DNC Debates, Round 2 - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: DNC Debates, Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I might be biased because I think Biden is an empty paper bag who's only high in the polls because he sits on Obama's shoulders, but I actually don't think his base is that loyal. I think a lot of people have the impression that he's the "safe" choice to beat Trump and support him exclusively for that reason. IMO, the moment that impression changes, and I think it started to last night, a lot of Biden's support will abandon him.
    He is apparently getting a sizable chunk of black voters. Hopefully, as his past is discussed more and more (like last night) they will leave him for Kamala or Warren.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Google trends seems to agree with the Tidefans hot-takes.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Here's a dirty little secret: debates don't mean diddly squat. The absolute worst pounding ever administered in any Presidential debate was Lloyd Bentsen jack hammering Dan Quayle in 1988. (Okay, it was a VP debate, but you know what I mean).

Dukakis lost the election about as badly as Quayle lost the debate. Despite the institutional importance given to them - they don't mean "nothing," but they mean "next to nothing." That's not so true at the lower level (Todd Akin serving as the best example). But they don't matter.

What CAN do you in, however, is what Lee Atwater used to call "a defining moment."

Ed Muskie "crying" on the back of a truck when he raged against William Loeb's attack upon him.
    George H W Bush just sitting there while Reagan said he was paying for the microphone.
    Teddy Kennedy unable to answer "why do you want to be President."
    Bob Dole snorting, "Stop lying about my record" after losing the 1988 NH primary (I believe he was on NBC).

And - obviously - Howard Dean's infamous speech (I thought Dean was a bumpkin joke whom I watched Tim Russert expose as a complete fraud the first time I saw him, and I never could have voted for him - but I also thought he got a bum rap on that one speech, too).

Of course - and here's where they intersect - when the defining moment occurs IN the debate.....that's what everyone fears. Ford saying Poland is not under Soviet domination, Reagan decking Mondale with the line about "youth and inexperience," Dukakis botching the capital punishment question, Bush 41 looking at his watch, and Romney talking about his "binders" of women.

You can lose every debate - but if you win the post-debate spin then it doesn't matter.
    Gore thumped Bush two out of three, but he lost the spin in one of his two wins.
    Clinton thumped Trump all three times - but the most memorable moment of any of those three was Trump's, "And you'd be in jail" comment.

Btw - I don't watch these things (last debate I saw was the Cheney-Edwards one in 2004), but I know enough about the views of everyone here that I can get a good take on what happened just by reading here (which is why I'm here).

So thanks everyone for your input.
    Youíre probably right although in my mind the Kennedy/Nixon debates did help Kennedy win the election. You may know better.

Iíve already made my mind up to vote for whoever stands the best chance of beating Trump so these Democratic debates will help me decide who to support. For example, I suspect if Sanders or Warren weíre to be nominated taxes would be dramatically raised, thus raising payroll taxes and possibly driving me out of business.

There was nothing to hold over Trumpís head in the 2016 election. He was not a Washington politician. Now he is. Hopefully a good debater like Harris or Buttigieg can hold Donald Trumpís feet to the fire. Harris being a former prosecutor should be well equipped for the task. Whether or not it makes a difference in the election, I want to see that happen. Of course, I donít know if I can afford Harris either, but Iím 100% certain Trump has to go.

BamaNation All-American

Debates mean nothing in the General because most people vote party line. Debates do mean a little bit more for primaries but they still aren't as important as some want them to be.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    He is apparently getting a sizable chunk of black voters. Hopefully, as his past is discussed more and more (like last night) they will leave him for Kamala or Warren.
    Watching the guy from the congressional black caucus try and support him last night in the post debate interviews was painful to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    We're going to have insurance for everybody, there was a philosophy in some circles that if you can't pay for it, you don't get it. That's not going to happen with us.They can expect to have great health care. It will be in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better. Source
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. If you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan. Source
    Can you guess which quote branded a president as a habitual liar?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    Watching the guy from the congressional black caucus try and support him last night in the post debate interviews was painful to watch.
    I didn't see it but from what I heard on NPR his defense pretty much came down to "he has a black friend named Obama"

BamaNation All-American

Can any of these folks beat President Bonespurs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post

i would imagine a few of them are more than capable.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa View Post

Good question. There is a long way until November 2020, but based on what I have seen in the last 2 nights I am pretty pessimistic about the Dems chances.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Good question. There is a long way until November 2020, but based on what I have seen in the last 2 nights I am pretty pessimistic about the Dems chances.
    don't be. trump is not some cartoon villain with super powers.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    It took a perfect storm to elect Trump in 2016.
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    I think Gray shares my pessimistic view of the collective IQ of the American voter.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    It took a perfect storm to elect Trump in 2016.
    This is true but I will never again doubt his ability to win an election. The first time taught me my lesson. That night scarred me for life.