Video of Coach Oats on court coaching Bama practice

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
A lot of buzz going on right now which is highly unusual this time of year with football just around the corner. Although I think the team will be improved I am not going to set expectations so high as to where I will end up disappointed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A lot of buzz going on right now which is highly unusual this time of year with football just around the corner. Although I think the team will be improved I am not going to set expectations so high as to where I will end up disappointed.
So just an Elite Eight run then?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Yeah, shooting quick and missing will give the other team a chance to build a bigger lead. Hopefully the outside shooting and free throw shooting percentages will improve along with a reduction in turnovers per possession.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Yeah, shooting quick and missing will give the other team a chance to build a bigger lead. Hopefully the outside shooting and free throw shooting percentages will improve along with a reduction in turnovers per possession.
Yea I hear you and that will be an issue during the transition of this program to the one Oats will build. He has built a program before although it be at the highschool level. He has a proven track record and all of us are seeing the buzz he has created for Tide Hoops in just a couple of months. Below is his philosophy in a nutshell from the coach himself taken out of the article I have also linked. This is going to be a full court show:

"The offense is up-tempo with players encouraged to get up a shot in the first seven seconds if it’s open. The defense picks up full-court and looks to wear down opponents. All of it is done with a relentless effort."

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebask...-basketball-team-in-new-york-this-season.html

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I wasn't thrilled with the outside shooting in the video. Surpise surprise. But we seem very fluid and seamless when we move the ball around which is a major change. Teams that live by the 3 die by the 3 when it isn't going in.

I am very excited about next season, but we need to temper expectations. This in all honesty is probably not a final four team, bu that doesn't mean we are going to bad either. I think somewhere around 20 in regular season and a few in the big dance would be the top end. If we just make the tourney, I'll be happy. I was impressed with Fleming and Hawkins in the video. One thing is his practices is they are high intensity , and high speed. There is very little standing around.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think if all the guys keep buying in and they play to their potential, that this team will see a lot of success. Best realistic case scenario: second round tourney team. I'm still tempering my expectations but I truly believe that they can do very well this season. Remember they will be tested this season with the out of conference touneys we are participating in and the SEC schedule.

Again, a lot of these are IF but I'm excited to see what this team can happen ... and this isn't even factoring in JQ Smooth playing.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Well one thing I am impressed with he is building relationships and working like Saban , I expect a growing pains at the start time we get to SEC I think will bond together I just hope we dont collapse at the end.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Well one thing I am impressed with he is building relationships and working like Saban , I expect a growing pains at the start time we get to SEC I think will bond together I just hope we dont collapse at the end.
Just like when CNS arrived, you quit seeing late game collapses, I believe the same will happen with CNO coached Bama teams. Terrible FT shooting is probably a thing of the past too.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
hoping fans dont get their hopes up to high..never ends well... lets get through a season and see what we have first.. looks good so far though
I agree we need to tap the brakes a bit on Oates. A good hire, but let’s see what happens. The comments I am seeing remind me of the ones about Johnson. How did that work out for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.