Atlanta Braves discussion

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
While it’s nice to get a head start on constructing next year’s relief corps, the Braves made these moves to make immediate and necessary improvements to a bullpen that has posted MLB’s second-highest ERA (7.11) since the All-Star break.Atlanta’s new top bullpen trio -- Greene, Melancon and Martin -- have combined to allow 36 earned runs over 122 1/3 innings this year. The Braves former top relief trio -- Jackson, Anthony Swarzak and Sean Newcomb -- have combined to allow 15 earned runs over 18 innings since the All-Star break.Greene has posted a 1.18 ERA while recording 43 strikeouts and issuing 12 walks over 38 innings for the Tigers this year. The 30-year-old right-hander has converted 22 of 25 save opportunities. He has limited opponents to a .153 batting average and .227 on-base percentage. Melancon has produced a 3.50 ERA over the 46 1/3 innings he has completed over 43 appearances this year. The 34-year-old reliever has surrendered just one run while limiting opponents to a .114 batting average and .139 on-base percentage over his past nine appearances dating back to July 6. He agreed to waive his no-trade clause.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/shane-greene-deal-to-braves[/FONT]

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Read where Greene has given up 11 runs this year, but only 5 of them have been earned. All five of those were HRs. Crazy to think he has more unearned runs than earned runs.

The way the bullpen has been, any trades were likely to be improvements. The three the Braves got seem to be solid enough to help in working to get the Division title.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Read where Greene has given up 11 runs this year, but only 5 of them have been earned. All five of those were HRs. Crazy to think he has more unearned runs than earned runs.

The way the bullpen has been, any trades were likely to be improvements. The three the Braves got seem to be solid enough to help in working to get the Division title.
Greene's WHIP is impressive, and what you want for a closer. Its under 1 and his ERA is pretty darn good. He has only 3 blown saves this year and is an AL All Star. Jackson has 8 Blown Saves

Martin's WHIP is right at 1 (which is still really good), and his ERA is at 3. But he doesnt walk many batters.

Melancon has a higher WHIP and average ERA, but he is a quality reliever.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For those looking for a potential pitcher's duel then y'all might wanna go Saturday because it looks like Keuchel and Bauer are going to take the Hill.

Braves vs Reds 4 game series (Cincy leads the series 2-1)

Thurs: Fried vs Descalfani
Fri: Gausman vs Wood
Sat: Keuchel vs Bauer
Sun: Teheran vs Gray

With Cincy's plethora of suspensions and trades over the past few days, the Braves SHOULD take 3 out of 4. The Gausman game sticks out like a sore thumb, and you never know when two very good aces go against each other. This series has to push the lead further with the Nats having a difficult road trip ahead, and the Phils having cupcake island.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So the Best I can surmise the bullpen will be

LRP: Blevins
LRP: Newscomb
LRP Melancon
MRP Tomlin
MRP Swarzak
SU Martin
SU Jackson
CP Greene

Minter, Sobotka, and Walker got sent down.

Again I see Foltz and possibly Webb and Day coming back either later this month to add to the pen and rotation. I think Minter and Sobotka maybe done for the year at the Show level.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just saw Gausman is slated to pitch tonight. This does not instill a lot of confidence. The weather does not look too promising though. I am close enough that I can see the stadium from my office.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I will take last night all day long. No chance for the bullpen to lose it.
The best Save of the season goes to the weather.

But on a more serious note, on one hand I wanted to see our acquisitions in action last night, but on the other it does give them more rest and time with the team and coaches. But I fully expect to see 1 or 2 tonight barring the weather.

I hope Gausman brings it because tomorrow is going to be an ace vs ace matchup. I rather get the 3rd win out of the way before we have to face Bauer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you were to tell me the bullpen allowed 0 runs and we hit 2 homers I would probably say it was a good day... until you say Gausman was the starting pitcher.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well Greene picks up a blown save. But like I said earlier I rather a closer pick it up by hits instead of walking two or 3 folks.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m driving home from the game but my thoughts are this:

-Suntrust is dying for a serious postseason run. The place was ready to explode

- The Braves handled Bauer really well

- some situational decisions really influenced the outcome of the game more than the Reds themselves. Snitker wanting to get Keuchel to the 7th is understandable with a 1 hit shutout, but he probably should’ve been pulled when he came to bat his 3rd time.

- Melacon and Greene probably need a week or two of familiarity before we see serious results but what they showed tonight is reassuring

- Luke Jackson looked more comfortable with the title of closer off his name.

- overall a great win. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.