10 Year Old Girl Scales El Capitan
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

10 Year Old Girl Scales El Capitan

No way I'd ask my daughter to do this.

https://kdvr.com/2019/06/18/10-year-...es-el-capitan/
    Last edited by Go Bama; June 18th, 2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: To get the video to post correctly

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: 10 Year Old Girl Scales El Capitan

There is a reason we don't let minors do dangerous things..... drink, drive, vote (lol).....scale huge mountains.

If she had died in the process, then what? Does Dad go to jail?

At what point does child endangerment kick in?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post

No way I'd ask my daughter to do this.

https://kdvr.com/2019/06/18/10-year-...es-el-capitan/
    staying on the route for a few days is pretty intense, but the climbing technique they are using is very safe with little, if no, chance of a fall (it would require multiple simultaneous equipment failures). this is an amazing accomplishment for this young lady.

Aided by her father and a family friend, the trio spent five days in Yosemite Valley using a rope climbing technique known as jumaring to tackle a famously steep route known as the Nose.
    What Is..Jumaring

AID CLIMBING: 6. JUMARING BASICS
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    staying on the route for a few days is pretty intense, but the climbing technique they are using is very safe with little, if no, chance of a fall (it would require multiple simultaneous equipment failures). this is an amazing accomplishment for this young lady.

What Is…..Jumaring

AID CLIMBING: 6. JUMARING BASICS
    Wow! How cool is that? I know nothing about climbing and have never heard of jumaring, but that looks like something even I could try. Thanks.

I still wouldn’t ask my daughter to climb El Capitan.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    Wow! How cool is that? I know nothing about climbing and have never heard of jumaring, but that looks like something even I could try. Thanks.

I still wouldn’t ask my daughter to climb El Capitan.
    if you watched "free solo" or have ever seen any other climbing footage, it is very likely that is how the camera folk got up there. also, some big wall climbers will also use this technique to get through certain sections of various routes. when they were putting up the first routes on el cap (and other routes) they did a lot of aid climbing to get supplies up and down. the first ascent took 47 days.

The Nose was climbed in 1958 by Warren Harding,[8] Wayne Merry and George Whitmore in 47 days using "siege" tactics: climbing in an expedition style using fixed ropes along the length of the route, linking established camps along the way. The fixed manila ropes allowed the climbers to ascend and descend from the ground up throughout the 18-month project, although they presented unique levels of danger as well, sometimes breaking due to the long exposure to cold temperatures.[9] The climbing team relied heavily on aid climbing, using rope, pitons and expansion bolts to make it to the summit. The second ascent of The Nose was in 1960 by Royal Robbins, Joe Fitschen, Chuck Pratt and Tom Frost, who took seven days in the first continuous climb of the route without siege tactics.[8] The first solo climb of The Nose was done by Tom Bauman in 1969.[10] The first ascent of The Nose in one day was accomplished in 1975 by John Long, Jim Bridwell and Billy Westbay. Today, The Nose typically takes fit climbers 4–5 full days of climbing.
    i wouldn't ask my daughter to do this because there is no way in hell i would do it. i am terrified of heights.

although, i have to say this would be an interesting campsite

Last edited by 92tide; June 19th, 2019 at 11:11 AM.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

https://rockandice.com/climbing-news...climbing-fall/

I know it's not a direct comparison -- but stuff happens....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

if you watched "free solo" or have ever seen any other climbing footage, it is very likely that is how the camera folk got up there. also, some big wall climbers will also use this technique to get through certain sections of various routes. when they were putting up the first routes on el cap (and other routes) they did a lot of aid climbing to get supplies up and down. the first ascent took 47 days.

i wouldn't ask my daughter to do this because there is no way in hell i would do it. i am terrified of heights.

although, i have to say this would be an interesting campsite

I've always wondered how they got rid of human waste. I know I wouldn't stand around under one of those "camp sites"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I've always wondered how they got rid of human waste. I know I wouldn't stand around under one of those "camp sites"...
    That’s funny because my staff and I were having this exact discussion when you posted. My assistant decided you just hang your butt out of the tent and let her fly. So no, you don’t want to be on the ground looking up.

i don't see it in the picture, but they have poop tubes they carry up with them.

here is a quick how to video for making one. i won't post the how to video for using one

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

There's still the issue of disposal at the end. I would hate to handle the issue with my ten year old daughter, but that's just me. I was taking my daughters backpacking at that age, but I was just instructing, providing TP and directing them to the appropriate part of the woods...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

There's still the issue of disposal at the end. I would hate to handle the issue with my ten year old daughter, but that's just me. I was taking my daughters backpacking at that age, but I was just instructing, providing TP and directing them to the appropriate part of the woods...
    big wall climbers are a weird bunch, i'm sure most of them have no issues at all.

did ya'll have to carry out everything on the grand canyon trips?

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

- George Orwell

Thomas Pynchon

big wall climbers are a weird bunch, i'm sure most of them have no issues at all.

did ya'll have to carry out everything on the grand canyon trips?
    Yes, and there was a bunch of us - around 35, in all. They'd put up a tarp around an area, put down a rocket box with a toilet seat on it and we'd line up. That was the only chance of the day...