Where do you think Coach Saban ends up in Career Wins Stats?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think he'll be 5th all time when he retires. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he gets any farther than that.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_coaches_with_200_wins

Honestly I think if/when he wins another national championship I think he will be more likely to hang it up soon after. I think CNS will probably hit #16 above Beamer, I just dont think he is obssesed at hitting the 300 club or trying to catch the Bear in wins or SECCs. I think deep down Saban knows what many Alabama fans and other college football fans know (many still too proud to admit it), and that is that he is leagues better than any name above his. The only reason(s) I can see him going higher than #16 would be if he just has that itch still or if Dabo is on pace to catch his NC mark. Other than that I see it far more likely for Belichick to try to catch Shula than Saban hitting the 300 club and catching the Bear.

ETA: If we are strictly going by the OP's SR list and ignoring Frank Beamer's non FBS career ,and others ,then Saban will probably finish anywhere from 4th to 7th. Personally I think the Wikipedia list is better mostly because " Does anyone believe Lavell, Amos, and Pop really have that much of a harder road to getting in the top 10 as Eddie Robinson?" Point is I think this list is meant to say more that Jo Pa and Bobby Bowden are the winningest coaches based on an arbitrary metric, and say Robinson doesn't deserve the distinction." More or less Beamer doesn't have a
42–23–2 record at Murrary st according to them.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
In this new CFB Playoff Era CNS is averaging 13.75 Wins per season...

If that level of success continues he will reach 300 Wins in exactly 5 Years.

As long as he stays healthy and wants to Coach (He seems as fired up as ever coming off his recent surgery) I think he will join the 300 Club and has a shot at passing CPB.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/wins-coach-career.html

Coming into this year he's 232 (according to the NCAA) and ranked 12th....behind Bo Schembechler

With 7 wins gets him to 9th place all-time....

Can he catch Coach Bryant? He'd need 7-8 years to make it happen.....
I doubt it.

He's got to win 92 games to pass him. SEVEN more 13-win seasons would be 91 - and seriously, while we don't like to think about it, what are the odds of that? He'll be 68 this fall, so we're talking 75 years old as a college football coach.

I just don't see that happening even if he's still coaching us at 75.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'd guess 5-6... Not that it matters to Coach Saban.
He knows he's light years ahead of most of those guys ahead of him, and so does most of America.

Time for some Blasphemy...
IMO: Coach Bryant would have a lesser record under todays rules
and recruiting restrictions.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'd guess 5-6... Not that it matters to Coach Saban.
He knows he's light years ahead of most of those guys ahead of him, and so does most of America.

Time for some Blasphemy...
IMO: Coach Bryant would have a lesser record under todays rules
and recruiting restrictions.
Actually, he probably would.

And he sure as hell wouldn't have six national championships, either.

In no way can we take anything away from Coach Bryant, but the fact is that it was a much easier to win a national title by a vote than it is by playing the other "best" team head-to-head. It's not his fault that things were that way, but the reality is that the 1973 title (at a minimum) would not be his. I'll spot the 64-65 mess since there's no way to know what happens (in 65, we did basically win a head to head title game and if we're going to transpose 1964 to now, we also have to transpose video replay, which might vindicate Namath).

Bryant was still by far the best of his era, though.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I figure Coach will finish with about 290 wins. That's a lot of wins, and let's just say that if you only use his wins from Bama, his per-season record would be the best ever. A Legend.

rtr

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I honestly think he will take adding more championships to his resume and leaving the program in a successful position is something he values more. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.