Tua Tagovailoa misses Manning Passing Academy with minor injury

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Our boys don't drink beer and we don't win Natty's ( I don't even like typing that word...)...We win Championships!!!
I suspect you are correct sir. I am counting on an improved defense and hope springs eternal for the new season and another natty!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Whew, the negativity is pretty thick here. Name one program/fanbase that wouldn't change places with us, if they were completely honest? It's all good!!!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I wouldn't be shocked to see Tauila getting spilt reps with Mac Jones this season....
I don't think that would be a bad thing either. Hopefully Tua can stay healthy, but we also need someone with a little more experience coming back than just handing the ball off when the game gets out of hand.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think that would be a bad thing either. Hopefully Tua can stay healthy, but we also need someone with a little more experience coming back than just handing the ball off when the game gets out of hand.
What's funny is that I got a feeling that Saban kinda learned his lesson on that.. cuz when Jones was in the game when it mattered, Whew... that boy struggled. So I think Saban is gonna let those guys hopefully throw some balls...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What's funny is that I got a feeling that Saban kinda learned his lesson on that.. cuz when Jones was in the game when it mattered, Whew... that boy struggled. So I think Saban is gonna let those guys hopefully throw some balls...
I'll believe it when I see it.

One of the VERY few criticisms I have of Saban is that he seems to worry more about 'humiliating' the other team than developing the backup offensive skill players (RBs aside).

I hope you're correct, but I'll believe it when I see it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When did he play when the game mattered?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'll believe it when I see it.

One of the VERY few criticisms I have of Saban is that he seems to worry more about 'humiliating' the other team than developing the backup offensive skill players (RBs aside).

I hope you're correct, but I'll believe it when I see it.
We were fortunate to have Hurts stepping in when Tua got hurt. If Hurts got hurt, Mac had little experience on the field.

This year, it is critical we develop Lia and Paul because next year, It is not a lock that Mac will get the starting job.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Our boys don't drink beer and we don't win Natty's ( I don't even like typing that word...)...We win Championships!!!
Sorry for the "bad word". I like championships better myself. I thought I was talking to a lot of millenials on here so they might not understand Championship.....only participation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What we don't know is where Mac Jones is in terms of preparedness and what his ceiling is.

I know we don't operate according to fairness in football at Alabama but if Taulia is not far behind Mac Jones in preparedeness I kinda hope CNS tries to develop him because I have a feeling his ceiling is higher than MJ in the long run and he has youth on his side to boot.

This is not just about who plays if Tua get's hurt, but who'll have the inside track to our next starter in 2020. I think the tale-tale sign will be if Taulia runs the scout team next fall and we start hearing he's "lighting up" our first team defense then it's probable Taulia might be the heir apparent.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
mattered the most for Mac... His development... not the game necessary.
That's not the same as what you said, though.

We can go wit the coach speak of "play your best no matter the situation," but it's not like Mac was out there with the 1's (or even the 2's) with the game in jeopardy. I suspect he would be a little different in that circumstance.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We can go wit the coach speak of "play your best no matter the situation," but it's not like Mac was out there with the 1's (or even the 2's) with the game in jeopardy. I suspect he would be a little different in that circumstance.
We don't really know for sure. And I'm not sure we really want to find out because that would probably mean Tua's gone down with a injury.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mac (or whoever is the #2QB), absolutely has to get some meaningful playing time, running the whole offense the way it's designed to be run -- deep balls, short releases, RPOs....everything. It can't be garbage time, handing off against a demoralized defense just to chew clock.

We don't know whether Tua will miss time due to injury.

We do know:

1. The chances of Tua being on campus for the 2020 season are roughly zero.

2. Hurts is gone, so we no longer have a proven backup.

3. Tua's been hurt a lot in a relatively short period of time, which would indicate that there's a good chance we'll need a capable backup at some point during the season.

Even if Tua makes it through the season unscathed (and his history would say that's unlikely), we don't need to have a QB lining up for his first action against USCw on 9/5/2020.

Last edited:

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
The big question is whether he'll be different better or different not really better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If I'm guessing, here's what I think will happen.

We are going to breeze thru the first couple months of the schedule with Tua playing about 2/3 of each game. That means there's lots of PT availabe for the guys who show the most promise.

If Tua were to get injured and miss PT in the first few games I imagine we'd see MJ off the bench first simply because of knowledge.

But I agree with 4Q that getting MJ and Taulia and Paul Tyson prepared has got to be part of the plan when we are in the first couple months of the schedule. By the time we get to Nov. 1, I'm hoping a solid #2 has emerged.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If I'm guessing, here's what I think will happen.

We are going to breeze thru the first couple months of the schedule with Tua playing about 2/3 of each game. That means there's lots of PT availabe for the guys who show the most promise.

If Tua were to get injured and miss PT in the first few games I imagine we'd see MJ off the bench first simply because of knowledge.

But I agree with 4Q that getting MJ and Taulia and Paul Tyson prepared has got to be part of the plan when we are in the first couple months of the schedule. By the time we get to Nov. 1, I'm hoping a solid #2 has emerged.
I think we will see the #2 by then...………...I just want them all developed as much as possible

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
He subjects himself to a lot of hits by trying to extend plays.....

I wish he would learn to use that skill less often -- sometimes just run out of bounds.....or throw it away. Save your body....
This. My one knock on Tua this last year was that he sometimes tried too hard to make a play with his arm or his feet when the smarter move would have been to throw the ball away. He and his receivers were good enough that that approach paid off a lot most of last year, but it hurt him against better competition vs. Georgia and Clemson (both physically and in passing performance). Paradoxically, I think it will be better for Tua and the team if his passing percentage is in the mid-60s this year instead of the 70s due to him throwing more balls into the stands.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.