Question: Time for a new TV...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Years ago (15+) when they finally got cable internet around my parents house, 10miles NW of Florence, I tried to convince my Dad to switch from dialup to cable and he refused for a long time. After a few months I got a call from him and he couldn't stop talking about how much faster 5mbs cable was than 54kbs dialup. I felt the same way going from 1mb DSL ->5mb cable ->20mb cable ->75mb cable -> 1gb fiber :D I've said I would pay double for this speed if necessary.
I'm beginning to think that the old illustration in functions and limits of making it halfway to town each day is at work here...

Reactions: Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, mostly good news, with aggravation small enough to be categorized as, “expected.”

FINALLY got the TV and AV re-connected and working today. Fortunately, TV appears to work fine.

Which is a good thing. Because due to a long sad shaggy dog story, installation was delayed well beyond what would have qualified for a free shipping on a return.

Picture is great, and while it dominates the room a bit, I don’t mind. Guessing when football is back, it’ll be great. Meanwhile, we’ll watch BluRays of Alabama games with happy endings.

Only sticking point is kind of to be expected. We now have a TV, BluRay, CD player, vinyl turntable and two speaker zones (one for the main room, and one covering four pairs of speakers in other parts of the house), plus, hopefully, AirPlay. So it’s a lot, and required some re-programming of the universal remote.

A few glitches on that point, primarily due to some Infra-Red (IR) overlaps in some places and gaps in others. AV crew understands the problem, and is coming back with IR ”bugs”, which they are confident will fix everything. Fingers crossed there.

Unexpected bonus: We‘d been having some problems with peripheral speakers not getting signal. Turns out, it was gradual failure of a pre-amp / distributor (didn’t know there was such a thing until now). We replaced it, and the difference is sound, even in the main area, is like going from one of those old self-contained record players to your first true stereo system (OFC reference there).

So, bottom line:
TV — great

B&H — first class

Shipping carrier — did their job just right — delivered a large package of sensitive cargo on time and in good shape. So far, no apparent damage.

AV crew — Incomplete, but positive so far. Attention to detail on what they call “dressing” (organizing wires, hiding them from public view, and making them as unobtrusive as possible within the cabinet) was first-rate professional. Most stuff works fine.

TBD on tying up the loose ends, but I would be surprised if the performance profile fell apart at this point. Still, not done yet.

My and Mrs. Basket Case’s learning curve on changes from previous setup — TBD.
Finally got it all in yesterday.

The IR bugs took 2+ weeks to ship due to USPS delays — those things are real, guys.

Had to send Mrs. Basket Case on a run to switch out a Comcast cable box, and there was some drama with a software update that needed to be done, but wasn’t communicated by the component.

But bottom line is that we’re up and running. All appears to be fine.....so far, anyway.

And it’s nice to have it all in. Between replacing floors, getting built-in cabinets / shelves / mantel constructed and installed, and the AV re-work (due to the construction, two complete rounds of tear down & setup), we’ve been doing work-arounds for one thing or another for about 4 months now.

I’ll update further only if there are problems.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wanna share some pics, @4Q Basket Case ? :)
Here you go. First one is with everything closed up, as it normally looks. Paused the DVD on Devonta crossing the goal line on 2nd and 26 :

BuiltIns_1.jpg

Next is with it opened up, which shows the stuff that caused it to be such a drawn-out project:

BuiltIns_2.jpg

In the Far Left cabinet space are Mrs. Basket Case's photo albums (she likes to scrapbook). Left-Center space is our vinyl records. On Right-Center is the Strong AV rack, which, long story short, drove a lot of the dimensions for the entire project. The drawers you see on the Far Right are sized for audio CDs, and have plastic inserts that hold them upright so you see the name of the CD as you look down into the drawer.

It was a major league PITA, and I don't care to go through the process again, but we came out on the other side happy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here you go. First one is with everything closed up, as it normally looks. Paused the DVD on Devonta crossing the goal line on 2nd and 26 :

View attachment 10195

Next is with it opened up, which shows the stuff that caused it to be such a drawn-out project:

View attachment 10196

In the Far Left cabinet space are Mrs. Basket Case's photo albums (she likes to scrapbook). Left-Center space is our vinyl records. On Right-Center is the Strong AV rack, which, long story short, drove a lot of the dimensions for the entire project. The drawers you see on the Far Right are sized for audio CDs, and have plastic inserts that hold them upright so you see the name of the CD as you look down into the drawer.

It was a major league PITA, and I don't care to go through the process again, but we came out on the other side happy.
I finally turned down mounting above the fireplace because of the long-term effects of the heat on the electronics and the mounting being above eye level when seated. However, in our case, the hearth is also elevated about 16" above the floor level, which would have raised it further...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I finally turned down mounting above the fireplace because of the long-term effects of the heat on the electronics and the mounting being above eye level when seated. However, in our case, the hearth is also elevated about 16" above the floor level, which would have raised it further...
We don’t use the fireplace, so heat isn’t an issue. But you’re absolutely right about the viewing angle.

That’s why the mantel in the picture is new. It’s as low as code will allow above a fireplace, and about a foot lower than the old one.

It made a huge difference, though if it weren’t for the building code, I would have had it an additional 8-10 inches lower still.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was originally going to hang my TV above my fireplace. I was talked out of it and moved it further towards the corner of the living room. It worked out better since I received a large painting that looks better above the fireplace.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We don’t use the fireplace, so heat isn’t an issue. But you’re absolutely right about the viewing angle.

That’s why the mantel in the picture is new. It’s as low as code will allow above a fireplace, and about a foot lower than the old one.

It made a huge difference, though if it weren’t for the building code, I would have had it an additional 8-10 inches lower still.
That was what I expected, with use of the fireplace. Ours houses unvented logs, so there's a blast furnace of heat coming out when we use it. I actually had a local welding shop fabricate a "ledge" onto the fireplace door frame, to divert some more of the heat out into the room. Putting a TV up there was out of the question...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.