we were 0-7 in those games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I generally pull for SEC teams, AU is the obvious exception, and it seems Vandy is our best chance to win the tourney.

That says a couple of things to me: a) his route to the CWS has always been rather easy (how many times has FAMU or Bethune been sent there), and they almost always have had the advantage of hosting both the regional and super, or b) his teams haven't been as good as people seem to think or he isn't as good a coach as folks make him out to be. I realize that may be an unpopular view, but 0-16 speaks volumes and you can't chalk all of them up to bad luck. Coach Saban has had us in 7 national championship games and we've won 5, but imagine what people would say about us and/or him if we were 0-7 in those games.
That's like saying Coastal Carolina is a better program than Mississippi State because they have won the tournament. Its extremely difficult to win tournaments even when you have the best team. Mississippi State has been 11 times with no championships while Coastal has been once and has 1 championship. It could come down to one bad day sending you to a loser's bracket and your mojo is just dead afterwards or the climb to the title is just too great. I mean FSU is not better than 3/4ths of the teams that made it to Omaha, and Arkansas is better than 1/2 of them but who is in and who is not?

FSU is also in a super conference as well with teams like Miami, Georgia Tech, Louisville, and North Carolina. Its pretty amazing that he has reached Omaha as many times with these deep programs as he has.

Also consider Martin's two runner up runs were in single elimination finals. He probably would've won it all in 1999 had it been in the current setup. I know many believe if Jim Wells had a series vs LSU in 1997 the story might've been flipped.

Point is that Him not winning it after 17 tries doesn't make him an inferior coach to anyone who has won it just once. Winning the NC in basketball and baseball is a miracle, winning a national championship in football and softball comes down to who has the best team with a little luck

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Dan Marino won a bunch of football games but never a super bowl and because of that he often isn't viewed in the same light as some lesser talented qb's that did win one or even two (Eli Manning). Little doubt in my mind that Dan>Eli. I tend to see Martin in a similar vein - won more college games than anyone else but the lack of a title, given the number of opportunities to win one, lands him a tier below some other coaches.
I'm not trying to disprove or change your point of view, just as your post hasn't done anything to change mine.
Doesn't mean I'm right, but it is my viewpoint.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Dan Marino won a bunch of football games but never a super bowl and because of that he often isn't viewed in the same light as some lesser talented qb's that did win one or even two (Eli Manning). Little doubt in my mind that Dan>Eli. I tend to see Martin in a similar vein - won more college games than anyone else but the lack of a title, given the number of opportunities to win one, lands him a tier below some other coaches.
I'm not trying to disprove or change your point of view, just as your post hasn't done anything to change mine.
Doesn't mean I'm right, but it is my viewpoint.
If we are comparing Dan Marino’s SBs to an equivalent for Martin then Martin has been to 2 finals to Dan’s 1 SB. Otherwise it’s 17-10.

I still think the difficulty of winning a national championship in baseball is just below winning it in basketball.

Personally I think Martin is a great coach but not one of the greatest of all time. I would put him in the top 100, probably top 50 somewhere, maybe in the Top 20, but not too 10. But again remember most of his greatest teams had the misfortune of having to face some of the greatest Miami and Texas teams ever along with some teams with crazy runs. It’s not like he is losing to a Stoney Brook team.

But it’s again a matter of opinion. But you have to have a serious degree of luck to win it all in Omaha.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.