Bye week moving 2020 and beyond.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I was looking at our schedules in 2020, 2021 and beyond and it looks as if our annual FCS beatdown/Saban Media undressing is moving up a week. Are we going to a bye week before The Barn which would mean in most years 11 straight games? Or, are we keeping the Bye week before LSU and playing a conference game before the Barn?

I don’t like 11 straight, especially if LSU takes a bye before our game. I also don’t like no bye before the Barn if they take one. Hoping the SEC steps in and says if we take our bye week before LSU, the Barn cannot take their bye week before we play them. We don’t need Gus with basically 3 weeks to install some JR HS offense full of chop blocks and 10 people downfield.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There has been some talk of a permanent two open weeks schedule. Saban has always said he'd prefer to have the bye earlier but the schedule shape kinda dictates the late October/early November bye week. If we went to two bye weeks I reckon we'd have one before Tennessee and before Auburn if possible. Get some mending time midseason plus a recharge before Auburn and any other postseason play.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I like the idea of two open weeks. Auburn for sure, and TAMU, LSU or Tennessee.
No sense giving any of those teams an advantage.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I was looking at our schedules in 2020, 2021 and beyond and it looks as if our annual FCS beatdown/Saban Media undressing is moving up a week. Are we going to a bye week before The Barn which would mean in most years 11 straight games? Or, are we keeping the Bye week before LSU and playing a conference game before the Barn?

I don’t like 11 straight, especially if LSU takes a bye before our game. I also don’t like no bye before the Barn if they take one. Hoping the SEC steps in and says if we take our bye week before LSU, the Barn cannot take their bye week before we play them. We don’t need Gus with basically 3 weeks to install some JR HS offense full of chop blocks and 10 people downfield.
The only date that is officially set is the 2020 game. It does appear that 2020 will be a 15 week season.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Looks like the 2020 season is set up for two bye weeks and both Alabama and Auburn have a bye the week before the Iron Bowl, since we play UT-Martin and Auburn plays UMass on 11/14. The SECCG is set for 12/5 so that would mean the IB will be played on 11/28. Cannot say at this point when the first bye week would be.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Looks like the 2020 season is set up for two bye weeks and both Alabama and Auburn have a bye the week before the Iron Bowl, since we play UT-Martin and Auburn plays UMass on 11/14. The SECCG is set for 12/5 so that would mean the IB will be played on 11/28. Cannot say at this point when the first bye week would be.
Not room for 2 bye weeks. Season starts 9/5 so only 13 Saturday’s before the SEC Champ game. Since AU cried loud enough to get the UGA game moved to early October, they have said they are moving their bye week until before the Iron Bowl. I know Saban hates a late bye week but, having the bye after LSU means we are coming off of an SEC game while AU is coming off of a bye week and joke game. Huge advantage for AU.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Not room for 2 bye weeks. Season starts 9/5 so only 13 Saturday’s before the SEC Champ game. Since AU cried loud enough to get the UGA game moved to early October, they have said they are moving their bye week until before the Iron Bowl. I know Saban hates a late bye week but, having the bye after LSU means we are coming off of an SEC game while AU is coming off of a bye week and joke game. Huge advantage for AU.
Looks like you are correct. Apparently an oddity in the calendar allows 2 byes in 2019 but not 2020. In 2019 we have a very early Labor Day which creates an extra week. Looking back I noticed the same thing happened in 2013. It will be a long grind if our bye only happens before AU in 2020.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I have always felt that the bye in the middle of the season is best as a general resting and regrouping to finish the season strong. While I understand the idea, I am not sure that a bye before a big rivalry game is as beneficial as it would seem and almost get a team hitting on all cylinders down the stretch to sputter once momentum is broken. I have been wrong before though so...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have always felt that the bye in the middle of the season is best as a general resting and regrouping to finish the season strong. While I understand the idea, I am not sure that a bye before a big rivalry game is as beneficial as it would seem and almost get a team hitting on all cylinders down the stretch to sputter once momentum is broken. I have been wrong before though so...
Agreed. Maybe it's because we often have a bye before bigger games, but it often seems we come out a little flat in these games after a bye. IOW, it may just be the better teams make us look worse. But I often think it's about the time being off more than playing a good team.

I know an off week helps with injuries but I think it messes up our offensive rhythm, especially late in the year when we need to be clicking.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Looks like you are correct. Apparently an oddity in the calendar allows 2 byes in 2019 but not 2020. In 2019 we have a very early Labor Day which creates an extra week. Looking back I noticed the same thing happened in 2013. It will be a long grind if our bye only happens before AU in 2020.
Double bye weeks only occur when the season begins 8/30 or 8/31. That allows 14 Saturday’s before the first Saturday in December. Maybe the SEC is going to announce they are moving the SEC Champ game to the 2nd Saturday in Dec. However, that could create a scenario where the SEC Champ game is 12/14 and the playoff game could be 12/28. Not sure the CFP would want to only have 13 days from the selection show to the games. Really suck for fans trying to make plans that quick around the Holidays.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Double bye weeks only occur when the season begins 8/30 or 8/31. That allows 14 Saturday’s before the first Saturday in December. Maybe the SEC is going to announce they are moving the SEC Champ game to the 2nd Saturday in Dec. However, that could create a scenario where the SEC Champ game is 12/14 and the playoff game could be 12/28. Not sure the CFP would want to only have 13 days from the selection show to the games. Really suck for fans trying to make plans that quick around the Holidays.
The SECCG date has already been announced and the SEC couldn't change it if they wanted to. The NCAA dictates the number of weeks in the season. The only exceptions are Hawaii, teams that play in Hawaii or out of the country, and Army-Navy.

2020 NMSU schedule is a good example. They open at UCLA on 8/29 and are allowed to do so because they play at Hawaii on 10/10. At present their schedule is set to end at UF on 11/21, but they are allowed to play a 13th game on 11/28 or 12/5 if they desire. UCLA will also be allowed to play a 13th game because they play in Hawaii on 9/5. My guess is that NMSU will be unable to schedule the extra game and UCLA will take a second bye week.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/new-mexico-state

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/ucla

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Perhaps Alabama (read Saban) has realized that in playing 15 games a year, the bye is needed more before the last four, and largest games, than after the first eight games. With very few exceptions, the starters have not been needed in the fourth quarters of the first eight games.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.