DNC Debates, Round 2

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i'm not sure why you would think that, the first primaries are still a long way away. all brooks is doing is whining about not being able to have conservative republicanism without the embarrassment of trump. he did a lot of the same after it became painfully obvious to a lot of folks how stupid w was (post katrina). the focus of the gop has not changed, they are just saying the quiet parts out loud now. and like most good authoritarians, they are also using a lot of bluster to make any opposition to them seem pointless, but that has been going on since gingrich/limbaugh, all that is changed is the ugliness/visciousness of modern american conservatism is being put front and center.
I can see that you don't like him. I don't get that at all and I'm puzzled that you do. All he's saying is that the Democratic party is in danger of being drawn far to the left of the center where the bulk of the electorate is...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not so sure. Trump's base hasn't really expanded since his election. All the Democrats have to do is increase their turnout. I don't think the Bernie-bots are going to have the same poison-pill attitude they had in the last election, and none of the candidate carry the kind of baggage Hillary did.
Obviously, I hope you're right. I do have concerns...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I can see that you don't like him. I don't get that at all and I'm puzzled that you do. All he's saying is that the Democratic party is in danger of being drawn far to the left of the center where the bulk of the electorate is...
i have never liked brooks. he comes across as vapid. he has been saying that about democrats about as long as he has been writing. imho, the whole never-trump, "reasonable conservative" crowd should spend more time focusing on where conservatism went wrong (and brooks was a cheerleader for it for a long time) rather than lecturing democrats on how they should stop what they are doing and listen to them.

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1144616843191169025

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1144616843191169025?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1144616843191169025&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fverysmartbrothas.theroot.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1144616843191169025%26autosize%3D1

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I disagree with the assumption the country is as right as you and others seem to think it is. What has pulled politics right in this country has mostly been achieved by the DNP abandoning left policies after losing the deep south bloc to racism. This disengaged existing voter and never engaged potential new voters. You add in some gerrymandering and poll tax/intelligence test redux...and you end up in a country where a quarter to a third of the country is the tail wagging the dog. You can see this consistently reveal itself in surveys that poll consistent voter v. broad population surveys on political agendas. People still engaged in this process are more conservative.

Granted, I understand where you're coming from in terms of electoralism. Electoralism is ultimately "going where the puck is" and in some games that may work. But my point is much the same as my stance on diet coke: if I'm going to have something that is bad for me as a treat, why would I decide to have a knock-off instead of the real thing? You're never going to pick off these David Brooks types. They voted for Trump in 2016. Hell, nearly half the voters in 2018 voted for a known creep pedophile in Alabama.

You and I have butted heads on this several times and I think it is because I'm arguing "go where the puck will be" even if it means losing in 2020. The existing electorate's conservative voters will hold their noses and vote their modern small holdings/landed gentry self-interest. If the DNP goes where the puck is yet again they risk losing 2020 and maybe America altogether. Maybe the fight for the soul of this country is already over due to the negligence of the DNP in the Clintonite era. The DNP cannot win in 2020 by offering another Clintonite/Blairite centrist. They might not be able to win with a more mainstream left candidate either but I'm concerned that a centrist candidate or another over-sold under-delivered centrist presidency from the DNP will kill the party altogether.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I disagree with the assumption the country is as right as you and others seem to think it is. What has pulled politics right in this country has mostly been achieved by the DNP abandoning left policies after losing the deep south bloc to racism. This disengaged existing voter and never engaged potential new voters. You add in some gerrymandering and poll tax/intelligence test redux...and you end up in a country where a quarter to a third of the country is the tail wagging the dog. You can see this consistently reveal itself in surveys that poll consistent voter v. broad population surveys on political agendas. People still engaged in this process are more conservative.

Granted, I understand where you're coming from in terms of electoralism. Electoralism is ultimately "going where the puck is" and in some games that may work. But my point is much the same as my stance on diet coke: if I'm going to have something that is bad for me as a treat, why would I decide to have a knock-off instead of the real thing? You're never going to pick off these David Brooks types. They voted for Trump in 2016. Hell, nearly half the voters in 2018 voted for a known creep pedophile in Alabama.

You and I have butted heads on this several times and I think it is because I'm arguing "go where the puck will be" even if it means losing in 2020. The existing electorate's conservative voters will hold their noses and vote their modern small holdings/landed gentry self-interest. If the DNP goes where the puck is yet again they risk losing 2020 and maybe America altogether. Maybe the fight for the soul of this country is already over due to the negligence of the DNP in the Clintonite era. The DNP cannot win in 2020 by offering another Clintonite/Blairite centrist. They might not be able to win with a more mainstream left candidate either but I'm concerned that a centrist candidate or another over-sold under-delivered centrist presidency from the DNP will kill the party altogether.
i don't think you can lay that solely at the feet of the dnp. the rise of am talk radio and fox news moved the overton window way to the right during the 90s-00s. a lot of what you have seen by the dnp is/was being done in an attempt to stay relevant/competitive in our political system.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There is a much more lively fight between left and right voices on the internet. Hell, I'd argue the quality is on the left's side. Most of the right's voices on the internet are melvins, cranks, or failed comics. Its just a ton cheaper to get into internet punditry/commentary which is a boon for the left because they don't need some rich conservative to prop them up to get on cable television or radio.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
i don't think you can lay that solely at the feet of the dnp. the rise of am talk radio and fox news moved the overton window way to the right during the 90s-00s. a lot of what you have seen by the dnp is/was being done in an attempt to stay relevant/competitive in our political system.
The move right happened with Reagan, not Daddy Bush. The Cold War was giving Americans two choices... 1) A more social reform with a conservative interior for an administration or 2) A deep conservative administration. Reagan brought neo liberalism to the fold and pretty much ended the gap between Republicans and Democrats because 1) The Republicans now wanted to be the party of Reagan and 2) the Democrats didn't want to get smoked like Carter did for standing up for well meaning principles. Basically the Nixon-Kennedy divide was done. Point is there isn't that much different between a candidate like Reagan and the Clintons.

If you are strictly saying that Gingrich winning the House was the start of the shift right and not Reagan destroying the old Democratic Party then yes the rise of radio was the start of it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yet you still believe a "progressive" candidate will win while acknowledging the fact that the majority of the voting electorate is conservative.... I guess Obama and Bill Clinton winning by large numbers points that centrists are not electable.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We get fascists in this political reality because of the failure of centrist liberalism. Let’s continue down the path of diffident liberalism and see what this country becomes. I reckon by the pulse I’m reading here we will soon find out.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Yet you still believe a "progressive" candidate will win while acknowledging the fact that the majority of the voting electorate is conservative.... I guess Obama and Bill Clinton winning by large numbers points that centrists are not electable.
Clinton and Obama got elected because they were charismatic enough to build enough of a coalition out of the multiple single-issue group rickshaw that is the DNP. Trump got elected because half of the country thought HRC was a demon, a quarter thought she screwed Bernie out of the nomination, and the rest thought she was good enough to vote for since Obama couldn’t run again.

Policy specificity is going to hurt more candidates on the Democratic side far more than anything Trump can do primarily because out of the lot of them, only Harris seems willing to use the 15 second attention span of the American media and public to her advantage. I think the recent debate was her third time saying she wanted to get rid of private insurance, only to walk it back. The remaining candidates besides “moon flower love child” all have some semblance of attempting to stay on message. Well except for Biden, but it’s not his fault senility appears to be catching up to him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The fact 16 years between Clinton and Obama of compromising bipartisanship led to a progressively worse president and more right leaning GOP each time they reached term limit.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The fact 16 years between Clinton and Obama of compromising bipartisanship led to a progressively worse president and more right leaning GOP each time they reached term limit.

Still doesn't explain how fascism is the new American reality

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The move right happened with Reagan, not Daddy Bush. The Cold War was giving Americans two choices... 1) A more social reform with a conservative interior for an administration or 2) A deep conservative administration. Reagan brought neo liberalism to the fold and pretty much ended the gap between Republicans and Democrats because 1) The Republicans now wanted to be the party of Reagan and 2) the Democrats didn't want to get smoked like Carter did for standing up for well meaning principles. Basically the Nixon-Kennedy divide was done. Point is there isn't that much different between a candidate like Reagan and the Clintons.

If you are strictly saying that Gingrich winning the House was the start of the shift right and not Reagan destroying the old Democratic Party then yes the rise of radio was the start of it.
you are correct. i am referring more to the stark framing of conservatism/gop=good liberal=bad that really took off with gingrich and talk radio.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
TBH, she's further left than I prefer; however, she really sweats the details, and that's the kind of president we're gonna need to repair what Trump hath wrought.
same here, but it doesn't really bother me. as we saw with obama, there's only so much you can do with a majority, even with a super majority. i want someone sane, rational and capable in the position.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.