Having a house built - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Having a house built

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I designed in the downstairs MIL suite also and she promptly died. I had a lot of fun creating the house but not so much living there. It coincided with the end of my first marriage, so my feelings about it are tied up with that. After that experience, I decided that I would find something and modify it to fit. Creating a new house is probably something everyone who can afford it should do once. I've worked in construction and enjoyed that part of it. I was heavy into running at the time and I used to design trim and interior in my head while I was training...
    Can you come design one for me?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    To be fair, there's a difference between a golf cart and a low speed vehicle.

...Though low speed vehicles are usually only legal on streets with a speed limit of 35 or lower and the de facto speed limit in Alabama is 45, so...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's interesting. The de facto speed limit on city streets here, by ordinance, is 25 mph, unless it's marked higher. I haven't looked at it in years but, IIRC, the ordinance here doesn't mention golf carts at all. It specifies that the vehicle has to be "street legal," which means that it has to have all the accoutrements of an automobile - headlights, brakes, seat belts, windshield wipers, etc. IOW, it doesn't matter if you call it a "golf cart" or a "low speed vehicle." If it looks and quacks like a duck...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I live in a community in Florida (not the Villages) where golf carts are used as primary vehicles. We can drive to Publix, the Post office, several restaurants, and will soon be able to drive to Wal Mart grocery. Most of these places have golf cart parking. By the way, only electric carts are permitted if you use the property facilities (golf courses, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    I live in a community in Florida (not the Villages) where golf carts are used as primary vehicles. We can drive to Publix, the Post office, several restaurants, and will soon be able to drive to Wal Mart grocery. Most of these places have golf cart parking. By the way, only electric carts are permitted if you use the property facilities (golf courses, etc.).
    That's the ideal environment for carts, of course. The reason for the ordinance here is the mixture of slow, small vehicles with autos. Of course, you could say the same for bikes...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My wife and I completed our two-day visit at the design center to pick out options a couple of weeks ago, and we just met with the construction manager yesterday. They will break ground in about a month and deliver the house next March/April. We will still have some customizing to do on our own (upgraded shelving and racks in the bedroom closets; built-in bookcases in the study; expanded lanai, water features, and gardens in the back and side yards, etc.). The community has all sorts of amenities (many pools, soccer fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball, dog parks, river access, walking trails through a nature preserve, a town center with several restaurants, and even a couple of water parks). My wife and I have been reserved in non-investment spending since we've been married. Now is the time to enjoy what has been built, starting with this house. It's going to an anxious nine months or so waiting for the dream house to be built, but it will be fun filling it up with new furniture and assorted toys after that. (The garage is built for two cars and a golf cart. That's how people cruise around the community and to the Publix/restaurants/water parks/the monthly farmer's market .... on golf carts! Too funny!)

Bodhi:

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Bodhi:

Thanks, Bazza. We are loving the low stress, lower cost of living life here. Most mornings I do a run along the beach before going to work. Not a bad way to get the day started. Sure, beats my 90-minute commute each way that I had previously. Working on selling the last investment property in Virginia and making a clean break.

I spoke with my "concierge" earlier, as I had a random question related to the house. The property backs up to a pretty good sized pond, so I asked her about alligators, as I assumed it would only be a matter of time before one sets up residence. (I've already seen a couple of gators in other ponds at the community and one in the pond next to the Chick-fil-a down the street from where I currently live.) They have a plan for that: If one is longer than four feet they will remove it. Less than four feet? I guess it's not yet worth the trouble.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Look up Singleton's Seafood Shack. It looks like it's about 30 minutes north of you. It's a dive.

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker View Post
    Look up Singleton's Seafood Shack. It looks like it's about 30 minutes north of you. It's a dive.
    Thanks. Always on the lookout for local eateries. I'll add it to the list.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Bodhi-

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Tell your Mom I said hi.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Bodhi-

Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Tell your Mom I said hi.
    Thanks, Bazza. I have passed along your greetings. She has two new pups that were severely abused that she is trying to get doctored up. She's probably the primary customer for a couple of vets in the area. These new ones, like many of the dogs she's cared for, probably will have abbreviated life spans. But, their remaining time will be comfortable, and they will have plenty of attention. Far too many pet owners have no business taking on such responsibility. Sigh.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Thanks, Bazza. I have passed along your greetings. She has two new pups that were severely abused that she is trying to get doctored up. She's probably the primary customer for a couple of vets in the area. These new ones, like many of the dogs she's cared for, probably will have abbreviated life spans. But, their remaining time will be comfortable, and they will have plenty of attention. Far too many pet owners have no business taking on such responsibility. Sigh.
    Your Mom is an angel, Bodhi.

Couldn't agree with your last comment more. I see stuff on a daily basis that makes me SMH.

All the best, my friend....
    "Old dog - new tricks"