How to lose friends in less than five minutes

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
*Advertisement voice* Do you have too many friends and are looking to get rid of a few in the fastest way possible? If so, then we've got just what you need!!! Join our multi-level marketing program and begin cornering the friends you're trying to get rid of in the most intrusive and deceptive ways!!! Our methods are guaranteed and have a 100% success rate!!! JOIN OUR TEAM NOW!!!*Advertisement voice*

I'm not sure how many of you have known people who have gotten involved in multi-level marketing products/services. But if you have you know how intrusive and downright bothersome they can be. It's worse when someone you know and actually like gets involved in one and begins to approach you. I come home from work the other night and I'd no more sat down to eat and my phone rings. I look down and it was a friend of mine. I answer and the conversation starts off normal then quickly got weird. Long story short, he and his wife had a person at their house (while he was on the phone with me) demonstrating something. For he and his wife to get a "free" whatever, they had to call someone and setup an appointment for the person currently in their house demonstrating to do a demo for them. I kindly told him we couldn't do it, we are busy in the summers and really didn't have the time. But I appreciated him thinking of us etc.

The guy (who is a friend of mine mind you) wouldn't take no for an answer. To the point that after I finally stonewalled him and got off the phone. His wife, literally less than 3 minutes, calls my wife's phone trying to get an appointment. I wished it stopped there. AFTER my wife told her we weren't doing it. I be damned we've gotten texts and calls for the last two days from the person who was at their house doing the demo trying to put a guilt trip on us that "our friends" wouldn't get their "free" whatever if we didn't do the demo. We've now blocked this woman's number and I am seriously contemplating having a "big boy" conversation with this guy for doing that to us AND giving our number to a total stranger when we told him AND his wife we weren't interested. My wife says just let it go, don't even bother with it. But man, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I would NEVER do that to someone. It makes it worse that these people are truly our friends. I love the dude to death, but what the HELL was he thinking?!

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m not sure that guy was ever your friend. Jeepers. I’d read him the riot act and let the chips fall where they may.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I’m not sure that guy was ever your friend. Jeepers. I’d read him the riot act and let the chips fall where they may.
I'm actually thinking about making a call to the local Jehovah Witness church and telling them "I'm" interested in more information about the "kingdom" and would love a visit bright and early one Saturday morning (providing them with his address and number). :smile:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I guess the latest is this "air cleaner" scheme. The couple can get a free "air cleaner" valued at "$150". I looked it up last night it appears to be sponsored by Rainbow, the company who used to do vacuum cleaners.
About 18 months ago every male high school kid in town was selling expensive knives in some pyramid thing. Your friend needs to get on the list with the knives, air filters, Jehovah Witness, and a couple of other sales groups on FB. Scorched earth is called for here.

If he didn't know you'd react badly to this, then he is clueless. I don't know you and I knew you'd react badly to this. A disproportionate response is definitely called for.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm actually thinking about making a call to the local Jehovah Witness church and telling them "I'm" interested in more information about the "kingdom" and would love a visit bright and early one Saturday morning (providing them with his address and number). :smile:
sign him up for a shaklee mailing list

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
About 18 months ago every male high school kid in town was selling expensive knives in some pyramid thing. Your friend needs to get on the list with the knives, air filters, Jehovah Witness, and a couple of other sales groups on FB. Scorched earth is called for here.

If he didn't know you'd react badly to this, then he is clueless. I don't know you and I knew you'd react badly to this. A disproportionate response is definitely called for.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying a word to him (like I'd first thought about). Might as well have some fun with it. LOL!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Oh yeah, I'm not saying a word to him (like I'd first thought about). Might as well have some fun with it. LOL!
Absolutely. and if you want to go nuclear winter, give his email address to a Nigerian trying to offshore $20,000,000. I don't think I'd go that far though.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
*Advertisement voice* Do you have too many friends and are looking to get rid of a few in the fastest way possible? If so, then we've got just what you need!!! Join our multi-level marketing program and begin cornering the friends you're trying to get rid of in the most intrusive and deceptive ways!!! Our methods are guaranteed and have a 100% success rate!!! JOIN OUR TEAM NOW!!!*Advertisement voice*

I'm not sure how many of you have known people who have gotten involved in multi-level marketing products/services. But if you have you know how intrusive and downright bothersome they can be. It's worse when someone you know and actually like gets involved in one and begins to approach you. I come home from work the other night and I'd no more sat down to eat and my phone rings. I look down and it was a friend of mine. I answer and the conversation starts off normal then quickly got weird. Long story short, he and his wife had a person at their house (while he was on the phone with me) demonstrating something. For he and his wife to get a "free" whatever, they had to call someone and setup an appointment for the person currently in their house demonstrating to do a demo for them. I kindly told him we couldn't do it, we are busy in the summers and really didn't have the time. But I appreciated him thinking of us etc.

The guy (who is a friend of mine mind you) wouldn't take no for an answer. To the point that after I finally stonewalled him and got off the phone. His wife, literally less than 3 minutes, calls my wife's phone trying to get an appointment. I wished it stopped there. AFTER my wife told her we weren't doing it. I be damned we've gotten texts and calls for the last two days from the person who was at their house doing the demo trying to put a guilt trip on us that "our friends" wouldn't get their "free" whatever if we didn't do the demo. We've now blocked this woman's number and I am seriously contemplating having a "big boy" conversation with this guy for doing that to us AND giving our number to a total stranger when we told him AND his wife we weren't interested. My wife says just let it go, don't even bother with it. But man, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I would NEVER do that to someone. It makes it worse that these people are truly our friends. I love the dude to death, but what the HELL was he thinking?!
Had a cousin come to my parents' 50 year anniversary/wedding vow renewal shindig and start with some stupid sales thing. Haven't talked to that branch since.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
What's the easiest way to do this? Are there websites of MM companies I can go to and enter his information so they will start contacting him?
I don't have a clue. I've never done this to a friend. What kind of a person do you think I am?

Don't answer that.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Just playing devil's advocate here...

It could be that the couple simply, honestly fell for the saleswoman's shtick and truly believed it was something you genuinely needed, even if you didn't realize it.

That doesn't excuse the behavior, by any means, but might make it more palatable. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Just playing devil's advocate here...

It could be that the couple simply, honestly fell for the saleswoman's shtick and truly believed it was something you genuinely needed, even if you didn't realize it.

That doesn't excuse the behavior, by any means, but might make it more palatable. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If I didn't know the guy and his wife I probably would give them more benefit of the doubt. But we know them pretty well and they aren't naive type people. Either way, his name is on a lot of churches' "We would like for someone to visit us" list. :) He's Baptist and he's about to get visits and/or phone calls from all sorts of denominations. It'll be a good cultural experience for him. LOL!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.