Question: Time for a new TV... - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Time for a new TV...

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    I'll have to go through and look later. I used a template to begin but had to adjust to my eyes. IIRC, my OLED Light is in the 20's or 30's. Can't remember the rest.
    Rtings has a pretty good breakdown, but you gotta start somewhere...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Black levels on OLED are tremendous. Burn-in issues are very real though. Not having it on the brightest level will definitely help.

I have a 70 Sony LED. Im good to go.

My nephew came and helped me move around the circle of TVs. We got the new LG in place early enough to catch the end of the open. I was impressed with the factory settings, TBF. I'm not sure I could improve them...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    My nephew came and helped me move around the circle of TVs. We got the new LG in place early enough to catch the end of the open. I was impressed with the factory settings, TBF. I'm not sure I could improve them...
    The upgrade in quality is a bit overwhelming at first. You'll find nits to pick.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

I'll have to go through and look later. I used a template to begin but had to adjust to my eyes. IIRC, my OLED Light is in the 20's or 30's. Can't remember the rest.
    Actually, the plasma was a Panasonic...

Did you get the settings to your liking?
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Did you get the settings to your liking?
    The story is too long for here. The first X1 box from Comcast, capable of 4K, was defective. Now, they're supposedly shipping me a replacement. As you can see, that series of events started back on June 13. The mistreatment by Comcast was enough that I came within an eyelash of changing to AT&T. However, customer service for AT&T has taken a nose-dive. Since the Trump tax cut, they have fired 7K people and outsourced CS to overseas. There are equally as many horror stories with them as Comcast now. I'll report back after receiving the new box, if it works. I had in mind the ladies World Cup when I bought the TV set. That has now come and gone...

There were many intermediate steps I've left off...

Sounds like AT&T . I hate that they took over DirecTV. I left their cell service for a reason.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

FB|BB Moderator

I've come to the conclusion that there is no longer any provider of tech services offering even marginally decent customer service. Applies to phone, cable / satellite TV, Internet, what have you.

I've gotten upset and switched carriers, only to get crappy service at the new place, along with the learning curve on using the new service -- the worst of both worlds.

Cutting the cord would appear to be an option for television, but in TF threads on that topic, it appears to be no more reliable than cable / satellite, and highly dependent on the ISP, which might or might not be related to the TV service....so round and round you go.

My solution has been to pick the one with the least bad local reputation for customer service, steel myself for the ensuing fiasco, and see it through to the end. The alternative of switching is just not likely enough to yield a better experience.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that there is no longer any provider of tech services offering even marginally decent customer service. Applies to phone, cable / satellite TV, Internet, what have you.

I've gotten upset and switched carriers, only to get crappy service at the new place, along with the learning curve on using the new service -- the worst of both worlds.

Cutting the cord would appear to be an option for television, but in TF threads on that topic, it appears to be no more reliable than cable / satellite, and highly dependent on the ISP, which might or might not be related to the TV service....so round and round you go.

My solution has been to pick the one with the least bad local reputation for customer service, steel myself for the ensuing fiasco, and see it through to the end. The alternative of switching is just not likely enough to yield a better experience.
    One problem is that that rep can be a moving target. My closest friend retired after 35 years with BellSouth/AT&T. He's the one who warned me off AT&T. Immediately after the Trump tax cut, AT&T ballyhooed that they were about to hire thousands. Instead, they fired the 7K and everyone left fears for his/her job. And, as I said, they outsourced CS overseas. Their older reviews are sterling. Their newer reviews suck...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

We dismissed AT&T internet two months ago. Our internet service was so poor it had to be reset every 1-2 hours. It was infuriating. Even when it worked it was miserably slow.

We we now have Comcast. So far the service has been sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    We dismissed AT&T internet two months ago. Our internet service was so poor it had to be reset every 1-2 hours. It was infuriating. Even when it worked it was miserably slow.

We we now have Comcast. So far the service has been sterling.
    As I said above, we decided to stay with Comcast for the time being, owing to recent developments at AT&T. I pay for 150 mps and get 180 regularly, which is all I need. The replacement box is arriving tomorrow. After waiting 10 days for the first one, only to find out the rep didn't know what she was doing, so the correct codes were never entered, another saying it was already on the way, UPS now assures me that it's en-route. The real kicker is Google, around here. They're now on the south end of the mountain, about a mile from me. They had to start over because the poles were overloaded, so they've sunk auxiliary poles beside the old. Google's gotten their noses bloodied in some markets where they've tried to bury fiber with pavement slits and have pulled out, leaving people hanging. This is even true in their original city, KC. OTOH, Huntsville Utilities is building the infrastructure here and Google is just the initial tenant, after which it'll be open to any ISP who wants to compete. That's got to be a good thing...