Next Head Coach; Dabo, Kirby, or Jimbo

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
LOL! Your kidding, right?

We ARE talking about it, right? Peewee Herman wasn't available and Saban was just getting Dooley a chance to step up...

Seriously, I don't believe for a second that CNS would have recommended Dooley to replace himself if that were the situation at that particular time. :cool2:
It's well known he also recommended Houston Nutt as his replacement when leaving LSU.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Out of those three I'd definitely say Dabo. I didn't like what I saw from Jimbo in his last season at FSU. While he did lose his starting QB that season he never found a way to adjust and I think a great coach would have. Things were in a shambles there at the end of that season and if he would have stayed and had another bad season they would have run him out of town. Kirby is at his alma mater and if he creates a dynasty there he will stay and they will pay him a lot to keep him. If they get rid of Kirby at Georgia then we really don't want him coming to Bama. I feel by the time Saban retires Dabo may grow weary of Clemson and be looking for a new challenge. I also feel Dabo views the Bama HC job as his dream job although right now he is being careful not to make it obvious.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Know it has been on the internet for a long time, but has anyone ever found a direct quote from someone actually verifying this?

I ask as I suspect it's just an internet rumor.
I believe he said it, but I’ve always took it as a joke. Nutt pulled one out of his rear against Saban and overnight became “That coach” until he showed he really wasn’t all that. I’ve always took it as Lee saying “McClellan was the greatest union general in the war”. Everyone knew it wasn’t true, but it got a few people to think of the possibility of it being true.

I’ve always thought Pinkel was the better coach in the region but never got the credit because he played in a a deeper conference and usually had the results you would expect in that situation.

Saban going to bat for Dooley, MAC, and mush was expected. But I doubt he truly meant it as a joke if he said it about nutt.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think it will be funny when he fails and needs Nick for job rehab!
I would almost want kiffin back with all of his antics before Kirby. At least kiffin could give you 75% of the season. Kirby made joe Burrow look like a competent quarterback. Kirby is an overrated defensive mind that stole Phil Fulmer’s Johnny majors back stabbing knife. We should’ve told him to go after 2014.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
If it were up to me, we would go throw the bank at Bob Stoops out of retirement and make him say no. He is a proven HC at the college level, is under 60 years of age, and would revolutionize our O and by all accounts has a good relationship with Saban.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Kirby’s a good coach, with a lack of ethics, even relative to the standards today. Plus he nuked a lot of bridges on his way out from Tuscaloosa. Anyway, he’s not leaving Athens except under circumstances that would make him less desirable than he already is.

First, I’d make Dabo tell me no. I don’t think he’d leave Clemson, but you have to offer.

After that, whoever you suggest has holes in his resume. Jimbo’s end at FSU was so ugly, I’m not sure he can be trusted. So today, second for me would be Mullen.

I also think Pruitt has a chance, provided he keeps UTe on their upward trajectory. We’ll just have to see how that turns out.

As I’ve posted before, it’s a lot easier to throw rocks at any name that might be thrown out there, than it is to come up with one you’ll support. So if you don’t like any of these names, who should it be?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For quite some time I’ve read messages alluding to the things that happened under Dubose which somehow implemented Dabo too....I still don’t understand this line of reasoning, but I do think DABO is more principled than Kirby or Jimbo and is a better coach too. I think he would be my personal choice to replace Nick whenever that year comes; WHAT SAY YOU?
not-again-smh-memes-com-14385287.png

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For quite some time I’ve read messages alluding to the things that happened under Dubose which somehow implemented Dabo too....I still don’t understand this line of reasoning, but I do think DABO is more principled than Kirby or Jimbo and is a better coach too. I think he would be my personal choice to replace Nick whenever that year comes; WHAT SAY YOU?
Having vented my spleen...

1) We have no choice but to inquire of Dabo, plain and simple. The caveat is whether there's more to this PED thing at Clemson than we know at present.

2) Kirby Smart is likely a lifer at Georgia unless they fire him.

He went to school there, he knows the campus and the drill, and he's never going to be under the pressure to win the national championship that he would be here.
Should he win one, he's pretty much set until he wants to go.

3) Jimbo Fisher

For the life of me, I don't understand the infatuation with this guy.

Is he a GOOD coach? Probably.

But in nine years as a head coach, he has four losses (or more) SIX times in nine years. His three years with 2 or fewer losses were consecutively. Then let's throw in the following observations:
a) his rise coincided with Urban Meyer leaving Florida and Miami cratering
b) his two blockbuster years (2013 and 2014) coincided with Jameis Winston at QB
c) even in those two blockbuster years.....well okay, he blew out everybody not named Auburn in 2013. But in 2014, he had SEVEN one-score games, and his team looked more like 2010 Auburn just scraping by.....and eventually it caught up to him.
d) he's 18-14 overall against ranked teams.....and he was 8-1 in those games during Winston's tenure, making him 10-13 in games against ranked foes without Winston.

Keep in mind, you can't really use the "but he inherited blah blah" on Fisher because he was running the show for figurehead Bowden in Bobby's last 2 years, and they basically ran the legend away from town.

4) Bob Stoops

Get out of here. Not only not going to happen, but I wouldn't want him anyway.

5) Other Coaches I Don't Want or who Ain't Coming
Dan Mullen - if he's successful at UF, he's not leaving; if he leaves under duress, why would we want him?
Chris Petersen - he's a 9-3 coach at best in the SEC

6) Coaches to Watch and Possibly Consider up the Line
Matt Campbell (Iowa St)
Mario Cristobal (Oregon)
Mel Tucker (Colorado)
Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee)

7) Hell, No
Hugh Freeze
Art Briles
Urban Meyer (I hear he's in line to replace Gus at Auburn)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think a better conversation is what "type" of coach does Bama need to remain championship level? I think it would be foolish to think we're going to replace Nick Saban with another "Nick Saban" type coach. His type is generational, much like Coach Bryant. But, I don't think Bama needs one of the greatest coaches in college football history to still be championship level. However, to have a run like we've had the last 11 years, we do. Which I don't expect to see it again in my lifetime.

Saban will probably leave the program in healthy shape (much like he did LSU) which should be VERY attractive for any top notch coach looking to make a move.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think a better conversation is what "type" of coach does Bama need to remain championship level? I think it would be foolish to think we're going to replace Nick Saban with another "Nick Saban" type coach. His type is generational, much like Coach Bryant. But, I don't think Bama needs one of the greatest coaches in college football history to still be championship level. However, to have a run like we've had the last 11 years, we do. Which I don't expect to see it again in my lifetime.

Saban will probably leave the program in healthy shape (much like he did LSU) which should be VERY attractive for any top notch coach looking to make a move.
so you're saying we should hire les miles?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

1) We have no choice but to inquire of Dabo, plain and simple. The caveat is whether there's more to this PED thing at Clemson than we know at present.

He went to school there, he knows the campus and the drill, and he's never going to be under the pressure to win the national championship that he would be here.

3) Jimbo Fisher

But in nine years as a head coach, he has four losses (or more) SIX times in nine years. His three years with 2 or fewer losses were consecutively. Then let's throw in the following observations:
b) his two blockbuster years (2013 and 2014) coincided with Jameis Winston at QB
c) even in those two blockbuster years.....well okay, he blew out everybody not named Auburn in 2013. But in 2014, he had SEVEN one-score games, and his team looked more like 2010 Auburn just scraping by.....and eventually it caught up to him.
d) he's 18-14 overall against ranked teams.....and he was 8-1 in those games during Winston's tenure, making him 10-13 in games against ranked foes without Winston.

Keep in mind, you can't really use the "but he inherited blah blah" on Fisher because he was running the show for figurehead Bowden in Bobby's last 2 years, and they basically ran the legend away from town.

4) Bob Stoops

Dan Mullen - if he's successful at UF, he's not leaving; if he leaves under duress, why would we want him?

Matt Campbell (Iowa St)
Mario Cristobal (Oregon)
Mel Tucker (Colorado)

7) Hell, No
Hugh Freeze
Art Briles
My sources say USCw wants him. Maybe, maybe not, who knows, who cares.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
None of the above. Coach is going to stay 4-5 more years, most likely, and by that time who knows? I have been saying that Pruitt would get the job given any kind of success at UTK, but five years is a long time in the coaching world. Hell, Freddie may make a huge splash in Cleveland, take a bit of a dip afterwards, and actively pursue the job when it comes open. The possibilities are endless.

rtr

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

3) Jimbo Fisher

4) Bob Stoops

Matt Campbell (Iowa St)
Mario Cristobal (Oregon)
Mel Tucker (Colorado)

7) Hell, No
Hugh Freeze
Art Briles
I'm not as sure as you are that we couldn't get a successful Mullen from Florida. He has no ties there, other than the four years he was OC under Urban Meyer, which I would offer was more about Meyer than it was UF. He's from New Hampshire, played college ball at Ursinius. As an assistant, he's bounced around all over, largely following Meyer around until he got the MSU job. Assuming Saban leaves the program in good shape (and I'd be most surprised if he doesn't) I think we'd have a chance. Is there an emotional attachment to UF that I don't know about?

I like the Matt Campbell possibility. We'll have to see if he continues to build at ISU, but he's done a good job at a place where it's tough to win.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I like the Matt Campbell possibility. We'll have to see if he continues to build at ISU, but he's done a good job at a place where it's tough to win.
He was a name floated by some NFL people last year. Would not be surprised if he takes the leap if offered.

A tough pull because he's at his alma mater but a guy I would consider is Pat Fitzgerald.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not a chance...That kid will be buried in Purple...
He was a name floated by some NFL people last year. Would not be surprised if he takes the leap if offered.

A tough pull because he's at his alma mater but a guy I would consider is Pat Fitzgerald.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.