Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

The Williamson lady is a joke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    She wants to meet Trump on the field of love? Does that mean he's her type?
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Swalwell’s zingers are causing me actual pain.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Would pay good money to see Rachel Maddow throat punch Chuck Todd.
    Iím starting to come around to Maddow.

I donít understand why Todd or Blitzer are serious pundits and political talk show hosts. They offer practically nothing.

DNC Debates, Round 2

I think mayor Pete came off the best. Gillibrand and Sanders the worst. Talking heads seem to love Harris, but I didnít see it; she just came across as angry. The Colorado guys I think came off pretty well, but donít stand a chance.

I think the Dems best bet is Pete or Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BamaSC; June 27th, 2019 at 10:17 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

If debates matter, I think Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg would eat Donald Trump alive.

If tonight was an accurate indicator, debating is not the forte of Biden or Sanders.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Swalwell’s zingers are causing me actual pain.
    I’m actually thankful for Swalwell. Purely for the fact that his “pass the torch” line allowed him to be the one to call all the old candidates old and Pete could sit back while America realizes he’s younger than Swalwell after a quick google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

If debates matter, I think Kamala Harris or Pete Buttigieg would eat Donald Trump alive.

If tonight was an accurate indicator, debating is not the forte of Biden or Sanders.

Here's a dirty little secret: debates don't mean diddly squat. The absolute worst pounding ever administered in any Presidential debate was Lloyd Bentsen jack hammering Dan Quayle in 1988. (Okay, it was a VP debate, but you know what I mean).

Dukakis lost the election about as badly as Quayle lost the debate. Despite the institutional importance given to them - they don't mean "nothing," but they mean "next to nothing." That's not so true at the lower level (Todd Akin serving as the best example). But they don't matter.

What CAN do you in, however, is what Lee Atwater used to call "a defining moment."

Ed Muskie "crying" on the back of a truck when he raged against William Loeb's attack upon him.
    George H W Bush just sitting there while Reagan said he was paying for the microphone.
    Teddy Kennedy unable to answer "why do you want to be President."
    Bob Dole snorting, "Stop lying about my record" after losing the 1988 NH primary (I believe he was on NBC).

And - obviously - Howard Dean's infamous speech (I thought Dean was a bumpkin joke whom I watched Tim Russert expose as a complete fraud the first time I saw him, and I never could have voted for him - but I also thought he got a bum rap on that one speech, too).

Of course - and here's where they intersect - when the defining moment occurs IN the debate.....that's what everyone fears. Ford saying Poland is not under Soviet domination, Reagan decking Mondale with the line about "youth and inexperience," Dukakis botching the capital punishment question, Bush 41 looking at his watch, and Romney talking about his "binders" of women.

You can lose every debate - but if you win the post-debate spin then it doesn't matter.
    Gore thumped Bush two out of three, but he lost the spin in one of his two wins.
    Clinton thumped Trump all three times - but the most memorable moment of any of those three was Trump's, "And you'd be in jail" comment.

Btw - I don't watch these things (last debate I saw was the Cheney-Edwards one in 2004), but I know enough about the views of everyone here that I can get a good take on what happened just by reading here (which is why I'm here).

So thanks everyone for your input.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

you just need to center your orbs or whatever
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I agree that the debates are mostly useless especially when I have good enough information on the three candidates likely to still be around by the time the Alabama primary happens. Optics are more important than content with these things.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Harris absolutely killed it. She combined empathy and outrage in a very effective way. What she did to Biden last night needed a parental advisory.

Buttigieg was also fantastic. He remains the best communicator of ideas in the field, and his words have a raw honesty that I find refreshing. Swalwell caught him off guard with the police shooting comment, but IMO that interjection reflected more poorly on Swalwell than on Buttigieg.

Sanders seems to still be running the 2016 campaign? His record has only one track, and we've all heard it before. The moderators kept trying to get him to explain HOW he could invoke some of his grander plans, and he never took the opportunity to really explain that. Disappointing.

Biden spent all night campaigning for Barack Obama, licking his wounds, and begging the moderators to stop asking him questions. He's a terrible candidate.

Gillibrand interrupted more than de Blasio, and seemed uncertain what to do with the spotlight whenever she got it. The summary of her contribution is, "my turn."

Yang didn't get much time. I appreciate him advancing the idea of UBI, but that is not a realistic 2020 issue.

Bennett came across as a nice guy. That is all.

Hickenlooper tried to convince everyone that he's already solved every problem being discussed. He and Inslee would get along.

Swalwell deserves an assist for taking the torch from Biden and letting Harris savage him with it.

Williamson was... just incredible.

Tier 1: Warren, Harris, Buttigieg

Tier 2: Castro, Sanders, Booker

Everyone else can pack it up.