In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 15
  1. #1

    In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’

    This is awesome.

    In one of the most remarkable partnerships in modern American political history, Soros and Charles Koch, the more active of the two brothers, are joining to finance a new foreign-policy think tank in Washington. It will promote an approach to the world based on diplomacy and restraint rather than threats, sanctions, and bombing. This is a radical notion in Washington, where every major think tank promotes some variant of neocon militarism or liberal interventionism. Soros and Koch are uniting to revive the fading vision of a peaceable United States. The street cred they bring from both ends of the political spectrum — along with the money they are providing — will make this new think tank an off-pitch voice for statesmanship amid a Washington chorus that promotes brinksmanship.
    In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever war’ policy
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  2. #2
    BamaNation All-American tattooguy21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,267

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    I am very happy to see competing ideologies come together for something like this.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, TN
    Posts
    6,173

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    In concrete terms, this means the Quincy Institute will likely advocate a withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan and Syria; a return to the nuclear deal with Iran; less confrontational approaches to Russia and China; an end to regime-change campaigns against Venezuela and Cuba; and sharp reductions in the defense budget.


    I love everything they are trying to accomplish. I certainly hope it works.

  4. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,008

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    I love everything they are trying to accomplish. I certainly hope it works.
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    I agree, but I seriously doubt things will change much.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Part of me is looking for the catch.

    Part of me is suspicious that this can be successful given that war is far more profitable than its absence.

    Part of me finds it reasonable that, once the uber rich get afraid the masses will eat them, they start looking for ways to keep their wealth and heads.

    Part of me doesn't really give a damn and just hopes they're successful.

  6. #6
    BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Florence, AL
    Posts
    9,447

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    ...Part of me finds it reasonable that, once the uber rich get afraid the masses will eat them, they start looking for ways to keep their wealth and heads...
    I find this statement particularly ironic, given your political leanings regarding firearms.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

    Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

  7. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6,545

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    I find this statement particularly ironic, given your political leanings regarding firearms.
    I’m curious what you think my beliefs are.

  8. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,204

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I’m curious what you think my beliefs are.
    does it involve avocados and toast?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  9. #9
    Thread Starter

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Part of me doesn't really give a damn and just hopes they're successful.
    This is pretty much where all of me is at this point.

    The US has been at war in some way or another for decades - it has to stop. How many bridges weren't built, how many kids weren't educated as well as they might have been, how many tax dollars were flat-out wasted by using billions (and trillions) to wage war against people who never attacked us?
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  10. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,204

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    This is pretty much where all of me is at this point.

    The US has been at war in some way or another for decades - it has to stop. How many bridges weren't built, how many kids weren't educated as well as they might have been, how many tax dollars were flat-out wasted by using billions (and trillions) to wage war against people who never attacked us?
    not to mention the massive fortunes accumulated by a relatively few folks
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

  11. #11
    Thread Starter

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    not to mention the massive fortunes accumulated by a relatively few folks
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

    This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

  12. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milan, TN
    Posts
    6,173

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

    This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.
    What is this from?

  13. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 92tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    East Point, Ga, USA
    Posts
    36,204

    Re: In an astonishing turn, George Soros and Charles Koch team up to end US ‘forever

    Quote Originally Posted by Go Bama View Post
    What is this from?
    Chance for Peace speech - Pres. Eisenhower
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

    - George Orwell

    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

    — Thomas Pynchon

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear