How to lose friends in less than five minutes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How to lose friends in less than five minutes

Suckers-r-us.com...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    *Advertisement voice* Do you have too many friends and are looking to get rid of a few in the fastest way possible? If so, then we've got just what you need!!! Join our multi-level marketing program and begin cornering the friends you're trying to get rid of in the most intrusive and deceptive ways!!! Our methods are guaranteed and have a 100% success rate!!! JOIN OUR TEAM NOW!!!*Advertisement voice*

I'm not sure how many of you have known people who have gotten involved in multi-level marketing products/services. But if you have you know how intrusive and downright bothersome they can be. It's worse when someone you know and actually like gets involved in one and begins to approach you. I come home from work the other night and I'd no more sat down to eat and my phone rings. I look down and it was a friend of mine. I answer and the conversation starts off normal then quickly got weird. Long story short, he and his wife had a person at their house (while he was on the phone with me) demonstrating something. For he and his wife to get a "free" whatever, they had to call someone and setup an appointment for the person currently in their house demonstrating to do a demo for them. I kindly told him we couldn't do it, we are busy in the summers and really didn't have the time. But I appreciated him thinking of us etc.

The guy (who is a friend of mine mind you) wouldn't take no for an answer. To the point that after I finally stonewalled him and got off the phone. His wife, literally less than 3 minutes, calls my wife's phone trying to get an appointment. I wished it stopped there. AFTER my wife told her we weren't doing it. I be damned we've gotten texts and calls for the last two days from the person who was at their house doing the demo trying to put a guilt trip on us that "our friends" wouldn't get their "free" whatever if we didn't do the demo. We've now blocked this woman's number and I am seriously contemplating having a "big boy" conversation with this guy for doing that to us AND giving our number to a total stranger when we told him AND his wife we weren't interested. My wife says just let it go, don't even bother with it. But man, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I would NEVER do that to someone. It makes it worse that these people are truly our friends. I love the dude to death, but what the HELL was he thinking?!
    Had a cousin come to my parents' 50 year anniversary/wedding vow renewal shindig and start with some stupid sales thing. Haven't talked to that branch since.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Give his phone number out to robocallers.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Give his phone number out to robocallers.
    They already have it. They have all of the numbers.

What's the easiest way to do this? Are there websites of MM companies I can go to and enter his information so they will start contacting him?
    I don't have a clue. I've never done this to a friend. What kind of a person do you think I am?

Don't answer that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Just playing devil's advocate here...

It could be that the couple simply, honestly fell for the saleswoman's shtick and truly believed it was something you genuinely needed, even if you didn't realize it.

That doesn't excuse the behavior, by any means, but might make it more palatable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here...

It could be that the couple simply, honestly fell for the saleswoman's shtick and truly believed it was something you genuinely needed, even if you didn't realize it.

That doesn't excuse the behavior, by any means, but might make it more palatable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If I didn't know the guy and his wife I probably would give them more benefit of the doubt. But we know them pretty well and they aren't naive type people. Either way, his name is on a lot of churches' "We would like for someone to visit us" list. He's Baptist and he's about to get visits and/or phone calls from all sorts of denominations. It'll be a good cultural experience for him. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

If I didn't know the guy and his wife I probably would give them more benefit of the doubt. But we know them pretty well and they aren't naive type people. Either way, his name is on a lot of churches' "We would like for someone to visit us" list. He's Baptist and he's about to get visits and/or phone calls from all sorts of denominations. It'll be a good cultural experience for him. LOL!
    Please keep us posted. I am really looking forward to updates.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Had a friend who submitted his buddy's name and address on a Marine Corps recruitment mail-in card from a magazine. His buddy was still in high school and a Marine sergeant recruiter showed up at his door. Seemed pretty funny at the time but I wonder if a few laws may have been broken.

About 20 years ago, some co-workers and I were challenging each other to invest in each other's MLM schemes. One of them was selling travel agent type services. Another was selling magical exercise equipment. My scheme was vitamins. I ordered a VHS tape on how to get my "business" started. It talked about the product for about 90 seconds, with no benefits to the end user. The remainder of the 45 minutes was about getting people to be "Distribdutors" under you and explaining how quickly your income could grow.

As my co-workers and I were giving each other the sales pitches, there was laughter aplenty. Probably because no one could keep a straight face. We all quickly got bored with it and agreed to keep our day jobs.

This was when MLM was taking the business world by storm, and everyone was trying to be the next Warren Buffett. The California-based vitamin distributor trying to sign me up under him hounded me for a couple of months trying to get me to return the VHS tape. Which i never did. I proly still have it someplace. If anyone is interested,contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by ValuJet View Post
    About 20 years ago, some co-workers and I were challenging each other to invest in each other's MLM schemes. One of them was selling travel agent type services. Another was selling magical exercise equipment. My scheme was vitamins. I ordered a VHS tape on how to get my "business" started. It talked about the product for about 90 seconds, with no benefits to the end user. The remainder of the 45 minutes was about getting people to be "Distribdutors" under you and explaining how quickly your income could grow.

As my co-workers and I were giving each other the sales pitches, there was laughter aplenty. Probably because no one could keep a straight face. We all quickly got bored with it and agreed to keep our day jobs.

This was when MLM was taking the business world by storm, and everyone was trying to be the next Warren Buffett. The California-based vitamin distributor trying to sign me up under him hounded me for a couple of months trying to get me to return the VHS tape. Which i never did. I proly still have it someplace. If anyone is interested,contact me.
    Velvet Jones, is that you?

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Are you the real ValuJet?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

It just amazes me that people are still wrapped up in it. You'd think the scam was so well known by now that nobody would bit. Nevertheless, we have friends still running the AmWay. We've firmly declined all advances...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis