Question: Time for a new TV...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I’m learning that DirectTv isn’t the only provider with 4K thanks to this.

In regards to new TVs in general, had to setup a couple of new VIZIOs at church a few weeks ago. They had an option to name the inputs. Wish my parents had that. Wouldn’t have my dad calling “Hey, which one do I select for the Blu-ray?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think they all do now, other than the minor mom and pops. All professional cameras now record at 4K, which doesn't mean the networks and other content creators put it out in anything other than 1080. That is handy, though. IDK if my new LG has that option or not. They are overnighting the new box. I'm supposed to get it tomorrow...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'm not talking about the modem. I own my own modem. I'm talking about a 4K capable cable box. I explored the option of picking one up instead of shipping today. The nearest one was in Winchester, TN...
I don't have a cable box anymore, but I have had that break too. I got offered the $70 service call then too. I declined and returned it myself. I ended up cutting the cord shortly after that. That stupid $70 "service call is the biggest scam they all run. How on earth can they charge me for something that is not my fault? It is their equipment that breaks, yet they charge me for their faulty equipment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't have a cable box anymore, but I have had that break too. I got offered the $70 service call then too. I declined and returned it myself. I ended up cutting the cord shortly after that. That stupid $70 "service call is the biggest scam they all run. How on earth can they charge me for something that is not my fault? It is their equipment that breaks, yet they charge me for their faulty equipment.
It didn't make sense to me either. Of course, if one's called for, they now say it's free. The girl said that the tech could check everything out. I pointed out that I was already paying them several dollars a month for that service. They say that doesn't cover installations, normally. I pointed out that, each time one of the boxes didn't work, I just plugged in the old one and, as soon as it could boot up, I had all of the channels back normally. That proves it's the boxes. I need to explore cable-cutting again, I guess. The last time I looked, I found that a lot of the channels I regularly watch, I couldn't get. We watch one or two movies a year, although we always mean to watch more. Other than that, we watch no series. I watch nonfiction and news, just as I read 98% nonfiction. A Netflix subscription would be wasted on us...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I probably should throw into the thread requests about info on cord cutting. The new TV is "smart." It looks like DirecTVNow has the most of what I watch. It doesn't have the Discovery Channel family, which is disappointing, since that's a big chunk of my watching. Also, their premium package is $70. My internet with Comcast jumps $30 when I unbundle, so no savings at all. Is cord cutting and streaming mostly for movie/comedy series watchers?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I probably should throw into the thread requests about info on cord cutting. The new TV is "smart." It looks like DirecTVNow has the most of what I watch. It doesn't have the Discovery Channel family, which is disappointing, since that's a big chunk of my watching. Also, their premium package is $70. My internet with Comcast jumps $30 when I unbundle, so no savings at all. Is cord cutting and streaming mostly for movie/comedy series watchers?
We have YouTube TV and love it so far. It's been great. It has Discovery, but I don't see any other Discovery channels.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You get almost every sports channel with Hulu or Youtube TV. I am pretty happy with Hulu. Keep in mind with streaming you are not "live" and posters in game threads can spoil it for you.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not very long (a couple of seconds IIRC). Depends on your internet.
With Comcast currently, it's 180 mps. So, I'm still behind air. If there's an ABC or CBS football game, for example, it's about 4-5 seconds. Our little kitchen TV is on air, so I can tell. Of course, that would make it impossible for me to moderate a game thread. Looking at the holes with the streaming services, being a cord-cutter doesn't look to be in my future...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
With Comcast currently, it's 180 mps. So, I'm still behind air. If there's an ABC or CBS football game, for example, it's about 4-5 seconds. Our little kitchen TV is on air, so I can tell. Of course, that would make it impossible for me to moderate a game thread. Looking at the holes with the streaming services, being a cord-cutter doesn't look to be in my future...
I could see where that would be an issue for you. I stay out of the game threads and only checking in at halftime. A few seconds could be a big deal for you. With streaming, I cut my bill in half so I am very happy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And so it goes. This time, instead of a DVR box, a tiny wireless box arrived. I took them up on their free tech installation...20190712_144928[1].jpg

PS: Sorry. In vertical format on phone. Tidefans converts it to lanscape...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I could see where that would be an issue for you. I stay out of the game threads and only checking in at halftime. A few seconds could be a big deal for you. With streaming, I cut my bill in half so I am very happy.
For my watching habits, it doesn't seem to save anything and still doesn't cover everything I watch. It is somewhat better than the last time I checked it out...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Before I negotiated our DirecTV bill into a lower-than-streaming cost, we piloted Youtube.TV, Hulu, Sling, Directv Now, Philo, and PlaystationVue over the course of several weeks. We had made the decision to go with Youtube.TV because there seemed to be a much better picture and little lag or buffering.

As a reminder, you can go to https://www.suppose.tv/ to identify the channels you want to have and it will give you the best package(s) to get those channels.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, since this has obviously become "rocket science" for your provider, maybe one of the local Nasa folks can help you out :D
I wish! Last night, since I'm stuck with it at least until Monday, I tried to install the little wireless box. I tried three times to get hooked to the LAN automatically and I tried manually, which is a tedious task. I kept getting the error message "Sorry, this is not working. Call us at 1-800-xxx-xxxx and we'll get this cleared up promptly." Of course, I think talking to one more unknowledgeable Comcast rep would make me throw up. I guess it's a choice of staying with Comcast, or AT&T or Google, both fiber, for me. Not only do none of the company's programming quite fit me, the delay in sports would make game thread moderating impossible...

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If google fiber were available (as we were promised in our area it would be ... 3 years ago) I would have gone with them in a heartbeat. I saw it in their retail space in downtown ATL and it was awesome plus our speed was about 25mbps back then. Now with AT&T Fiber it's 1gb. AT&T Fiber has not once given me a single issue (other than a modem went out about 1 year in) in that time so I'm very happy with them.

You should try the 5-day free trial with Youtube.TV and see the delay & how that works in your location / ISP (if you haven't already).

For others, Clark Howard has a good, recent, comparison of the providers and Wirecutter.com has a good "cutting the cord" series of reviews.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If google fiber were available (as we were promised in our area it would be ... 3 years ago) I would have gone with them in a heartbeat. I saw it in their retail space in downtown ATL and it was awesome plus our speed was about 25mbps back then. Now with AT&T Fiber it's 1gb. AT&T Fiber has not once given me a single issue (other than a modem went out about 1 year in) in that time so I'm very happy with them.

You should try the 5-day free trial with Youtube.TV and see the delay & how that works in your location / ISP (if you haven't already).

For others, Clark Howard has a good, recent, comparison of the providers and Wirecutter.com has a good "cutting the cord" series of reviews.
Thanks, Brett. I've looked at couple of other comparison sites and no single streaming service really gives me what I usually watch, so the delay is not an issue. I'm just not a candidate. At this point, provided Comcast comes through and delivers on getting 4K service up and running, I'll stay with them while waiting for Google. Google is about a mile away, but, as I said above, the problem is that's where they've been for a year. Huntsville Utilities, again, owns the fiber and Google rents it. Google's channel lineup has what I watch. They haven't had all the layoffs that AT&T went through and their CS record is good. I'll post Monday after the tech leaves, now that I've added this many chapters to the account...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.