Tua Tagovailoa misses Manning Passing Academy with minor injury

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Last year we could run at will on first and second down in conventional offense. Struggled with 3rd/4th and short situational running. This is why we had to dust off the wildcat offense playbook late in the season. Had to work numbers to get production in short yardage. You get an offense that can consistently get the tough yard then all the sudden we just pound 75% or more of our opponents and save the passing attack for the big dogs.

This is effectively what Clemson did last year. I truly didn’t think by what I saw before the playoffs that Lawrence could bomb ND and Alabama like he did.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This maybe just more reason to believe we will see a more run oriented offense this season with Sark. Shorten the game, pull back on the fast paced "run as many plays as we can" mentality and go back to more of a grind it out type approach.
Yep... I'm a Dinosaur... BUT...
Three yards and a cloud of dust controls the game.
IF

Your ahead and you have a monster Defense.

THING IS...
We can do both. We have the Backs with another gear...
We have the guts who can plow the road for them.
We have the QB who can thread the needle with passes.
AND...
We have the Receivers who can go up and make the catches.

Did I mention I hope our coaches know when to run which play.

ADVICE TO TUA: You don't have to win the game by yourself,
Let some of our other great players carry the load occasionally.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yep... I'm a Dinosaur... BUT...
Three yards and a cloud of dust controls the game.
IF

Your ahead and you have a monster Defense.

THING IS...
We can do both. We have the Backs with another gear...
We have the guts who can plow the road for them.
We have the QB who can thread the needle with passes.
AND...
We have the Receivers who can go up and make the catches.

Did I mention I hope our coaches know when to run which play.

ADVICE TO TUA: You don't have to win the game by yourself,
Let some of our other great players carry the load occasionally.
I'm all for grinding the clock out/ground & pound type approach. But it better result into touchdowns and not fg's more times than not, and dang sure better not turn up many non scoring possessions. I hope to find a healthy balance where we're not to either extreme. We've struggled to find that balance in the past few years.

tidenative

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2016
I always marveled at Hurts' ability to do just that. He just never took that massive hit - he'd glide OOB just in time, or shift so it was a glancing blow at worst.
Hurts is a thicker fella than Tua. I’ve been thinking Tua is a little on the injury prone side.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
To my knowledge, he's had a knee injury due to game action and this tweaked hamstring. You can tweak a hamstring going up and down steps to classes or streching in bed the wrong way. This does not necesarilly make him injury prone. If it were another player on our roster (and there likely are more that have little tweaks and such) it wouldn't be news.
Like everyone else I certainly want him in good shape and hope he learns more how to slide/go out of bounds/throw the ball away and trust his playmakers around him and not try to take the whole game on his shoulders.
Like Old Man Dan, if we have a stout defense like we've historically been accustomed to we can lean on our running game and still have a prolific passing game. We also need an o-line who has a very nasty disposition and are capable of opening up holes in the run game as well as protect Tua in the passing game.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
To my knowledge, he's had a knee injury due to game action and this tweaked hamstring. You can tweak a hamstring going up and down steps to classes or streching in bed the wrong way. This does not necesarilly make him injury prone. If it were another player on our roster (and there likely are more that have little tweaks and such) it wouldn't be news.
Like everyone else I certainly want him in good shape and hope he learns more how to slide/go out of bounds/throw the ball away and trust his playmakers around him and not try to take the whole game on his shoulders.
Like Old Man Dan, if we have a stout defense like we've historically been accustomed to we can lean on our running game and still have a prolific passing game. We also need an o-line who has a very nasty disposition and are capable of opening up holes in the run game as well as protect Tua in the passing game.
Also missed spring practice in 2018 due to a thumb injury, and don’t forget the ankle surgery he had before the playoffs. Let’s not sugarcoat it, Tua is injury prone.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm not worried about any of this.

I think Tua's health/injury issues have been more of a bad luck streak than him just being fragile.

Correct me if I'm missing anything but....

He injured his hand in the Spring of 2018 from diving for a loose ball. That was just a bad decision in a practice/scrimmage.

He injured his knee against Arkansas and had it scoped, put on brace, and kept playing. Could happen to anyone and he showed a lot of toughness to keep playing at a very high level.

He suffered a High Ankle sprain against UGA, had surgery, and was back 2 weeks later for Oklahoma.

Jalen also suffered a High Ankle sprain and it kept him sidelined for 25 days. He's not injury prone or fragile is he?

For all the nicks and dings the only playing time Tua missed specifically because of an injury was the 4th qtr against UGA.

He played through anything he had going on and STILL shattered UA passing records and set the NCAA record for QBR.

It's understandable to worry because we don't want him to miss any time but it's not like he's made out of glass. It's just he's under a microscope more than any other player on the team.

We've had numerous star players suffer injury bad luck before and I don't remember them being negatively labeled as much as Tua has been..... especially when again..... through everything... he only missed the final qtr of the SECCG.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Last year we could run at will on first and second down in conventional offense. Struggled with 3rd/4th and short situational running. This is why we had to dust off the wildcat offense playbook late in the season. Had to work numbers to get production in short yardage. You get an offense that can consistently get the tough yard then all the sudden we just pound 75% or more of our opponents and save the passing attack for the big dogs.

This is effectively what Clemson did last year. I truly didn’t think by what I saw before the playoffs that Lawrence could bomb ND and Alabama like he did.
Granted, I've done about everything possible to forget most of the championship game. So I might be "misremembering" (shout out to Roger Clemens). But if I remember correctly included in Lawrence's "bombing" of us was several busted coverages which created wide open receiver's running down the field that all he had to do was get it in the zip code. Didn't one or two of them go for 70 yards? Then you had the true freshman WR from Alabama (the state of Alabama) who the football gods decided to have favor on that night to make several absolutely ridiculous sideline catches that extended drives. That game in all facets snowballed on us very quickly in the second half. But you could see the signs of it coming by the end of the first.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Granted, I've done about everything possible to forget most of the championship game. So I might be "misremembering" (shout out to Roger Clemens). But if I remember correctly included in Lawrence's "bombing" of us was several busted coverages which created wide open receiver's running down the field that all he had to do was get it in the zip code. Didn't one or two of them go for 70 yards? Then you had the true freshman WR from Alabama (the state of Alabama) who the football gods decided to have favor on that night to make several absolutely ridiculous sideline catches that extended drives. That game in all facets snowballed on us very quickly in the second half. But you could see the signs of it coming by the end of the first.
Yes, you are remembering correctly. Tua made two bad throws and one lead directly to a TD (the early pick 6) and then other could have easily cost us 7 because we were driving on them. Yes, TR and Ross connected several times on receptions that were "special." Most days those fall incomplete but they had some special mojo going on that game. And yes, they had one gifted TD when our DB went down with an injury. 21 points right there.

We were still in this game in the second half IF WE COULD HAVE CONVERTED SOME OF THE DRIVES WE HAD INTO POINTS. But we couldn't do it. In hindsight, we just didn't stay with running the football and if we would have it would have paid huge dividends late in the game. We were gashing them the whole game with the run!

Bottom line, you look at the scoreboard and it's a beatdown, but you watch the game unfold and you see a different story of two very evenly matched teams and one made the dynamic, scoring plays and the other didn't.

Imdone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2019
Yes, you are remembering correctly. Tua made two bad throws and one lead directly to a TD (the early pick 6) and then other could have easily cost us 7 because we were driving on them. Yes, TR and Ross connected several times on receptions that were "special." Most days those fall incomplete but they had some special mojo going on that game. And yes, they had one gifted TD when our DB went down with an injury. 21 points right there.

We were still in this game in the second half IF WE COULD HAVE CONVERTED SOME OF THE DRIVES WE HAD INTO POINTS. But we couldn't do it. In hindsight, we just didn't stay with running the football and if we would have it would have paid huge dividends late in the game. We were gashing them the whole game with the run!

Bottom line, you look at the scoreboard and it's a beatdown, but you watch the game unfold and you see a different story of two very evenly matched teams and one made the dynamic, scoring plays and the other didn't.
I had a feeling that the game was over when Najee's "touchdown" was overturned and we had first and goal from the six inch line. Then we had a false start on first down and ended up kicking a field goal. That mental mistake sort of gave Clemson the confidence they needed to get over their jitters and to win the game. We didn't make those sort of mistakes all year until it counted most. Hopefully we'll come back!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm not saying Tua is injury prone but I am saying that I have a gut feeling that our season may hinge on how good Mac Jones really is.
I think you have nailed it. I would also say that if the defense doesn't improve dramatically we might miss the NC Playoff for the first time.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I'm not worried about any of this.

I think Tua's health/injury issues have been more of a bad luck streak than him just being fragile.

Correct me if I'm missing anything but....

He injured his hand in the Spring of 2018 from diving for a loose ball. That was just a bad decision in a practice/scrimmage.

He injured his knee against Arkansas and had it scoped, put on brace, and kept playing. Could happen to anyone and he showed a lot of toughness to keep playing at a very high level.

He suffered a High Ankle sprain against UGA, had surgery, and was back 2 weeks later for Oklahoma.

Jalen also suffered a High Ankle sprain and it kept him sidelined for 25 days. He's not injury prone or fragile is he?

For all the nicks and dings the only playing time Tua missed specifically because of an injury was the 4th qtr against UGA.

He played through anything he had going on and STILL shattered UA passing records and set the NCAA record for QBR.

It's understandable to worry because we don't want him to miss any time but it's not like he's made out of glass. It's just he's under a microscope more than any other player on the team.

We've had numerous star players suffer injury bad luck before and I don't remember them being negatively labeled as much as Tua has been..... especially when again..... through everything... he only missed the final qtr of the SECCG.
I agree with most all of your post. Decision making is a key for Tua to have an equally successful year this season. I also hope that he can handle the "under the microscope" expectations without letting that mess with his decision making.

By the way, has anyone seen him practicing since the injury that prompted this thread? Just curious if he is back to normal or restricted in activity at this point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.