Atlanta Braves discussion

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
This team is highly entertaining. I've always wanted a team that scored runs consistently and it appears that's what we got. When they make the call to the bullpen, my blood pressure goes up. Need to get that fixed. 4 games up on Philly after tonight.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This team is highly entertaining. I've always wanted a team that scored runs consistently and it appears that's what we got. When they make the call to the bullpen, my blood pressure goes up. Need to get that fixed. 4 games up on Philly after tonight.
It is sad when they can have an 8-0 lead in the 7th and I still don't think they have they game won. The bullpen needs a closer that can actually close. The Braves as a team have blown 13 saves this year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It is sad when they can have an 8-0 lead in the 7th and I still don't think they have they game won. The bullpen needs a closer that can actually close. The Braves as a team have blown 13 saves this year.
I think the Braves have one of the best Batting Orders in the league, and we have 2 great SPs (soroka and Dallas) and 1 serviceable (Teheran), but its the hit or miss relievers and the closer that are going to kill us unless we trade for one. There is something to be said when the closer gives two free bases in a one run game before he gets close to an out every single time.

I think Atlanta will win the East and will get the #2 seed. But I have serious doubts at us beating a really good team in October. Our best shot is drawing the Cardinals, and have a team like the Nats catching the Dodgers flatfooted. I just think the Dodgers and the NL West are the best teams out there.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems like every time I see a Braves fan gripe about the bullpen the retort from Braves beat writers and national writers is to point how bad relievers are across the board this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Seems like every time I see a Braves fan gripe about the bullpen the retort from Braves beat writers and national writers is to point how bad relievers are across the board this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When a 6 run lead isn't a safe lead, then you know there has to be someone better out there.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Midseason outlook

Where things stand:

1) Atlanta is #1 in the east by 6 games
2) Atlanta is #2 in the NL behind the Dodgers by 5.5 games and leading the Cubs by 7 games

Reasons to be optimistic for a Braves fan

1) Hitting is rock solid
2) The Phillies and Nationals look to beat themselves out of the NL East Crown with 8 games to go
3) Most of the more difficult games have to come through Suntrust in which the Braves hold a 28-19 advantage
4) The NL Central race and the lack of a race in the NL East is making a home field series in round 1 more likely

5) The Dodgers limped into the All Star Break at 5-5 giving a slightly more realistic chance for the Braves to fight for 1st place.

Reasons for concern:

1) Pitching is all over the place. Aside from Dallas, Soroka, and Minter there are no totally reliable SP, LRP, MRP, and CPs on the roster
2) The Nationals are on a tear 8-2 in the last 10.
3) The Phillies and Nationals both hold a series advantage over the Braves, and have the lionshare of remaining home games in the season series.
4) Dumb losses and the Braves usually go together at some point of a season
5) The Braves cant afford to not winning the NL East.
Going for a 1 game season and having the Dodgers waiting is not a good thing to look forward to.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Midseason outlook

Where things stand:

1) Atlanta is #1 in the east by 6 games
2) Atlanta is #2 in the NL behind the Dodgers by 5.5 games and leading the Cubs by 7 games

Reasons to be optimistic for a Braves fan

1) Hitting is rock solid
2) The Phillies and Nationals look to beat themselves out of the NL East Crown with 8 games to go
3) Most of the more difficult games have to come through Suntrust in which the Braves hold a 28-19 advantage
4) The NL Central race and the lack of a race in the NL East is making a home field series in round 1 more likely

5) The Dodgers limped into the All Star Break at 5-5 giving a slightly more realistic chance for the Braves to fight for 1st place.

Reasons for concern:

1) Pitching is all over the place. Aside from Dallas, Soroka, and Minter there are no totally reliable SP, LRP, MRP, and CPs on the roster
2) The Nationals are on a tear 8-2 in the last 10.
3) The Phillies and Nationals both hold a series advantage over the Braves, and have the lionshare of remaining home games in the season series.
4) Dumb losses and the Braves usually go together at some point of a season
5) The Braves cant afford to not winning the NL East.
Going for a 1 game season and having the Dodgers waiting is not a good thing to look forward to.
Sounds about right. The Dodgers are right now the best overall team in the NL. I am hoping they just have enough bad games in the playoffs to knock themselves out before the Braves have to play them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sounds about right. The Dodgers are right now the best overall team in the NL. I am hoping they just have enough bad games in the playoffs to knock themselves out before the Braves have to play them.
What I’m hoping for is that the Braves win the Madison Bumgarner and Will Smith sweepstakes this month. We desperately need another experienced Ace and a killer closer. I would probably offer the Giants anyone but Acuna, Freeman, Donaldson, Riley, Albies, Dallas, and Soroka to win get them within reason.

We really need to take advantage of the trade deadline to enhance the team to be able to beat the Dodgers and Nats in a 5-7 game series.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
What I’m hoping for is that the Braves win the Madison Bumgarner and Will Smith sweepstakes this month. We desperately need another experienced Ace and a killer closer. I would probably offer the Giants anyone but Acuna, Freeman, Donaldson, Riley, Albies, Dallas, and Soroka to win get them within reason.

We really need to take advantage of the trade deadline to enhance the team to be able to beat the Dodgers and Nats in a 5-7 game series.
Right now, I do not think we can be the Dodgers. We could out hit the Nats, but it would take a lot. I fear we may have to give up too much in order to get an Ace and killer closer.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Right now, I do not think we can be the Dodgers. We could out hit the Nats, but it would take a lot. I fear we may have to give up too much in order to get an Ace and killer closer.
The reason bumgarner and smith are attractive names right now is because July 31st is the last day the Giants can trade them before free agency. Also everyone is going crazy over Wheeler so the Giants may be forced to settle for lesser offers.

I think regardless, you will probably know who has a chance to win the NL by the 31st, and who is wasting everyone’s time by participating.

The thing that is weird is that the Nats are better without Bryce. I think our biggest problem is that we are going to have to counter Scherzer somehow and hope Strasberg is limited. This Nats team is probably the scariest team in the majors and I’m hoping for them to have another epic collapse in the worst way.

Dodgers are the standard, but they have a habit of choking.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
After a subpar series in Milwaukee the Braves enter the most important series of the year. We were lucky that the Nationals decided to lose to the worst team in the MLB or else we would have less games to work with than 6. We really need 3 of 4 here, but 2 of 4 is the least we can settle for and feel okay with moving forward. This series will go a long way in determining things with the Phillies imploding .

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
After a subpar series in Milwaukee the Braves enter the most important series of the year. We were lucky that the Nationals decided to lose to the worst team in the MLB or else we would have less games to work with than 6. We really need 3 of 4 here, but 2 of 4 is the least we can settle for and feel okay with moving forward. This series will go a long way in determining things with the Phillies imploding .
Last night was ugly.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Last night was ugly.
Yeah it’s why I believe we should really try for Bumgarner and Smith.

The most depressing stat was that we had Strasburg at 30 pitches going into the 2nd inning but the game swung into an 8-1 ball game once the 2nd inning started.

Something has to happen by July 31st with the bullpen or I wouldn’t bet for us to win the East because the Nats are going to be harder once Scherzer gets back.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Luke Jackson is by far the worst closer on any team looking for postseason play. How many times does it take seeing a blown save or a have the tying and go ahead runs on base before the Braves act on it? Swarzak is more of a closer than Jackson.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well there is 1 of the 2 we needed. We are 3-4 in the series with Washington and ALL 3 were MIRACLES. We really need better pitching and this series and the Brewers series proves it. We can destroy almost anyone with a mediocre bull pen like the Phillies, but we come against a decent lineup and a good bullpen then we get punched unless our hitters are on.

Chop on. Let’s do better tomorrow

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If one more Braves homer beat writer says our bullpen is better than what you think based on stats, then I’m going to have to ask “ what’s with us vs the Nationals who have statistically has the worst bullpen in baseball?”.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Luke Jackson is by far the worst closer on any team looking for postseason play. How many times does it take seeing a blown save or a have the tying and go ahead runs on base before the Braves act on it? Swarzak is more of a closer than Jackson.
Someone needs to tell Jackson you don't have to walk the first batter. I don't think he knows that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Someone needs to tell Jackson you don't have to walk the first batter. I don't think he knows that.
Lol. I fret everytime he comes in during a save situation. I think the reason he is the closer is because he throws the hardest, but that doesn’t mean he is Accurate.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So Keuchel throws 12 strikeouts and the game is 2-2 vs the Royals and still the clown show known as the Braves bullpen manages to lose 5-4. Yet I guarantee the spin is going to be on how the offense left 12 men on base (which is bad), but not as bad as WALKING two runs in at Top of the 8th.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Agreed! Leaving 12 men on base sucks, but if the bullpen doesn’t allow 2 free pass runs, the Braves win. 3 walks and a hbp blew it.

Also, I’m not sure there is any more benefit in playing Riley. He takes the good pitches, swings at the bad and strikes out all the time. Ender’s bat may not be much better right now but he’s an upgrade on defense.

And Ozzie, learn to take a pitch or two every now and then.

Anyway, bullpen needs major work if this team wants to make run in the playoffs. Most say the Braves need another starter but I think the bullpen is more urgent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.