ESPN ranks easiest non-conference schedules ... Bama rolls in at #6

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't think anybody disagrees that our OOC this year isn't much at all.

But the ASSUMPTION driving this whole nonsense is the ridiculous idea that "all conferences are created equal." That's the same assumption that drives the idolatry of conference championships, too.

And is it REALLY fair to compare teams with four OOC games and teams with three anyway?
I don't think anyone really believes all conferences are created equal. And they do this every year so its not like they chose this year to compare OOC schedules.

I just don't think its a huge deal and frankly its probably accurate for us to rank in the top 10 weakest OOC schedules this year.

Idk I just don't see this as something to get worked up about personally. Although, I'm sure I have in the past so I do understand.

Regardless I don't see us losing a regular season game so it shouldn't be an issue.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think anyone really believes all conferences are created equal. And they do this every year so its not like they chose this year to compare OOC schedules.

I just don't think its a huge deal and frankly its probably accurate for us to rank in the top 10 weakest OOC schedules this year.

Idk I just don't see this as something to get worked up about personally. Although, I'm sure I have in the past so I do understand.

Regardless I don't see us losing a regular season game so it shouldn't be an issue.
You will see as the year goes on, and as the season winds down, Clemson get a ton of credit for scheduling Texas A&M and the fact that we also play them in conference will be completely glossed over. Clemson's overall schedule will be touted because of the 2 good non-conference opponents they have, and the fact they play 1 good in conference opponent will be swept under the rug. Alabama will get grief for not playing a tough non-conference game, but the fact we play 5 or 6 good in conference opponents will be swept under the rug.

This has happened every single year since 2008.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I don't care. I never do. I get just as nervous for Duke as I do for LSU and that's the way it's always been for me. If we don't win the SEC odds are it will affect whether or not we get picked for a playoff spot, but other than that it's not a big deal what people think of our schedule.

That being said, you can rest assured someone WILL make a big deal out of it even if we get all the way through to the playoffs undefeated. But even that is alright. Have we ever won a national title as the #1 seed?

rtr

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
How much of this is simply based on the perception that we open with Duke?
A tad.

The fact we follow them with New Mex St, add on USM, and then have WCU right before the Iron Bowl doesn't help.

I mean, we opened with USC and FSU in recent years.

Before the Game - "This might be a national title preview!"

After the Game - "Well, those teams weren't any good, but we think if USC played Alabama again, they'd probably win and if Colt hadn't gotten hurt, er, Francois...."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A tad.

The fact we follow them with New Mex St, add on USM, and then have WCU right before the Iron Bowl doesn't help.

I mean, we opened with USC and FSU in recent years.

Before the Game - "This might be a national title preview!"

After the Game - "Well, those teams weren't any good, but we think if USC played Alabama again, they'd probably win and if Colt hadn't gotten hurt, er, Francois...."
We always have a couple of easy passes like that, but I guess the difference is all the other years since at least '08, IIRC, we've opened up with a legit team (at least on paper and one that garnered some true respect), but Duke just doesn't fit the pattern. I never understood why this game was scheduled.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We always have a couple of easy passes like that, but I guess the difference is all the other years since at least '08, IIRC, we've opened up with a legit team (at least on paper and one that garnered some true respect), but Duke just doesn't fit the pattern. I never understood why this game was scheduled.
I've seen some people say that it was the ACC that gave us Duke? something to do with the FSU game or something? no idea.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
No doubt our OOC schedule this year is a joke. As others have already said though, the Duke game was out of our control.

I don’t know much about Duke this year, but they can’t be worse than the Louisville team we opened up against last year who ended up going 2-10.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
No doubt our OOC schedule this year is a joke. As others have already said though, the Duke game was out of our control.

I don’t know much about Duke this year, but they can’t be worse than the Louisville team we opened up against last year who ended up going 2-10.
You got that right! Cut usually has the Blue Devils in a competitive situation and that will continue to be the case I think. According to this, they even have a 3% chance of beating us:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...09/duke-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Non-conference schedule? Who cares? Clemson's OOC schedule appears to be fairly difficult with USCe and aTM, but the rest of their schedule is a complete joke. Meanwhile every team in the SEC will face a very difficult schedule even if they cancel every non-conference game.

The entire discussion of OOC games is agenda driven. We should be looking at the entirety of the schedule, not just a few games.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Non-conference schedule? Who cares? Clemson's OOC schedule appears to be fairly difficult with USCe and aTM, but the rest of their schedule is a complete joke. Meanwhile every team in the SEC will face a very difficult schedule even if they cancel every non-conference game.

The entire discussion of OOC games is agenda driven. We should be looking at the entirety of the schedule, not just a few games.
Yes, it pretty much is the only reason we ever hear about it.

Back when BYU was being slammed during the late stages of the 1984 season, there WAS, in fact, an agenda.

Barry Switzer had one when he derided their schedule (he never bothered to mention that his loss was by a 28-11 trouncing at a 2-5 Kansas team).

The press had one because BYU was obligated to the Holiday Bowl, which wasn't broadcast throughout the entire country as the Orange Bowl was.

And the Orange Bowl had one as well.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I've seen some people say that it was the ACC that gave us Duke? something to do with the FSU game or something? no idea.
It is said that Duke complained because they were never considered when the ACC was being considered as a source for one of the participants. IMO, the PTB (namely Gary Stokan) prefers either (not both) an ACC or SEC team, and only defaults to both when a non-ACC/SEC opponent can not be contracted.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
espn and all the others are assuming they know how the season will play out. Right now on paper this schedule looks easy, but we really have no idea what will happen. This is what makes college football great. Duke could end up in a New Years 6 by seasons end. They could also go 2-10. I just want to be there for the ride. This season needs to get here.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
R
You got that right! Cut usually has the Blue Devils in a competitive situation and that will continue to be the case I think. According to this, they even have a 3% chance of beating us:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...09/duke-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

The same Cutcliffe-coached program we beat 56-6 in 2010 on their field? The network won’t have my eyeballs watching this mismatch.

This game will not be competitive and Nick will name the score. And that’s why I and many other fans will tune out, instead follow the game on the cable scoreboard shows, and watch other games that day.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
R

The same Cutcliffe-coached program we beat 56-6 in 2010 on their field? The network won’t have my eyeballs watching this mismatch.

This game will not be competitive and Nick will name the score. And that’s why I and many other fans will tune out, instead follow the game on the cable scoreboard shows, and watch other games that day.
1) Alabama football is Alabama football so it will be on my tv whether we play LSU or WCU.

2) what other games will you have on? I seriously doubt you have checked the schedule and you are talking out of your rear. Because if you did then you would know that all of the marquee games with the exception of Auburn- Oregon had been played the week prior. Alabama- Duke is the 2nd biggest that day and the only reason it isn’t a night game is because Auburn is. So don’t act like that there are better more competitive games on because unless you are talking about bad football teams playing each other then it’s going to be a lot of 50-3 ball games up until Oregon- Auburn.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1) Alabama put their name in the hat hoping to get a big matchup like FSU, Clemson, Miami, or some non ACC team.

2) ACC gets first dibs with the SEC on the Chick-fil-A kickoff game

3) Duke complained about not being a part of these kinda matchups while UNC has.

4) the ACC basically said Duke gets the next pick on games and they chose a game be Alabama in 2019.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.