What happened to those selecting baseball over football?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Anyone recall the names of stud HS football players offered by CNS but deciding to go baseball after being drafted and offered some money? Did anyone with a Tide offer turn out to be an all-star? Or even a full time starter?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only baseball players I can really remember CNS recruiting that were big names in both sports were Destin Hood, Jamies Winston, and Keith Holcomb. Im positive that there are way more, but since 2012 I havent really been super committed to following recruiting as I was prior.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only baseball players I can really remember CNS recruiting that were big names in both sports were Destin Hood, Jamies Winston, and Keith Holcomb. Im positive that there are way more, but since 2012 I havent really been super committed to following recruiting as I was prior.
Melvin Ray from 2008 was another. He ended up at Auburn after playing in the minors for a few seasons IIRC.

I spent a lot of time in Nebraska 2015-2017 taking care of grandchildren while my oldest son and his wife were deployed to the Middle East at various times. They were stationed at Offutt AFB near Omaha. The Royals AAA team, the Stormchasers play there. One of the games I attended the New Orleans team was in town and Destin Hood was a starting outfielder for them.He seems to have had a decent minor league career. 11 seasons, career .263 hitter with 95 HR's and 500+ RBI. He had a brief call-up with the Marlins in 2016 with 13 games, 25ab's and 1 HR. He played last year in the Texas organization, but I've found no stats on him for this year. He is currently listed as a free agent.

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I spent a lot of time in Nebraska 2015-2017 taking care of grandchildren while my oldest son and his wife were deployed to the Middle East at various times. They were stationed at Offutt AFB near Omaha. The Royals AAA team, the Stormchasers play there. One of the games I attended the New Orleans team was in town and Destin Hood was a starting outfielder for them.He seems to have had a decent minor league career. 11 seasons, career .263 hitter with 95 HR's and 500+ RBI. He had a brief call-up with the Marlins in 2016 with 13 games, 25ab's and 1 HR. He played last year in the Texas organization, but I've found no stats on him for this year. He is currently listed as a free agent.
I believe he was picked up by these folks. A league not MLB affliated. No stats were available either.

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 5.35.36 PM.jpg

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
It seems like more and more 2 sport guys who have legitimate football futures are electing college rather than taking a nice baseball signing bonus and riding busses for several years. They have the opportunity to see which sport better suits them at the next level. Kyler murray’s success will help colleges keep recruits too.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
He plays for the Louisville Bats a professional Minor League Baseball team based in Louisville, Kentucky. They play in the International League as the Triple-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds.
Desmond Jennings chose baseball over playing football at UA. He played in the majors for Tampa but have no idea what happened to him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.