Having a house built
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 43
  1. #1
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Posts
    20,125

    Smile Having a house built

    My wife and I completed our two-day visit at the design center to pick out options a couple of weeks ago, and we just met with the construction manager yesterday. They will break ground in about a month and deliver the house next March/April. We will still have some customizing to do on our own (upgraded shelving and racks in the bedroom closets; built-in bookcases in the study; expanded lanai, water features, and gardens in the back and side yards, etc.). The community has all sorts of amenities (many pools, soccer fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball, dog parks, river access, walking trails through a nature preserve, a town center with several restaurants, and even a couple of water parks). My wife and I have been reserved in non-investment spending since we've been married. Now is the time to enjoy what has been built, starting with this house. It's going to an anxious nine months or so waiting for the dream house to be built, but it will be fun filling it up with new furniture and assorted toys after that. (The garage is built for two cars and a golf cart. That's how people cruise around the community and to the Publix/restaurants/water parks/the monthly farmer's market .... on golf carts! Too funny!)
    Bodhi


    Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

  2. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hooterville, Vir.
    Posts
    16,130

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My wife and I completed our two-day visit at the design center to pick out options a couple of weeks ago, and we just met with the construction manager yesterday. They will break ground in about a month and deliver the house next March/April. We will still have some customizing to do on our own (upgraded shelving and racks in the bedroom closets; built-in bookcases in the study; expanded lanai, water features, and gardens in the back and side yards, etc.). The community has all sorts of amenities (many pools, soccer fields, basketball courts, sand volleyball, dog parks, river access, walking trails through a nature preserve, a town center with several restaurants, and even a couple of water parks). My wife and I have been reserved in non-investment spending since we've been married. Now is the time to enjoy what has been built, starting with this house. It's going to an anxious nine months or so waiting for the dream house to be built, but it will be fun filling it up with new furniture and assorted toys after that. (The garage is built for two cars and a golf cart. That's how people cruise around the community and to the Publix/restaurants/water parks/the monthly farmer's market .... on golf carts! Too funny!)
    Is the finished house going to be in Florida?

  3. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    5,621

    Re: Having a house built

    You’re what’s wrong with America, how dare you keep what you’ve worked for? Sarcasm sarcasm, blue font blue font.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

  4. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,861

    Re: Having a house built

    Sounds exciting, gonna be a long 9-10 months,
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  5. #5
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,849

    Re: Having a house built

    I've done it once. I'd never do it again, particularly the designing part...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  6. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
    Posts
    20,125
    Thread Starter

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I've done it once. I'd never do it again, particularly the designing part...
    We looked at a lot of homes that we really liked but didn't check all the boxes. A big consideration is that my MIL is planning to come to the States and live with us. We wanted her to have her own guest suite downstairs. She's in her 70s now, and going up and down stairs will only become more problematic. Finding a second master bedroom downstairs with its own bathroom was important. We don't want her to feel like a guest. The best arrangement we found was in this Toll Brothers community, so we decided it is worth the wait.
    Bodhi


    Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

  7. #7
    Senior Administrator TIDE-HSV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Huntsville, AL,USA
    Posts
    63,849

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    We looked at a lot of homes that we really liked but didn't check all the boxes. A big consideration is that my MIL is planning to come to the States and live with us. We wanted her to have her own guest suite downstairs. She's in her 70s now, and going up and down stairs will only become more problematic. Finding a second master bedroom downstairs with its own bathroom was important. We don't want her to feel like a guest. The best arrangement we found was in this Toll Brothers community, so we decided it is worth the wait.
    I designed in the downstairs MIL suite also and she promptly died. I had a lot of fun creating the house but not so much living there. It coincided with the end of my first marriage, so my feelings about it are tied up with that. After that experience, I decided that I would find something and modify it to fit. Creating a new house is probably something everyone who can afford it should do once. I've worked in construction and enjoyed that part of it. I was heavy into running at the time and I used to design trim and interior in my head while I was training...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

    'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

    “I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

  8. #8
    FB|BB Moderator dayhiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pell City, AL
    Posts
    6,963

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I've done it once. I'd never do it again, particularly the designing part...
    Same here, and as you know, I design buildings for a living. Being on the other side of the fence was stressful.

  9. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,861

    Re: Having a house built

    Everybody should build a house and be married once. I would never do either again.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  10. #10
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I designed in the downstairs MIL suite also and she promptly died. I had a lot of fun creating the house but not so much living there. It coincided with the end of my first marriage, so my feelings about it are tied up with that. After that experience, I decided that I would find something and modify it to fit. Creating a new house is probably something everyone who can afford it should do once. I've worked in construction and enjoyed that part of it. I was heavy into running at the time and I used to design trim and interior in my head while I was training...
    I modified a design and hired a builder, on a bankers recommendation, who turned out to be basically bankrupt. I was in a very stressful job and it turned out to be an awful mistake. It was incredible to have someone cutting corners every step of the way and not have the time to manage it. I have upgraded two houses generally on my own and that has gone without the heart aches involved in my "money pit" build.

  11. #11
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Twelvessee
    Posts
    6,324

    Re: Having a house built

    A lot of people in my neighborhood have golf carts and judging by how much they use them they love them. In fact, more have them than those that don’t. It must be the new thing.

    For whatever reason, the golf carts aggravate my wife.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,321

    Re: Having a house built

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    A lot of people in my neighborhood have golf carts and judging by how much they use them they love them. In fact, more have them than those that don’t. It must be the new thing.

    For whatever reason, the golf carts aggravate my wife.
    There's a planned community in the Montgomery area that requires golf carts with the intent of limiting car travel within the neighborhood.

    When we lived in Mississippi, several of my friends and I had golf carts and/or ATVs. That's how we got to each other's houses since we didn't live right down the street.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  13. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,701

    Re: Having a house built

    I was always told, if you want to get a divorce or come close to it, build a house together.

    I designed an addition for a couple, they are now divorced. The fights they would get into over trivial stuff amazed me. They once got into a very heated discussion over the color blue (from 2 different companies). Best part was the RGB was the same for both.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear