Having a house built

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My wife and I gutted a house and renovated. We never had an argument. When it came time to choose colors, wall paper, or fixtures She made all the decisions. The way I view a house, it belongs to her and I just live there.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I lived in a sub division on a golf course a few years and had my own golf cart. One weekend my wife was out of town and a friend of mine, who also lived on the golf course, saw me putting on the green behind his house. It was about dusk and he motioned me to come over and have a drink. Turns out his wife was also out of town, so we proceeded to get in the bottle heavily. Not sure what time it was, but I managed to stagger to my golf cart and start down his steep driveway to the street. Well it was dark and the cart starting picking up speed. I made a tire screeching turn on the street and sped toward my house which was about 3-4 houses down. As I got close to my drive way I saw a police car pulled over on the side of the street. I tried to brake but lost control and headed across my front yard to the garage in back. I managed to pull in the garage, close the door and waited for the officer to come knock on my door. His car was still where it was, but nothing ever happened. I lived in fear of getting a DUI on my golf cart.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My wife and I gutted a house and renovated. We never had an argument. When it came time to choose colors, wall paper, or fixtures She made all the decisions. The way I view a house, it belongs to her and I just live there.
We built our house, but we didn't have that much to select. The builder has a limited selection they allow. They don't even bother with paint options.

If we had unlimited options, there's no telling how bad it would have been.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There's a planned community in the Montgomery area that requires golf carts with the intent of limiting car travel within the neighborhood.

When we lived in Mississippi, several of my friends and I had golf carts and/or ATVs. That's how we got to each other's houses since we didn't live right down the street.
peachtree city in georgia has a ton of golf carts with a citywide infrastructure of cart paths. i know of a few in-town neighborhoods in atlanta where a lot of folks are using them for intra-neighborhood travel. not sure of the legalities within the city.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
peachtree city in georgia has a ton of golf carts with a citywide infrastructure of cart paths. i know of a few in-town neighborhoods in atlanta where a lot of folks are using them for intra-neighborhood travel. not sure of the legalities within the city.
30A is a perfect example of them being great. Will see people traveling on them rather than driving through a crowded community. If the second row flips down to be flat, they're great for grocery shopping.

In no way would I expect it to become a popular mode of transportation for the majority of people, but I do see how they are beneficial in the right circumstances.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
They're illegal for street use here in HSV and they enforce it...
To be fair, there's a difference between a golf cart and a low speed vehicle.

...Though low speed vehicles are usually only legal on streets with a speed limit of 35 or lower and the de facto speed limit in Alabama is 45, so...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I designed in the downstairs MIL suite also and she promptly died. I had a lot of fun creating the house but not so much living there. It coincided with the end of my first marriage, so my feelings about it are tied up with that. After that experience, I decided that I would find something and modify it to fit. Creating a new house is probably something everyone who can afford it should do once. I've worked in construction and enjoyed that part of it. I was heavy into running at the time and I used to design trim and interior in my head while I was training...
Can you come design one for me?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To be fair, there's a difference between a golf cart and a low speed vehicle.

...Though low speed vehicles are usually only legal on streets with a speed limit of 35 or lower and the de facto speed limit in Alabama is 45, so...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
That's interesting. The de facto speed limit on city streets here, by ordinance, is 25 mph, unless it's marked higher. I haven't looked at it in years but, IIRC, the ordinance here doesn't mention golf carts at all. It specifies that the vehicle has to be "street legal," which means that it has to have all the accoutrements of an automobile - headlights, brakes, seat belts, windshield wipers, etc. IOW, it doesn't matter if you call it a "golf cart" or a "low speed vehicle." If it looks and quacks like a duck...

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I live in a community in Florida (not the Villages) where golf carts are used as primary vehicles. We can drive to Publix, the Post office, several restaurants, and will soon be able to drive to Wal Mart grocery. Most of these places have golf cart parking. By the way, only electric carts are permitted if you use the property facilities (golf courses, etc.).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I live in a community in Florida (not the Villages) where golf carts are used as primary vehicles. We can drive to Publix, the Post office, several restaurants, and will soon be able to drive to Wal Mart grocery. Most of these places have golf cart parking. By the way, only electric carts are permitted if you use the property facilities (golf courses, etc.).
That's the ideal environment for carts, of course. The reason for the ordinance here is the mixture of slow, small vehicles with autos. Of course, you could say the same for bikes...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My wife and I completed our two-day visit at the design center to pick out options a couple of weeks ago, and we just met with the construction manager yesterday. They will break ground in about a month and deliver the house next March/April. We will still have some customizing to do on our own (upgraded shelving and racks in the bedroom closets; built-in bookcases in the study; expanded lanai, water features, and gardens in the back and side yards, etc.). The community has all sorts of amenities (many pools, soccer fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball, dog parks, river access, walking trails through a nature preserve, a town center with several restaurants, and even a couple of water parks). My wife and I have been reserved in non-investment spending since we've been married. Now is the time to enjoy what has been built, starting with this house. It's going to an anxious nine months or so waiting for the dream house to be built, but it will be fun filling it up with new furniture and assorted toys after that. (The garage is built for two cars and a golf cart. That's how people cruise around the community and to the Publix/restaurants/water parks/the monthly farmer's market .... on golf carts! Too funny!)

Bodhi:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Thanks, Bazza. We are loving the low stress, lower cost of living life here. Most mornings I do a run along the beach before going to work. Not a bad way to get the day started. Sure, beats my 90-minute commute each way that I had previously. Working on selling the last investment property in Virginia and making a clean break.

I spoke with my "concierge" earlier, as I had a random question related to the house. The property backs up to a pretty good sized pond, so I asked her about alligators, as I assumed it would only be a matter of time before one sets up residence. (I've already seen a couple of gators in other ponds at the community and one in the pond next to the Chick-fil-a down the street from where I currently live.) They have a plan for that: If one is longer than four feet they will remove it. Less than four feet? I guess it's not yet worth the trouble.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Bodhi-

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Tell your Mom I said hi. :smile:
Thanks, Bazza. I have passed along your greetings. She has two new pups that were severely abused that she is trying to get doctored up. She's probably the primary customer for a couple of vets in the area. These new ones, like many of the dogs she's cared for, probably will have abbreviated life spans. But, their remaining time will be comfortable, and they will have plenty of attention. Far too many pet owners have no business taking on such responsibility. Sigh.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks, Bazza. I have passed along your greetings. She has two new pups that were severely abused that she is trying to get doctored up. She's probably the primary customer for a couple of vets in the area. These new ones, like many of the dogs she's cared for, probably will have abbreviated life spans. But, their remaining time will be comfortable, and they will have plenty of attention. Far too many pet owners have no business taking on such responsibility. Sigh.
Your Mom is an angel, Bodhi.

Couldn't agree with your last comment more. I see stuff on a daily basis that makes me SMH.

All the best, my friend....

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
The slab was poured a couple of weeks ago and the framing started yesterday. Lost several days thanks to Dorian, but no big deal. About eight homes at/near the cul-de-sac are in progress. I've met some of my future neighbors, and all seem nice. I haven't met my immediate next door neighbors yet, but apparently one of them is a chef. My strategy is to be dubious about her kitchen skills and require her prove it. I'm going to see how many gourmet meals I can bogart before she catches on.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Glad to hear things are moving forward, Bodhi.

I have two homes being built behind me.

One already has block going up and the other they are going to start on a retaining wall early next week. I met with the builder today to discuss how they will maintain the integrity of the dune ridge my house sits on.

Going to be a noisy 12 months around here!

I used to get homemade meals/food given to me all the time until my friend and his wife (the chef in the family) moved a couple blocks further away. Then the neighbor lady right next door who used to give me food as well just stopped doing it. I think I must have annoyed her by doing something, as odd as that sounds. Good luck to you while it lasts! :D

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Bazza. We are loving the low stress, lower cost of living life here. Most mornings I do a run along the beach before going to work. Not a bad way to get the day started. Sure, beats my 90-minute commute each way that I had previously. Working on selling the last investment property in Virginia and making a clean break.

I spoke with my "concierge" earlier, as I had a random question related to the house. The property backs up to a pretty good sized pond, so I asked her about alligators, as I assumed it would only be a matter of time before one sets up residence. (I've already seen a couple of gators in other ponds at the community and one in the pond next to the Chick-fil-a down the street from where I currently live.) They have a plan for that: If one is longer than four feet they will remove it. Less than four feet? I guess it's not yet worth the trouble.
Mosquitoes?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.