Video of Coach Oats on court coaching Bama practice - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: Video of Coach Oats on court coaching Bama practice

Once he gets his own players in I think we will be final 4. this year I expect us to make the dance.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    If we make it to the tourney this first year I would say the hire will be overwhelmingly successful.
    Absolutely considering we made it only once in the CAJ 4-year tenure and once in the CAG 6-year tenure.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by mlingerfelt31 View Post
    Once he gets his own players in I think we will be final 4. this year I expect us to make the dance.

hoping fans dont get their hopes up to high..never ends well... lets get through a season and see what we have first.. looks good so far though

BamaNation First Team

Well one thing I am impressed with he is building relationships and working like Saban , I expect a growing pains at the start time we get to SEC I think will bond together I just hope we dont collapse at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mlingerfelt31 View Post
    Well one thing I am impressed with he is building relationships and working like Saban , I expect a growing pains at the start time we get to SEC I think will bond together I just hope we dont collapse at the end.
    Just like when CNS arrived, you quit seeing late game collapses, I believe the same will happen with CNO coached Bama teams. Terrible FT shooting is probably a thing of the past too.

I looked it up. Buffalo's FT % was only about 2 points higher than ours last season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamersfuel View Post
    hoping fans dont get their hopes up to high..never ends well... lets get through a season and see what we have first.. looks good so far though
    I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but letís see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Wow!

Based on this video and the other snippets posted on this board recently, I almost started a thread entitled "Have we possibly found the basketball equivalent to Nick Saban?"

I think we are going to surprise a lot of opponents this year!

He is a teacher and pays attention to detail...
    Last edited by NoNC4Tubs; July 6th, 2019 at 06:13 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TrampLineman's Avatar

Man we can really tell we can't shoot 3's from a small clip from practice

We can't build and get shooters in one year. This will be a process. Yes his offense will cause some quick shooting and running back on defense but when we're wearing teams out you won't need the 3 as much. But once he has a full roster of his kids you will say different and love our fast offense. Yes it has it's quirks like any other offense (just like UNC for example).

I guess we should go back to the Anthony Grant offense, it worked great!
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation Hall of Fame TrampLineman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but let’s see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

It will help when we learn how to spell Oats.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but letís see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

I completely disagree with this take. The excitement was nowhere near this when CAJ was hired. There was an excitement because people knew who he was, but this is a whole new feel. CNO has actually come in with a system and a plan. CAJ never really had a plan or a real true system. He never really recruited to a system either. If you look at how he is recruiting already, and the hard work that the players are putting in during practice and after practice. He has the players believing in themselves and their teammates (an underrated aspect of coaching) I have full belief in him, and I truly believe that he is going to do great things. He has an it factor to him. In fact, I was sold on him while he was still at Buffalo. If you guys look back at some of my old posts; Oats was in my top 5-10 list of candidates that I wanted.

BamaNation First Team

I am ready for season.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMike05 View Post
    I completely disagree with this take. The excitement was nowhere near this when CAJ was hired. There was an excitement because people knew who he was, but this is a whole new feel. CNO has actually come in with a system and a plan. CAJ never really had a plan or a real true system. He never really recruited to a system either. If you look at how he is recruiting already, and the hard work that the players are putting in during practice and after practice. He has the players believing in themselves and their teammates (an underrated aspect of coaching) I have full belief in him, and I truly believe that he is going to do great things. He has an it factor to him. In fact, I was sold on him while he was still at Buffalo. If you guys look back at some of my old posts; Oats was in my top 5-10 list of candidates that I wanted.

I agree with this. I also think that a difference is that the excitement has built after he got here. Many people reacted with skepticism. Who's this guy that talks funny? Buffalo, didn't they lose 4 Super Bowls? He shows up, does a few radio shows, people hear him and realize that there is a depth to his words. A couple of main players decide to leave. He convinces them to stay. Major roster moves happen all across the board. You get the feel that the transfers that stuck were really the result of him culling the roster and each replacement is better than the last replacement. Now, we're getting glimpses of what they're doing behind the scenes. He seems to be very good at using the media to get a message across. If it happens to built excitement in the fan base, well, that's ok too, but it's really about recruiting. That might remind me of someone else on campus too.