Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
ps don't confuse the AAC with the AAF. ;)

There are some good teams in the AAC, to be sure. But there are some clunkers.

UCF/USF/Memphis/UH are legit. The others not so much. Sure, the others may win a year or two out of 5 but they would almost always be in the bottom quintile of any P5 conference.

Last edited:

Tider_in_GA

Scout Team
Nov 25, 2009
Rossville, GA
Is the Big East doing football again? Or is UConn dropping football.

Or maybe I’m confused but I thought the Big East did all sports except football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is the Big East doing football again? Or is UConn dropping football.

Or maybe I’m confused but I thought the Big East did all sports except football.
UConn is going independent in football in hopes another conference will pick up the football team. IOW, they have pretty much killed the football program for a few years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Their football program was pretty well heading towards program death anyway. They made the money move for basketball and understandably so. UCONN football has been a big "loss leader" for the university and I wouldn't be surprised in 5 years if they were playing Delaware and Villanova in FCS.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Hopefully UConn will move back down to FCS in football. They were the one team that just didn't fit in after all the dust up with the Big East/ACC. They have no football identity, and their basketball belonged with all the teams that left. I would imagine the AAC has been a massive step down in basketball prestige, although the women have won titles since the realignment occurred. I know they were desperate for an ACC invite that ultimately went to Louisville, but that's never going happen.

As for UAB... more power to them if they can swing it. It'll help, but I'm not sure it will change the lack of a fanbase.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I am no big UAB fan but I am a big Bill Clark fan. Had it not been for him college football would have left downtown Birmingham for good. I am still amazed he stayed with UAB but even more baffled as to how any well established football program needing a head coach did not snap him up when they had the chance. Colorado, for example, would have been well served by Bill Clark IMHO.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This would no doubt be a step up for them financially if the AAC would have them. It is the better of the group of 5 conferences. I wonder how much this will influence the bottom line of the entire sports program. The AAC put four teams in the basketball tournament in addition to a few mid level bowls. Would other AAC programs be good with this move? What does UAB bring to the table? Perhaps as much as UConn.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I am no big UAB fan but I am a big Bill Clark fan. Had it not been for him college football would have left downtown Birmingham for good. I am still amazed he stayed with UAB but even more baffled as to how any well established football program needing a head coach did not snap him up when they had the chance. Colorado, for example, would have been well served by Bill Clark IMHO.
I believe Bill and his wife each were close to getting 20+ years in the state system, so that played a big part in him staying.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I believe Bill and his wife each were close to getting 20+ years in the state system, so that played a big part in him staying.
Even at loser programs, retirement and SS become more attractive when the coach and his wife get near time to retire.
(Alabama State Retirement programs are based on the best 3 of the last 10 years)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'll add, mostly concerned myself with UCONN in my first post, that this is a great move for UAB but their competition will stiffen greatly in the AAC.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Moving to the AAC would be a good prestige move for UAB. However... suddenly competition in all sports would stiffen dramatically. So do they want to be a big dog in C-USA or take on the challenge ( and probably be middle of the road) in the AAC. If offered the chance, they probably can't turn down the AAC. Most say others are higher on the list for the AAC.
If they get into the AAC then expect Navy to move to the East and UAB to land in the West.
The AAC might not add a team if they can't find a team to help with TV revenue.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Moving to the AAC would be a good prestige move for UAB. However... suddenly competition in all sports would stiffen dramatically. So do they want to be a big dog in C-USA or take on the challenge ( and probably be middle of the road) in the AAC. If offered the chance, they probably can't turn down the AAC. Most say others are higher on the list for the AAC.
If they get into the AAC then expect Navy to move to the East and UAB to land in the West.
The AAC might not add a team if they can't find a team to help with TV revenue.
And what is the highest rated CFB market in the nation?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
NCAA FBS Football Independents

1. Notre Dame
2. Army
3. BYU
4. UMass
5. New Mexico State
6. Liberty University
7. UConn ??
The last four on that list would come to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and play The University of Alabama football team on the next to last weekend of the season. And you could probably add the oddball out on AAC scheduling that weekend. Just saying in case anyone in the Athletic Department is paying attention to the complaints of FCS scheduling.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.