Atlanta Braves discussion

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Take aways:

-Thank God for the Bringer of Rain and finally a pitcher who understands the meaning of CLOSING a game.

- The next hour is probably going to decide our fate, but its good to see us steal a win after blowing up one.

- The bullpen has more people that should be in Gwinnett and Pearl than they should be in Atlanta

- The Nationals are the best team in the East, and we are lucky to be ahead of them

- Expect the gloves to be off the next time we face the Nats because we have been extremely fortunate not to face Scherzer all year. I don't expect that to continue if he is healthy.

- Its good to steal a road series from the Nats and Phils, but we have to find some sorta fix for the bullpen to make it, and make it deep, into October.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well we got a really good closer in Shane Greene. Another good move, but I still would feel better with one more addition to the bullpen and rotation

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27296589/braves-trade-tigers-closer-greene[/FONT]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jackson's ERA is 13.50. I hope he likes Gwinnett or Pearl or Foot Locker.
I think he was put in a position in which he wasnt suited for. I would prefer him as a lost cause reliever, a situational, or a setup guy. But as a closer he is horrible. His problem is that he tries to fool people, but his job is to throw hard strikes not to be Greg maddux. Look at Sean Doolittle, yeah he just gave away the winning run but look at his WHIP, ERA, and BBs. The point is a closer THROWS STRIKES and lives with the consequences of that task. Jackson and Doolittle may have closer stats before todays games, but find me 10 people out of 100 baseball fans that would take Jackson over Doolittle just by watching the games and I will tell you baseball is truly dead.

But Paul Byrd is starting to sound dumber and dumber trying to defend this bullpen that I wish Frenchy, Kelsey, Jordan, and Glavine were permant color analysts so Bryd was reduced to getting interviews. Because he is way too Atlanta made biased on his hot takes.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A lot of what the Braves do from here is going to be determined on Foltzy.

SP:

#1 Keuchel
#2 Teheran
#3 Soroka
#4 Fried
#5 Who Knows

RP

Martin
Melacon
Blevins
Newsomb
?
?

SU

Tomlin
Jackson

CP
Greene

We could probably run a 3-4 rotation in October, and send the #5 down to reliever, but at some point we need to find a #5 man to get us to October and start making decisions on Foltz.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think he was put in a position in which he wasnt suited for. I would prefer him as a lost cause reliever, a situational, or a setup guy. But as a closer he is horrible. His problem is that he tries to fool people, but his job is to throw hard strikes not to be Greg maddux. Look at Sean Doolittle, yeah he just gave away the winning run but look at his WHIP, ERA, and BBs. The point is a closer THROWS STRIKES and lives with the consequences of that task. Jackson and Doolittle may have closer stats before todays games, but find me 10 people out of 100 baseball fans that would take Jackson over Doolittle just by watching the games and I will tell you baseball is truly dead.

But Paul Byrd is starting to sound dumber and dumber trying to defend this bullpen that I wish Frenchy, Kelsey, Jordan, and Glavine were permant color analysts so Bryd was reduced to getting interviews. Because he is way too Atlanta made biased on his hot takes.
I wish we could have gotten an ace, but I will take a much better bullpen (which I think we got today and yesterday). We shall see how this all plays out.

Frenchy grew on me. I did not like him much at first. I prefer Glavine over all of them. I actually prefer Smoltz as a color guy, but so does Fox. I just had the game on my screen but had no sound so I did not hear the talking.

The Astros pulled a major trade. They just got better.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wish we could have gotten an ace, but I will take a much better bullpen (which I think we got today and yesterday). We shall see how this all plays out.

Yeah me too, but I think I would give Alex a B+ on his deals overall because we added 2 capable relievers, another power hitter for the bench, and a good closer. I would've liked one of the Mets pitchers and Diaz, but Im happy with what we got. I just hope there is enough in Gwinnett to field another potential starter, and a better bullpen

Frenchy grew on me. I did not like him much at first. I prefer Glavine over all of them. I actually prefer Smoltz as a color guy, but so does Fox. I just had the game on my screen but had no sound so I did not hear the talking.

I like Glavine the best out of all of them, but I understand why he only wants part time. I agree Smoltz is the best. Paul Bryd is the friend you like because of some good memories, but you know he is too out there to elevate to best friend or go on a long vacation with the spouses with. Point is he has some weird takes, and is obnoxious. But overall he is a Brave. I just cant stand him talking about the Braves's needs aren't what the fans think, and being a chatter box in big series like this one.

Side Note: I had to go to work from the 5th inning on. While driving I was forced to listen to the Nats announcers on Sirius, and they seem to talk about all the other games on more than they talk about the Nats. I swear at first I thought I was listening to the Reds vs the Bucs with how much they were talking about each key play in that game while Freeman was batting.

The Astros pulled a major trade. They just got better.

The understatement of the year. I have this guy I work for that is so convinced the Yankees are the best team in baseball, and when I said "They aren't even the best team in the AL" he laughed and pointed at pointed at the records... This was 2 weeks ago. Elite Pitching with good hitting wins far more championships than Elite Hitting with decent at best pitching. Granted the Braves in the 90's, but only twice in the 90's were they the best TEAM in baseball (95, 96). But the ELITE PITCHING got them there. Adding Grienke to Cole, and Verlander is about a death sentence to whoever has to face them in the AL. I predict the Stros are about to Win the World Series unless those pitchers get old and hurt very fast.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
No, we didn’t get a started but I think the bullpen just improve by a significant margin. Of course time will tell and they still have to come in and perform but, I feel much better about the bullpen now.

I had not heard about the C until now. Can never have too many quality bench players.

I really think these were the moves this team needed. Now we can set our eyes on more than just a division win. Time to get back to the NLCS and maybe, just maybe, shock the Dodgers.

I know, I’m getting ahead of myself but, I’m pumped right now!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No, we didn’t get a started but I think the bullpen just improve by a significant margin. Of course time will tell and they still have to come in and perform but, I feel much better about the bullpen now.

I had not heard about the C until now. Can never have too many quality bench players.

I really think these were the moves this team needed. Now we can set our eyes on more than just a division win. Time to get back to the NLCS and maybe, just maybe, shock the Dodgers.

I know, I’m getting ahead of myself but, I’m pumped right now!
Greene and Martin are having pretty darn good years.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/ [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1156648786430713857

I feel better about outracing the Nationals after these bullpen upgrades.

Looking forward (cautiously optimistic) we would play the winner of that craziness known as the NL Central. Right now its St Louis, but Im not so confident that they hold it. Personally I believe the Brewers are going to end up winning it, but Im hoping its St Louis because the Brewers and the Cubs are far more dangerous in how they are built for October. Sending the Nationals/ NL Central runner up to play the Dodgers could wind up helping us by eliminating the Dodgers for us, and giving us home field in the NLCS. But beyond that I don't see anyone beating the Stros. But I think I would be extremely happy with a NLCS or WS berth because its been too long, and it shows we are going forward as an organization.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.