Link: Family of 2 yr old struck by foul ball at Minute Maid Park hire a lawyer.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I got into a discussion with a group of people on FB about this story. I know the topic of adding more netting further down the boundary of the field has been a hot topic discussion lately in MLB. Several participants in the FB discussion I was in stated the organization/MLB should be held liable for the child's injuries. The risk of injury from a foul ball is stated on the ticket the people purchase.

Since 1913, every ticket to a major league game has included a disclaimer saying the holder of the ticket assumes all the risks inherent to the game. Called the "Baseball Rule," it has made it nearly impossible for fans injured at games to successfully sue teams or MLB.
I just don't see how the ballpark or MLB should be held liable for these type injuries. Foul balls are definitely an inherent part of the game. I also don't understand taking a 2 year old either. But that's just me.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27061819/family-2-year-old-hit-foul-ball-details-injuries

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I got into a discussion with a group of people on FB about this story. I know the topic of adding more netting further down the boundary of the field has been a hot topic discussion lately in MLB. Several participants in the FB discussion I was in stated the organization/MLB should be held liable for the child's injuries. The risk of injury from a foul ball is stated on the ticket the people purchase.

I just don't see how the ballpark or MLB should be held liable for these type injuries. Foul balls are definitely an inherent part of the game. I also don't understand taking a 2 year old either. But that's just me.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27061819/family-2-year-old-hit-foul-ball-details-injuries
They’ll get money, it’s the world we live in. Large, money making entities are seen as evil, especially when against an individual or family.

My first crossing accident was in 2009 and the mother of his children hired a lawyer so I spent a lot of time on the phone with the regional claims agent for the State of Georgia. He told me that even in cases like mine where the railroad was technically not at fault (under speed, lights, bell, and correct horn blowing) that they would still make an offer to the family to keep it from going to the court system because in their experience big, bad corporations against individuals had fared poorly in terms of damages awarded even though they weren’t liable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They’ll get money, it’s the world we live in. Large, money making entities are seen as evil, especially when against an individual or family.

My first crossing accident was in 2009 and the mother of his children hired a lawyer so I spent a lot of time on the phone with the regional claims agent for the State of Georgia. He told me that even in cases like mine where the railroad was technically not at fault (under speed, lights, bell, and correct horn blowing) that they would still make an offer to the family to keep it from going to the court system because in their experience big, bad corporations against individuals had fared poorly in terms of damages awarded even though they weren’t liable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes, it's not even between individuals and corporations, given the current climate. Some years ago now, a leader in the plaintiff's bar in Alabama issued a veiled threat to those of us who practice other sorts of law that, if we didn't get behind the legislative program he wanted, they would start doing wills and things the others of us do (not that there's one in a hundred who could do what I do). A few years ago, a young boy, about nine at the time, jumped on the back of a sleeping dog and the dog whirled and snapped, opening up a gash about an inch long in the boy's scalp. These two couples were both friends of each other and of mine. The kid's family sued. One of the settlement demands was that not only the offending dog be put down but that the dog's sister also be put down. (The two dogs hated each other.) That didn't happen. However, eventually, the St. Farm rep called the dog owner and asked if he would consent to a $150K settlement to "make it go away." He reluctantly consented...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I’m torn on the issue of extending the nets in MLB stadiums. I love baseball, always have and always will. I hate seeing accidents like this and hope the girl recovers soon.

One reason I would hate to see the nets extended to the foul polls is because of what it takes away from the game. No more players reaching into the first row to snag a foul pop up. It would greatly limit player/fan interaction like players handing a kid a ball or tossing one a few rows into the stands. Same goes for when ball boys/girls give kids balls. I think this is a great part of the game and something uniquely baseball.

Then again, players are stronger and equipment is more lively these days and accidents like this are increasing. Yes, every ticket warns of this but, if not every batter can get out of the way of a 95mph fastball, why do we expect a non athletic spectator to be able to get out of the way of a 100 mph + foul ball? You can have all your attention on the game but have only seconds to react.

Unlike some baseball traditionalists, I will not be mad or upset if MLB decides to extend the nets. Honestly, it’s probably for the best. I’d hate to see the things I mention earlier go away but, it will not ruin the game for me.

One last thing clubs will have to consider is that many of these seats in harms way are some of the more expensive seats in the stadium. It’s not always fun watching the game through a net and, will the patrons who can afford these seats still be willing to pay for a slightly “obstructed” view? I will never have to worry about this because I can’t afford to sit low enough to be in harms way, not at MLB games at least. Biscuits games maybe.

In fact, I wish the Biscuits would extend the nets. Took the family to a game last year on 4th of July and sat in the second row behind the 3rd base bullpen. I was on edge the whole game. We are going again this year on the 4th and I purposely chose seats behind the nets so I could relax a little.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I don't understand taking a 2 year old to a baseball game or any sporting event for that matter. It is not like a 2 year old will later remember the moment unless they are Selma.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't understand taking a 2 year old to a baseball game or any sporting event for that matter. It is not like a 2 year old will later remember the moment unless they are Selma.
I agree. I also don't understand (we witnessed this last season at a Rangers/Red Sox game) people who go to baseball games and spend 95 percent of the time either looking at facebook on their phone or getting up and going to the concession stand for 20 minutes at a time. Why even bother to pay for the ticket and show up?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree. I also don't understand (we witnessed this last season at a Rangers/Red Sox game) people who go to baseball games and spend 95 percent of the time either looking at facebook on their phone or getting up and going to the concession stand for 20 minutes at a time. Why even bother to pay for the ticket and show up?
I went to a Braves game and saw the same thing.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
or getting up and going to the concession stand for 20 minutes at a time.
Ha, 20 minutes would be great. Went to the home opener for the Braves this year and I missed 3 whole innings standing in line for concessions. Lines were ridiculous and it wasn’t even a packed house. I missed 1/3 of the game I paid to see just for some snacks. I love SunTrust Park and think it is a great baseball stadium, except for the concession lines. They have to fix it some how because it shouldn’t take that long to get a piece of pizza and a couple sodas.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Ha, 20 minutes would be great. Went to the home opener for the Braves this year and I missed 3 whole innings standing in line for concessions. Lines were ridiculous and it wasn’t even a packed house. I missed 1/3 of the game I paid to see just for some snacks. I love SunTrust Park and think it is a great baseball stadium, except for the concession lines. They have to fix it some how because it shouldn’t take that long to get a piece of pizza and a couple sodas.
I'm seeing people go multiple, multiple times during the game to the concession stand. They have to be at least missing half the game just in concession stand visits. That's not counting the time spent playing on their phones. Why bother going to the game? LOL!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
If you’re going to the game, take a glove and be ready to field the ball when it comes your way. You don’t have to make a great play to catch a ball that’***** right at you or the folks next to you.

And leave the two year old with grandma.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Another child was struck by a line drive in MLB. This time it was a 3 year old. I don't think the problem is as much line drives hitting fans as much as it is kids that are honestly not age appropriate being brought to a MLB game. We recently attended a game and had row 4 tickets just down from where the back of first base and front of the left field line grass begins. Literally one row in front of us was a couple with a 2 year who they spent the entire game chasing or trying to keep from crawling over into another set of seats. If I had to guess, neither parent watched a combine three to four innings of that entire 9 inning game due to having to tend to this restless uninterested child.

Also, adults playing on their phones and not paying attention to the game is also drastically increasing the risks of someone getting clocked by a foul ball. One thing my wife and my daughter realized when recently attending their first MLB game. The game moves much faster in person than it is perceived to move on t.v.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27235517/it-stinks-lindor-says-foul-ball-strikes-child

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
I’m no longer torn on this issue.

Just extend the netting and the problem is solved. People should be able to enjoy the game how they see fit, not worrying about defending your family against balls that leave the bat at 100+ mph.

I don’t even want to hear the tired argument of the view sucks behind the net. I sit behind the net all the time at Biscuits games and it is perfectly fine. I enjoy the game more knowing I don’t have to worry about foul balls. Plus, the most expensive seats in every MLB stadium are right behind home plate (minus luxury boxes). If the view was as horrible as some fans make it seem, those tickets would never sell. Braves don’t seem to have a problem selling them at $525 a pop.

Kids going to baseball games has been a thing since the game was invented, stop acting like it is some parental crime to bring young kids to a game. Plus, the stadiums these days are built to distract with all the huge screens that show different things and flashy thing all the time.

There has been a huge out cry this year about the “juiced” ball. Well that same ball that is being thrown faster, hit harder and flying out the park faster is also scream towards foul territory faster than ever. If this is the direction the league wants the game to go then the nets need to be extended. Safety should be the top priority.

Good article from The Athletic, I agree with his viewpoint:

Reed: Nets need to be extended at baseball games right now — and I know why https://theathletic.com/1089612/201...d-at-baseball-games-right-now-and-i-know-why/

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.