Having a house built - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Re: Having a house built

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Thanks, Bazza. We are loving the low stress, lower cost of living life here. Most mornings I do a run along the beach before going to work. Not a bad way to get the day started. Sure, beats my 90-minute commute each way that I had previously. Working on selling the last investment property in Virginia and making a clean break.

I spoke with my "concierge" earlier, as I had a random question related to the house. The property backs up to a pretty good sized pond, so I asked her about alligators, as I assumed it would only be a matter of time before one sets up residence. (I've already seen a couple of gators in other ponds at the community and one in the pond next to the Chick-fil-a down the street from where I currently live.) They have a plan for that: If one is longer than four feet they will remove it. Less than four feet? I guess it's not yet worth the trouble.
    Mosquitoes?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Mosquitoes?
    I asked about this and algae blooms that often occur in stagnant ponds. Shouldn't be an issue. This pond, like all the others I've seen in the community, will have fountains to keep the water circulating. It will also be stocked with fish to feed on any larvae. But, we also back up to a nature preserve, so there's no escaping some insect encounters. It's almost universal that the lanais are fully screened in, and that's one of the first add-ons we'll do. Beyond that, when my wife ventures away from cover to tend to the garden, she's on her own.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Well, just closed on the sale of our last house (investment property) in Virginia. We put the house on the market a few weeks ago. Had an open house on a Saturday and got seven offers - two above list price - by the following Monday. I expect that will be my last visit to the DC area for quite some time.

I'm not sure how much you guys enjoy dealing with an aggressive HOA, but I just love it! One of the requirements of the sale was to transfer HOA documentation to the new owner. At a cost of $325! After I heard what the charge would be, I told the HOA chieftain that I understand that there is a cost for 40 sheets of paper and having someone push the "print" button, but where does the other $324 go?

Then last week I got notified that we were behind on the HOA dues and that the fence in the backyard was non-compliant. We would have to remedy both (paying a fee for the fence would be acceptable) before selling the house. I informed the guy that we were paid up on our dues and asked why he didn't have his records updated? I also informed him that we've owned the house for about 14 years, and we had never been informed that the fence was non-compliant. More importantly, the fence is not ours; it belongs to our neighbor. Funny how the HOA gestapo would miss badly on these two issues. I told the guy to pound sand.

After talking to some of our friends/neighbors, they confirmed my suspicion: this is SOP for the HOA. They make up some transgressions knowing that the sellers will often stroke a check to make an issue go away so they can get the house sold. One wonders, if the HOA collects dues to cover their enumerated services, why do they need to extort more money from their exiting citizens? What are the extra denarii for? Even the smallest, most quasi of governmental entities suck.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

Congrats on the good results selling your home in Virginia, Bodhi.

The end of an era......and the beginning of another!

Appreciate also the remarks about your H.O.A. Proud you for knowing your stuff and giving it to 'em.
    "Old dog - new tricks"