How to lose friends in less than five minutes

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
If I didn't know the guy and his wife I probably would give them more benefit of the doubt. But we know them pretty well and they aren't naive type people. Either way, his name is on a lot of churches' "We would like for someone to visit us" list. :) He's Baptist and he's about to get visits and/or phone calls from all sorts of denominations. It'll be a good cultural experience for him. LOL!
Please keep us posted. I am really looking forward to updates.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Had a friend who submitted his buddy's name and address on a Marine Corps recruitment mail-in card from a magazine. His buddy was still in high school and a Marine sergeant recruiter showed up at his door. Seemed pretty funny at the time but I wonder if a few laws may have been broken.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
About 20 years ago, some co-workers and I were challenging each other to invest in each other's MLM schemes. One of them was selling travel agent type services. Another was selling magical exercise equipment. My scheme was vitamins. I ordered a VHS tape on how to get my "business" started. It talked about the product for about 90 seconds, with no benefits to the end user. The remainder of the 45 minutes was about getting people to be "Distribdutors" under you and explaining how quickly your income could grow.

As my co-workers and I were giving each other the sales pitches, there was laughter aplenty. Probably because no one could keep a straight face. We all quickly got bored with it and agreed to keep our day jobs.

This was when MLM was taking the business world by storm, and everyone was trying to be the next Warren Buffett. The California-based vitamin distributor trying to sign me up under him hounded me for a couple of months trying to get me to return the VHS tape. Which i never did. I proly still have it someplace. If anyone is interested,contact me. :)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
About 20 years ago, some co-workers and I were challenging each other to invest in each other's MLM schemes. One of them was selling travel agent type services. Another was selling magical exercise equipment. My scheme was vitamins. I ordered a VHS tape on how to get my "business" started. It talked about the product for about 90 seconds, with no benefits to the end user. The remainder of the 45 minutes was about getting people to be "Distribdutors" under you and explaining how quickly your income could grow.

As my co-workers and I were giving each other the sales pitches, there was laughter aplenty. Probably because no one could keep a straight face. We all quickly got bored with it and agreed to keep our day jobs.

This was when MLM was taking the business world by storm, and everyone was trying to be the next Warren Buffett. The California-based vitamin distributor trying to sign me up under him hounded me for a couple of months trying to get me to return the VHS tape. Which i never did. I proly still have it someplace. If anyone is interested,contact me. :)
Velvet Jones, is that you?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It just amazes me that people are still wrapped up in it. You'd think the scam was so well known by now that nobody would bit. Nevertheless, we have friends still running the AmWay. We've firmly declined all advances...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You triggered my PTSD.

In 1988, my old man retired from the military as an E-9. He was 42 years old. After a year struggling that included him going to get an Associate's Degree in Metalworking, he basically got his old job back when a civilian contractor took over the jobs, and he was the Executive VP in charge of hiring for the company. He did that for five years, but a few days after he turned 48, they lost the contract, and he lost his job.

He did some consulting work, where he flew into Baltimore and would stay a week here and a week there.

And then he discovered Amway. And I discovered what eternity in Hell feels like.

Every damn rally they had once a month over in Dalton, GA, he drove the four hours to sit and spent my inheritance on those God forsaken tapes, now for a nickel at nice rummage sales everywhere. And he was always a tad arrogant but my Gawd......it got to the point I wouldn't go visit them, and they were just a short five-hour jaunt.

I couldn't stand to be in the room with him because EVERYTHING revolved around "building your own business" and "being your own boss" and "not being like the lazy other person."

My Mom graduated from Judson College in 1968 with a 1.8 GPA. She's by no means an intellect. But I'll confess it was hilarious seeing her tell him that the only way he was gonna get rich in Amway was to find a way to sell other folks those same tapes and books he's already spent hundreds (or more) on. They went to this national rally in PA, another one in DC, another one in Orlando (I think - I wasn't there, so don't hold me to the details because I didn't care).

And when I went with him ten miles down the road to Saturday morning coffee - he HAD to play one of those damned Amway tapes and "what I was missing."

It took him about six years or so to get wise to the thing. He parroted quotes from the meetings, the tapes, to the point you'd think you were in one of those rooms where they show POWs propaganda films to brainwash them.

Meanwhile, I learned the secret of George Costanza. Just LOOK irritated and people will think you're busy and leave you alone. I'm one of the rudest people to salesmen you'll ever see, and I'm nice to everybody.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just playing devil's advocate here...

It could be that the couple simply, honestly fell for the saleswoman's shtick and truly believed it was something you genuinely needed, even if you didn't realize it.

That doesn't excuse the behavior, by any means, but might make it more palatable. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I would give someone a pass on the first time he called. No problem there. But when the wife called, it would be a bit much, but might let that go.

But giving my number to the MLM guy is crossing a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.