Video of Coach Oats on court coaching Bama practice

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Wow!

Based on this video and the other snippets posted on this board recently, I almost started a thread entitled "Have we possibly found the basketball equivalent to Nick Saban?"

I think we are going to surprise a lot of opponents this year!

He is a teacher and pays attention to detail... :cool2:

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Man we can really tell we can't shoot 3's from a small clip from practice:biggrin:

We can't build and get shooters in one year. This will be a process. Yes his offense will cause some quick shooting and running back on defense but when we're wearing teams out you won't need the 3 as much. But once he has a full roster of his kids you will say different and love our fast offense. Yes it has it's quirks like any other offense (just like UNC for example).

I guess we should go back to the Anthony Grant offense, it worked great!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but let’s see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will help when we learn how to spell Oats.:biggrin2:;)

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but let’s see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

I completely disagree with this take. The excitement was nowhere near this when CAJ was hired. There was an excitement because people knew who he was, but this is a whole new feel. CNO has actually come in with a system and a plan. CAJ never really had a plan or a real true system. He never really recruited to a system either. If you look at how he is recruiting already, and the hard work that the players are putting in during practice and after practice. He has the players believing in themselves and their teammates (an underrated aspect of coaching) I have full belief in him, and I truly believe that he is going to do great things. He has an it factor to him. In fact, I was sold on him while he was still at Buffalo. If you guys look back at some of my old posts; Oats was in my top 5-10 list of candidates that I wanted.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I completely disagree with this take. The excitement was nowhere near this when CAJ was hired. There was an excitement because people knew who he was, but this is a whole new feel. CNO has actually come in with a system and a plan. CAJ never really had a plan or a real true system. He never really recruited to a system either. If you look at how he is recruiting already, and the hard work that the players are putting in during practice and after practice. He has the players believing in themselves and their teammates (an underrated aspect of coaching) I have full belief in him, and I truly believe that he is going to do great things. He has an it factor to him. In fact, I was sold on him while he was still at Buffalo. If you guys look back at some of my old posts; Oats was in my top 5-10 list of candidates that I wanted.

I agree with this. I also think that a difference is that the excitement has built after he got here. Many people reacted with skepticism. Who's this guy that talks funny? Buffalo, didn't they lose 4 Super Bowls? He shows up, does a few radio shows, people hear him and realize that there is a depth to his words. A couple of main players decide to leave. He convinces them to stay. Major roster moves happen all across the board. You get the feel that the transfers that stuck were really the result of him culling the roster and each replacement is better than the last replacement. Now, we're getting glimpses of what they're doing behind the scenes. He seems to be very good at using the media to get a message across. If it happens to built excitement in the fan base, well, that's ok too, but it's really about recruiting. That might remind me of someone else on campus too.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I agree as well. I admit I wasn't the happiest when I first learned he was "the hire" but he has recruited me just as much as he has the players he kept and got in what little time he had. He got a pretty good applause at A-Day too because of the same thing. The only thing going for CAJ was his NBA past and people got excited over that including myself but he never quite sold me because I knew about his time with San Antonio.

I'm excited to see the product. Do I think we end up in the tourney? Well it depends on how good Raymond Hawkins can be IMHO. If he needs time to adjust during conference play I think we're struggling. If he's good I do think we have a chance at making the tourney. If we're competitive enough to even compete for a spot I think Oats definitely earns his money. If he makes the tourney then we got the steal of a lifetime

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think he is saying that we should have had 23 wins and made the tourney last season.
Ahh, gotcha. I'll buy that. That UT loss still looms large. I have a feeling that we're going to ultimately be thankful for last year because of what it gets us down the road.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Lewis and Petty had left I'd say we shouldn't expect to make the tournament. Based on them coming back we should be able to make the tournament..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Lewis and Petty had left I'd say we shouldn't expect to make the tournament. Based on them coming back we should be able to make the tournament..
Agreed. There will be growing pains, but the roster fits his system.

If Quinerly somehow gets his waiver granted, the roster has the potential to be scary. Three legit PG options with two on the court at a time? Yes please.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.