Taxes

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I was chatting with someone at work today and I said something that might lead to a good idea.
Total the tax dollars you sent to federal, state and local. Then allow the taxpayer to shift $1,000 of the total from any once to any other level of government. As long as the total comes out to what it was to begin with.
Me personally, I would shift the entire $1,000 from federal to my city (cities in Virginia are (almost) entirely independent of the counties where they lay, so many city is my county).
My city spends like a tightfisted bunch and I would like to pay cops, teachers, garbage collectors, & firefighters more.
The federal government can stand to lose some weight.
Thoughts?
Our tax structure is upside down. The individual's tax burden to the federal government should be comparatively little (IIRC, 6% per the economic analysis I read a few years back, if enumerated powers mean anything) compared to that of the states/local governments. And with the way the feds squander money, they don't deserve any more. Why keep rewarding bad behavior? Washington will spend every dollar and then some. And still ask for more. Anything that shifts my tax money locally is fine with me.

States generally aren't so stupid, unless it's "federal" money they are spending. If Boston wants to waste billions on the Big Dig or if Alaska wants to build bridges to nowhere or if California wants to give every citizen and non citizen a pony, more power to them as long as it's their own money.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I've always favored a flat rate tax but I know it will never happen because it's too logical. Another tax I'm in favor of is a $2.00 gallon gas tax plus a tax on vehicles based on the size engine it has. I.E., if a vehicle has larger than a 3.5 engine, the one time sales tax would be $10,000.00. Between 1.8 and 3.5 engines, a $5,000.00 one time sales tax, and under 1.8 engines, no tax. This would be a win win win situation. It would provide the government with a lot more money to waste, get most of the huge pickups and SUV's off the road, and help clean up the environment.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.