Link: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 61
  1. #14
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,630

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    This writer obviously has drunk deeply from the well of the Willie Taggart Kool Aid. That said, anybody with a half-a-brain could see the desperation behind Fisher's and FSU's coddling of Winston and the other top players -- treatment that presaged the quick collapse of the program.

    Still, I'm trying to understand how the writer and his editors could turn out a piece like this that excuses Taggart so completely -- particularly given the problems last year with his own staff, and a track record for resurrecting programs that, frankly, lacks resurrections.

  2. #15
    BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Haleyville, AL
    Posts
    3,225

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    He quit on his team

  3. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,548

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    He quit on his team
    More of the Other way around

  4. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    5,648

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Heard about this on the radio this morning. Very interesting. Announcers and the link above, said Jimbo's failure to reign in Crab Legs was a major factor in the programs decline. Disgusting.
    He seemed like a win at all costs slime bag to me when he was at FSU, yet Texas A&M's desperation caused them to sign him to a huge contract. I have a feeling that they will regret it before it is over. It causes me to feel a little ill when I hear some people mention his name when we discuss who may take over for Nick Saban. Then again, maybe he will do things better now that he has another chance.

  5. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,548

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Here is a question? Why would you stay at a place that refuses to upgrade your facilities, a place that requires you to constantly have to be seen at your chief rival’s town to treat your son who has a rare disease, and has juicy rumors about how your ex wife cheated on you over a program that is upgrading facilities at a break neck speed, has a facility on campus for your son, and you can get further away from the details of your divorce. All the while getting paid way more than your former job would’ve ever dreamed paying you.

  6. #19
    BamaNation Second Team GboyBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    61

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Bowden's phony aw shucks act that lasted decades should give FSU a century of bad karma, IMO.

    That predates anything Jimbo did to sink the program.

  7. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    19,045

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Sounds like stuff you’d hear about the Shula transition. In other words, sounds like it might be getting worse before it gets better with the next coach.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

  8. #21
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,908

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    He quit on his team
    A lot of folks would say Saban quit on the Dolphins, too - fwiw.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  9. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,908

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Sounds like stuff you’d hear about the Shula transition. In other words, sounds like it might be getting worse before it gets better with the next coach.
    It's still an excuse.

    Gene Chizik inherited a 5-7 football team playing in a MUCH tougher conference than Taggart is - and won a national title his second year there.

    Butch Davis inherited a probation-riddled train wreck at Miami. They went 9-3 his second year and beat two ranked teams.

    Pat Dye inherited a 5-6 probation-riddled mess at Auburn in 1980 and had them in a toe-to-toe slugfest with #1 Georgia his second year and a title contender his third.

    Bob Stoops inherited a train wreck that had been in the doldrums most of a decade - and won a national title his second year.

    Brian Kelly inherited an absolute disaster of a program that had spent most of the previous decade-plus wandering in the wilderness - and had them in the title game in three years.

    Tom Herman inherited a terrible situation and in his second year played for the Big 12 title and beat one of the nation's five best teams in the Sugar Bowl. (Yeah, we can say Georgia didn't want to be there, but Texas still had to win the game).

    Terry Bowden inherited a mess at Auburn, too - and won his first twenty games.

    Dan Mullen inherited a complete disaster at Miss St (29-65 from 2001-2008, with ONE winning season) and was 9-4 his second year and massacred a Michigan team on whom most of his own players would be second-string.


    Taggart inherited a program that in the eight years before he got hired went 83-23 and won a national title.


    NONE of these other coaches inherited that good a situation.


    So I don't want to hear it.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  10. #23
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,321
    Thread Starter

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    It's still an excuse.

    Gene Chizik inherited a 5-7 football team playing in a MUCH tougher conference than Taggart is - and won a national title his second year there.

    Butch Davis inherited a probation-riddled train wreck at Miami. They went 9-3 his second year and beat two ranked teams.

    Pat Dye inherited a 5-6 probation-riddled mess at Auburn in 1980 and had them in a toe-to-toe slugfest with #1 Georgia his second year and a title contender his third.

    Bob Stoops inherited a train wreck that had been in the doldrums most of a decade - and won a national title his second year.

    Brian Kelly inherited an absolute disaster of a program that had spent most of the previous decade-plus wandering in the wilderness - and had them in the title game in three years.

    Tom Herman inherited a terrible situation and in his second year played for the Big 12 title and beat one of the nation's five best teams in the Sugar Bowl. (Yeah, we can say Georgia didn't want to be there, but Texas still had to win the game).

    Terry Bowden inherited a mess at Auburn, too - and won his first twenty games.

    Dan Mullen inherited a complete disaster at Miss St (29-65 from 2001-2008, with ONE winning season) and was 9-4 his second year and massacred a Michigan team on whom most of his own players would be second-string.


    Taggart inherited a program that in the eight years before he got hired went 83-23 and won a national title.


    NONE of these other coaches inherited that good a situation.


    So I don't want to hear it.
    Maybe Willie can find a generational talent at QB like Chizik did. It's a stretch to include Chizik when the circumstances there were anything but normal.

    Can't help but notice most of your list is second year. Not saying Taggart is going to win a title this year, but it is his second year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  11. #24
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,908

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Maybe Willie can find a generational talent at QB like Chizik did. It's a stretch to include Chizik when the circumstances there were anything but normal.

    Can't help but notice most of your list is second year. Not saying Taggart is going to win a title this year, but it is his second year.
    Exactly.

    Kirby Smart, too.


    And while I know the whole Chizik thing (he's an exception)......the FACT is, they still won those games and the SEC was a meat grinder more so then than now.

    I skipped Saban and Bryant, too, but those are hardly fair.

    But if you're a GOOD coach......well, we will find out this year. I'm a firm believer in that.

    We can add Kirby Smart, but he DID inherit a substantially better situation, too.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  12. #25
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beautiful Cullman, AL
    Posts
    18,157

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    He quit on his team
    Nah.

    Steve Spurrier quit on his team (South Carolina). Bobby Petrino quit on the Atlanta Falcons. Fisher may have left before he said he would, but he at least finished the season.

  13. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,548

    Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Nah.

    Steve Spurrier quit on his team (South Carolina). Bobby Petrino quit on the Atlanta Falcons. Fisher may have left before he said he would, but he at least finished the season.
    Fisher was actually forced out by FSU because of something that he said or did say on one of his talk shows the week before the Florida game if memory serves me correctly. I think they knew they burned a bridge by not upgrading after years of him begging and knew aTm was calling with oil money so they tried to save face by forcing a bogus ultimatum.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear