Having a house built

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Mosquitoes?
I asked about this and algae blooms that often occur in stagnant ponds. Shouldn't be an issue. This pond, like all the others I've seen in the community, will have fountains to keep the water circulating. It will also be stocked with fish to feed on any larvae. But, we also back up to a nature preserve, so there's no escaping some insect encounters. It's almost universal that the lanais are fully screened in, and that's one of the first add-ons we'll do. Beyond that, when my wife ventures away from cover to tend to the garden, she's on her own.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Well, just closed on the sale of our last house (investment property) in Virginia. We put the house on the market a few weeks ago. Had an open house on a Saturday and got seven offers - two above list price - by the following Monday. I expect that will be my last visit to the DC area for quite some time.

I'm not sure how much you guys enjoy dealing with an aggressive HOA, but I just love it! One of the requirements of the sale was to transfer HOA documentation to the new owner. At a cost of $325! After I heard what the charge would be, I told the HOA chieftain that I understand that there is a cost for 40 sheets of paper and having someone push the "print" button, but where does the other $324 go?

Then last week I got notified that we were behind on the HOA dues and that the fence in the backyard was non-compliant. We would have to remedy both (paying a fee for the fence would be acceptable) before selling the house. I informed the guy that we were paid up on our dues and asked why he didn't have his records updated? I also informed him that we've owned the house for about 14 years, and we had never been informed that the fence was non-compliant. More importantly, the fence is not ours; it belongs to our neighbor. Funny how the HOA gestapo would miss badly on these two issues. I told the guy to pound sand.

After talking to some of our friends/neighbors, they confirmed my suspicion: this is SOP for the HOA. They make up some transgressions knowing that the sellers will often stroke a check to make an issue go away so they can get the house sold. One wonders, if the HOA collects dues to cover their enumerated services, why do they need to extort more money from their exiting citizens? What are the extra denarii for? Even the smallest, most quasi of governmental entities suck.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Congrats on the good results selling your home in Virginia, Bodhi.

The end of an era......and the beginning of another!

Appreciate also the remarks about your H.O.A. Proud you for knowing your stuff and giving it to 'em. :p

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Had the meeting with the construction manager earlier this week. The shingles are on the roof; the windows and doors have been installed; duct work and low voltage electrical has been installed. Only a couple of minor issues that will be corrected. In two or three weeks the dry wall (hopefully non-Chinese) will be done. Still looking at a March/April delivery. They'll have a more definitive date once the cabinets are installed around the end of the year. My wife has been window shopping for furniture, curtains/blinds, kitchen accessories, etc. like a fiend. I'm hoping I'll receive permission to provide input on about 10% of our forthcoming purchases. Good times. :)

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Had the meeting with the construction manager earlier this week. The shingles are on the roof; the windows and doors have been installed; duct work and low voltage electrical has been installed. Only a couple of minor issues that will be corrected. In two or three weeks the dry wall (hopefully non-Chinese) will be done. Still looking at a March/April delivery. They'll have a more definitive date once the cabinets are installed around the end of the year. My wife has been window shopping for furniture, curtains/blinds, kitchen accessories, etc. like a fiend. I'm hoping I'll receive permission to provide input on about 10% of our forthcoming purchases. Good times. :)
10% ?? You sure are aiming high :p

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
If I had one suggestion, and one only to anyone having a home built. Buy a framing square and check every window frame, every door frame, and every corner of every room each day the framers are there. Tape measure will help also. Slack frame work usually shows its ugly head once the trim work starts.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
How is the new house coming, Bodhi?

They are putting the roof on the one behind me right now. Rain interfered with the peel and stick underlayment job on Saturday so will have to let it dry out good before they can continue. I wonder if that will do some warping on the particle board type plywood they installed. :unsure:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.