scholarship disparity

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Wife posted an article from the CWS that brought up the disparity in scholarships again. I get 85 with football. It makes money, but it can also go thru athletes since it's such a violent sport. 22 starters + specialty players + backups etc...I get 85. Basketball starts 5 players and most teams run thru a couple subs each game...it gets 13 scholarships. Then you have baseball...27 on a d1 roster and they get 11.7? Why is that? Podunk d1 basketball don't put that many butts in seats. A lot of podunk d1 football teams don't put enough butts in seats to pay the bills (UAB come to mind). But all those schools still cover their respective scholarships, yet baseball gets 11.7. I just don't get it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Basketball gets 13 but a lot of teams seem to give the 13th to a walk on. Good for him but clearly most could live without 13 scholarships. And I think women get 15.

Here is how I would do gender equity if I ran the NCAA. Every school must sponsor the same number of sports. Each sport gets the same number of scholarships for each sex. If men’s basketball gets 13, women get 13. Baseball gets what softball gets. Both track teams get the same.

Yes, the 85 for football overloads it for men. But football brings in the most money.

Go ahead, call me a sexist pig for this proposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Softball gets 12 which is basically what baseball gets (and the 12 can be subdivided... ie softball is also an equivalency sport)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.