DNC Debates, Round 2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 135
  1. #27
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,703

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I’ll remind y’all that Hillary and Kerry were neither the most exciting, best prepared, or the most liberal candidate at the debate stage but yet they are 2 of the last 3 democratic nominees. Point is why many of y’all are thinking this is the beginning of the end of Biden, history still points to him being a serious candidate without being either.

    Long race but I think the biggest takeaway is that there are far too many candidates with no business being there.
    I will drink to that. Is there some reason they could not have made the debates one hour each with 5 candidates?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  2. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,207

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Tier 1: Warren, Harris, Buttigieg

    Tier 2: Castro, Sanders, Booker

    Everyone else can pack it up.
    Prisoner of the moment much? I remember everyone after the first 3 debates on the RNC side saying Trump and Cruz were toast...

    I think truthfully the first debate(s) that kinda matters is the one in before and after Iowa. Then you pretty much know who is for real and who should pack it up.

    While the debate might feel like it showed us something, but just remember strength and weakness changes from debate to debate because those who dunk on front runners in the previous debate can’t do it the same way again without sounding like a broken record or being countered in an effective way. Look at how effective Ted Cruz’s line “ Trump took money from Democrats” was from his 1st time to his millionth.

    I think the only serious candidate with no chance is Sanders and that is because he is splitting the vote with Warren while also not tapping into much else.

  3. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Prisoner of the moment much?
    IMO no, at least for the top 3. I don't think the performances we saw from Warren, Harris, and Buttigieg were flashes in the pan. I think each has a ton to offer that will keep them in until the very end.

    For the others, you might be right. I'm keeping an eye on this 538 pre/post debate poll, which I think will be pretty interesting.

  4. #30
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,111

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Tier 1: Warren, Harris, Buttigieg

    Tier 2: Castro, Sanders, Booker

    Everyone else can pack it up.
    This is basically how I feel about it as well. I hope Yang sticks around because I like him even if I don't agree with him.

    At the very least Oprah's spiritual adviser and Eric Swalwell have GOT to go.

  5. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Well Harris didn't wait very long to start moving to the center...

    Kamala Harris Says She Misunderstood Question About Eliminating Private Insurance

  6. #32
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,211

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Well Harris didn't wait very long to start moving to the center...

    Kamala Harris Says She Misunderstood Question About Eliminating Private Insurance
    at this point, i am not too worried about the semantics around individual proposals. i am just happy that there is an adult conversation about health care/health insurance policy taking place.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  7. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    at this point, i am not too worried about the semantics around individual proposals. i am just happy that there is an adult conversation about health care/health insurance policy taking place.
    Agreed. FWIW, I think a hard position on eliminating private insurance is a mistake for the general election.

  8. #34
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,111

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    at this point, i am not too worried about the semantics around individual proposals. i am just happy that there is an adult conversation about health care/health insurance policy taking place.
    No one supporting Medicare for all is likely to get it passed anyway and most of them are smart enough to know that in reality (including Bernie).

    So, while it may differentiate candidates right now the reality of the situation means there probably isn't much difference in what the candidates would actually pass (if they pass anything) as president.

  9. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,211

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    No one supporting Medicare for all is likely to get it passed anyway and most of them are smart enough to know that in reality (including Bernie).

    So, while it may differentiate candidates right now the reality of the situation means there probably isn't much difference in what the candidates would actually pass (if they pass anything) as president.
    yeah, from the bits i watched of the debates there is a push to put a spotlight on the disagreements which is understandable with such a large field. but it does seem like there are actual policies and ideas being talked about which is nice for a change.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  10. #36
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,207

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    IMO no, at least for the top 3. I don't think the performances we saw from Warren, Harris, and Buttigieg were flashes in the pan. I think each has a ton to offer that will keep them in until the very end.

    For the others, you might be right. I'm keeping an eye on this 538 pre/post debate poll, which I think will be pretty interesting.
    I think Mayor Pete ( I just have a hard time with my phone with his name so I go with Mayor Pete), Warren, and Harris are rising, but the obstacle is the # of candidates makes Biden stronger with the most loyal base in the race. Point is while it is funny and somewhat advantageous to hit Biden in last night’s debate, they really need to start knocking out the others right now.

  11. #37
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,211

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think Mayor Pete ( I just have a hard time with my phone with his name so I go with Mayor Pete), Warren, and Harris are rising, but the obstacle is the # of candidates makes Biden stronger with the most loyal base in the race. Point is while it is funny and somewhat advantageous to hit Biden in last night’s debate, they really need to start knocking out the others right now.
    biden's problem is the same one he had the previous two times he ran for president. he is not a good candidate and he can't get out of his own way. i think that will continue to show itself. i've always sort of liked biden, but i just don't see any situation where he makes it through the primaries.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  12. #38
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I think Mayor Pete ( I just have a hard time with my phone with his name so I go with Mayor Pete), Warren, and Harris are rising, but the obstacle is the # of candidates makes Biden stronger with the most loyal base in the race. Point is while it is funny and somewhat advantageous to hit Biden in last night’s debate, they really need to start knocking out the others right now.
    I might be biased because I think Biden is an empty paper bag who's only high in the polls because he sits on Obama's shoulders, but I actually don't think his base is that loyal. I think a lot of people have the impression that he's the "safe" choice to beat Trump and support him exclusively for that reason. IMO, the moment that impression changes, and I think it started to last night, a lot of Biden's support will abandon him.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

    Not sure how everyone feels about Mayor Pete's hot dog position, though.

    Q: Is a hotdog a sandwich?
    Pete: No.
    Q: I mean a hot dog is just an open faced sandwich with a special bread shape.
    Pete: OK but an open-face is not actually a sandwich. It's sandwich-related but it's not a sandwich.
    Q: A hotdog is not even open-face. Like a hoagie or a sub, it is meat sandwiched in bread. It has all the elements of a sandwich, and is therefore a sandwich.
    Pete: True, it is meat partially surrounded by bread. But "sandwiched" implies symmetry. Even a burger, which is only barely a sandwich, is mostly symmetrical. A hot dog is not.
    Q: I disagree that symmetry is fundamental to the definition of a sandwich. A sub is not symmetrical, but everyone can agree that it is a sandwich.
    Pete: It is structurally symmetrical, not morphologically symmetrical. Draw a line through pretty much any part of a sub (from top to bottom of course) and you get bread, meat, bread. The same is not true of a hot dog.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear