Link: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I put that more on his ego than stupidity. Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between the two, though.
    I am a cucumber cool person for real, even when I'm caught up in the stadium rush.

But I went on a Billy Martin level tirade on that one, screaming words I don't normally use.
    Maybe it was just the sudden weather changes plus the game plus whatever, but that REALLY set me off.

And then after the game, his answer to that very question was Flat Earth level stupid.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American bamamc1's Avatar

Re: The Mess Jimbo Left: Inside FSU's Fall and Willie Taggart's Plan to Rise Again

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    You must also think this:

"Take a look at all of the future hall of famers on the 2008 New England Patriots team that didn't make the playoffs due to Tom Brady being injured in the first game... Bill Belichick is way OVERRATED."
    Patriots were 11-5 Jimbo 7-6. Left the program in horrible academic shape as well (almost postseason ban for academic progress). Good luck aTm.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    Patriots were 11-5 Jimbo 7-6. Left the program in horrible academic shape as well (almost postseason ban for academic progress). Good luck aTm.
    Yeah and probably the greatest teams ever assembled still missed the playoffs because their quarterback went out in the first quarter. But you missed the point. The point is FSU wouldíve most likely been a 10 win team with Francois instead of 7-6. Losing a qb can change a great season to a mediocre or crap season.

So what was his answer to the question after the game? (...and I love "FLAT EARTH LEVEL STUPID...stealing that!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I am a cucumber cool person for real, even when I'm caught up in the stadium rush.

But I went on a Billy Martin level tirade on that one, screaming words I don't normally use.
    Maybe it was just the sudden weather changes plus the game plus whatever, but that REALLY set me off.

And then after the game, his answer to that very question was Flat Earth level stupid.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    So what was his answer to the question after the game? (...and I love "FLAT EARTH LEVEL STUPID...stealing that!!!)
    He got asked why he called timeouts with seconds left in the game. Here's Jimbo answering why he did it:

ďTrying to score points. The game isnít over. You play the next play. Why would you not? If you can score points, you play. So you tell your kids to go play every play hard, give everything you got, and youíd let the clock run out? That ainít what competitors do. That ainít what Texas A&Mís gonna do. Texas A&Mís gonna play until the horn blows! Thatís the way you teach it, thatís the way you coach it, thatís the way you are. Donít talk intangibles and then not live it.Ē

But let me just point out why this is a bigger pile of crap than the dung pit in Hell.

1) When he was down by 22 points with 7:36 remaining, Fisher did not attempt an onsides kick.

That would be bad enough but then...

2) he didn't bother to call timeout on Alabama's next drive......but he had THREE of them.

3) when Hurts fumbled and Najee recovered with 3:53 left, he didn't call timeout even though he had three. It was fourth and 14 and everyone on planet earth knew we were punting. He got the ball back with 3:05 left, meaning he burned 48 seconds. Forty-eight seconds is a lifetime in a college football game with the clock stop at the first down marker.

But Fisher, who tells us he was so damned gung-ho to fight to the final whistle packs it in with less than four minutes to go.....but it gets better.

4) When ATM got the ball back, Numb Nutz pulled his starting quarterback and sent in the backup.

Mr fight to the finish, never give up, put in the player who presumably wasn't as good. And I'm sure this didn't have a damned thing to do with his FSU quarterback getting hurt in the fourth quarter against Alabama in the 2017 opener.

Up to this point, every single thing Fisher did was reasonable and defensible IF you figure, "Hey, he's playing it safe, he's using it to evaluate his second stringer and keep his stud healthy." Except....

5) His backup QB was throwing MOSTLY to......backup receivers.

But even then, he didn't call the FIRST time out until there were THIRTEEN SECONDS left in the damn game. What made this even more ridiculous is that there were 20 seconds left when the receiver got tackled for the first down. ATM was so gung ho, they let the ball get set and ran seven seconds off the clock and THEN Fisher calls his first timeout with 13 seconds left.

He calls a short out...NOT a pass in the end zone...complete, and he calls TO with ONE second left.

So a guy pulls his starting QB, throws mostly to his NOT stud receivers (or backups), lets the clock run.......and pours out a bull snot excuse like the one above.

I'd have had more respect if he'd have said, "I was just being a jerk." It would have the virtue of accuracy.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    Heard about this on the radio this morning. Very interesting. Announcers and the link above, said Jimbo's failure to reign in Crab Legs was a major factor in the programs decline. Disgusting.
    Yeah, I can't see Bimjo in any other way. It was the same with AU and Cam and FSU and Winston. They knew what was going on and just sold their souls to grab a title. Bimjo will always be slimy to me, but, hey, it worked for him because he got paid major bucks by A&M. His reward is just another of the type of thing that causes me to like college football a little bit less each and every year. Obviously, I have loved college football for a long time, but the things that make me love it seem to be shrinking while the things that make me not like it as much seem to be growing.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar

Jameis W. would probably be a much better QB now, IF he had had a Head Coach who DISCIPLINED him for Crab Legs and everything that he got away with. Coach Bryant would have been perfect for him.

Yep, I was watching that game where he had been suspended and showed up anyway. Coach Jimbo was a WIMP in dealing with that situation. Jameis had the TALENT, but he LACKED SELF-DISCIPLINE and needed a head coach who was not afraid to DISCIPLINE him.

I enjoyed reading the article that RTR91 posted.

Now, is Texas A & M a CHANCE for Jimbo to RESTORE his name and CREDIBILITY as a head coach? I guess we will see. To do what he did at FSU and get the kind of $$$$$$$$$$$ he's getting at TA&M, wow. Will Jimbo be the Next Fran at TA&M or will he get it together. Hopefully, he learned some lessons in dealing with SUPER Athletes. With all that said, Texas A & M is looking better. I'm sure that LSU vs A&M game last year COULD be the TURNING POINT for them. That was a hell-of-a game to win.

Well, one other COMMENT. University of Texas head coach stated this week at the B12-2 that he'd like to see UT vs TA&M restore that rivalry. I hope it NEVER happens that they meet again UNLESS they are both in the NCAA Championship Playoffs. Give UT at least 100 years to lose some of their ARROGANCE.
    Last edited by Al A Bama; July 18th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I think it goes back farther than Fisher, to Bowden and the whole "coach in waiting" fiasco. IIRC, Fisher was impatient and repeatedly attempted to undermine a senile Bowden. Then he recruits Winston who was a locker room cancer from day 1. As for FSU returning to its glory years I am not so sure. Look how long Miami has been a footnote in college football. The rise of USF, UCF, Florida (under Mullen) and possibly Miami (under Diaz) is going to make it tough to get the best recruits out of Florida. As for Taggart, he hasn't been anywhere long enough to see if can rebuild and sustain a broken program. We dodged a bullet when Winston signed on with FSU.
    I haven't read all the responses, but the assessment above seems like it hits the mark.

I also question Taggert's ability to turn this program around. I remember a quote from a kid we were recruiting who had poignant criticisms about the way Taggert was running things at FSU. Most notably, he didn't feel that either the staff or players had a championship mentality - they were too casual.

BamaNation Second Team

I'll say this, the PTB at FSU have caused this. I'm not sure Jimbo had much choice in whether or not to discipline Winston or anyone else. It was probably TOLD to him that he will leave the players alone short of commiting murder. That program has been undisciplined for decades. It didn't just start with Jimbo and it won't end with Taggert. He will either "get with the program" or he'll end up walking, too.