Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree on both games, but also assert that without AJ's game against LSU in 2012 and that amazing drive (AJ to TJ) we don't face ND for the easy win. As I mentioned above, that may have been AJ's finest hour that season with his game against Georgia in the SECCG running a close second. He had the better game against Georgia but the better "moment" against LSU.
The thing about both of those games is that have something in common.... Nuss put us in those situations because he tried his damndest to get AJ the heisman when had he ran the ball then we win both of those games by double digits. Neither of those games required AJ to be an all star to win until Nuss nearly botched them. Had aj twisted his ankle in either in the first quarter then we probably win with Blake Sims handing off the ball.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Ummmmmm...and last year's NCAA all-time record setting performance?

[video]https://gfycat.com/unlinedequalgalapagosdove-insurance-goalie-hockey-player-walrus[/video]

***EDIT:Should have read on first, but I'm leaving it because it's ridiculous...Like a walrus in a hockey net ridiculous...

I think I'll wait to anoint Tua until he actually completes *a season* !

The excess hype for Tua is unfair to him, imo, and mostly because it's based on QB camps and personal evaluations - he has to live up to that hype, actually perform, do it on the field.

No one is doubting is potential - potential and a dollar buys you a cup of coffee - well, in many places it does.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think I'll wait to anoint Tua until he actually completes *a season* !

The excess hype for Tua is unfair to him, imo, and mostly because it's based on QB camps and personal evaluations - he has to live up to that hype, actually perform, do it on the field.

No one is doubting is potential - potential and a dollar buys you a cup of coffee - well, in many places it does.
lol. nope.another accolade. Thank God for Jalen Hurts!

II am a fan and believer in Tua, a bigger believer in results : championships!

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
I just want to give another shout out to Harry Gilmer. He has only been mentioned once in four pages and deserves a bit more attention. All-SEC twice, SEC player of the year. He led the nation in TD passes his sophmore year. As a Senior, an All-American and finished his last season undefeated and crushing USC in the Rose Bowl game (the one where they wanted no more SEC teams afterward).

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Pat Trammel (ain't nothing but a winner)
Joe Namath (Broadway Joe)
Kenny Stabler (great competitor)
Tua Tagovialoa (great talent, almost as good as Namath)
Terry Davis (awesome wishbone QB)

I'd list Bart Star but this is based on college playing days.
Joe Namath
Kenny Stabler
A.J. McCarron ? IMO.
Jalen Hurts
Tua Tagovailoa

NOT A SLOUCH IN THE BUNCH.
Some might question A. J., but he gets my vote the hard way...
He earned it.

Last edited:

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I'm not saying he belongs in the top five discussion, but to me a forgotten Alabama QB and he didn't pass much but his teams had a heck of a winning record, Richard Todd.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think if we go for the Mt Rushmore of quarterbacks then you would have:

Joe
Kenny
AJ
Tua

But if we are going off of overall talent:

Joe
Coker
Blake
Brodie
Tua

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think if we go for the Mt Rushmore of quarterbacks then you would have:

Joe
Kenny
AJ
Tua

But if we are going off of overall talent:

Joe
Coker
Blake
Brodie
Tua
I'd leave out Coker, but I like your "talent" list.

Man, Brodie was such an enigma. He may have had the most gifted "arm" of any QB that ever wore a Bama jersey, but those knees kept us from really finding out what he could do.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Coker was one of the more talented qbs that Alabama has ever had, but injuries and bad luck prevented him from really doing anything other than winning a championship to cement his legacy.

Man, Brodie was such an enigma. He may have had the most gifted "arm" of any QB that ever wore a Bama jersey, but those knees kept us from really finding out what he could do.

Donkey coaching, and probation was probably worse to him than his knees. Its amazing that it took AJ 4 whole years to break his mark. JPW did it in 3 full years of work.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Coker was one of the more talented qbs that Alabama has ever had,

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Great athlete, but his arm talent/qb abilities don't rival the most talented qbs Bama ever had in my opinion.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Just to get all of these names in here... the 10 All-American QBs at Alabama:

1. Pooley Hubert
2. Dixie Howell
3. Riley Smith
4. Harry Gilmer
5. Joe Namath
6. Kenny Stabler
7. Steve Sloan
8. Jay Barker
9. A.J. McCarron
10. Tua Tagovailoa

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
1) Stabler
1-A) Namath
1-B) Tagovailoa
4) McCarron
5) Trammell
6) Todd
7) Barker
8) Sloan
9) Gilmer
10) Davis
I like Jake, Blake, and Jalen but none would be in the top ten.

1. Tua: NCAA record holder in QB eff.(199.44). Alabama single season record holder in passing yards(3,966) passing TD's(43) total yards(4,156) total TD's(48). He already ranks 2nd in career passing TD's(54) and 3rd in career total TD's(61). He's the only player in Alabama history to account for 6 TD's in a game(2018 vs Auburn). Bear in mind that he's only attempted 432 career passes. 25 D1 QB's had 400 or more attempts last season alone, led by Gardner Minshew with 632. He throws a TD pass for every 8 attempts. AJ was at 1 in 13.3.

2. AJ: Alabama record holder in career passing yards(9,019) passing TD's(77) total yards(8,969) and total TD's(80).

3. Jalen: Is 2nd all-time in both career total TD's(71) and single season total TD's(36). He is 3rd in both career total yards(7,606) and single season total yards(3,734). He is 3rd in career passing TD's(48). His QB rating improved every year to an off the charts 196.67 last year.

4. Joe Namath: Broadway Joe knows football.

5. Harry Gilmer: His 48 total TD's rank 5th in Alabama history.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Great athlete, but his arm talent/qb abilities don't rival the most talented qbs Bama ever had in my opinion.
unless you are strictly talking about accuracy, Coker has everyone beat not named Blake Sims, Brodie Croyle, and Tua on "arm talent". His biggest selling points were his physical build, scrambling abilities, accuracy on throwing on the run, and his cannon arm. Comparing him to AJ would be like comparing Big Ben to Brady. One has all the physical tools to stretch the field with the deep ball and scramble (Ben and Coker), and the other is a surgeon within 5-20 yards (Brady and AJ). There are multiple ways to judge talent, but with physical talent it would be hard to say Roethlisberger isn't more talented than Brady just like its hard to say Coker isn't to AJ.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
unless you are strictly talking about accuracy, Coker has everyone beat not named Blake Sims, Brodie Croyle, and Tua on "arm talent". His biggest selling points were his physical build, scrambling abilities, accuracy on throwing on the run, and his cannon arm. Comparing him to AJ would be like comparing Big Ben to Brady. One has all the physical tools to stretch the field with the deep ball and scramble (Ben and Coker), and the other is a surgeon within 5-20 yards (Brady and AJ). There are multiple ways to judge talent, but with physical talent it would be hard to say Roethlisberger isn't more talented than Brady just like its hard to say Coker isn't to AJ.
He was pretty good out of the pocket and on the run, but I was thinking more of his slow release and struggles with accuracy. But that doesn't mean he wasn't good... I just thought we were talking "great."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He was pretty good out of the pocket and on the run, but I was thinking more of his slow release and struggles with accuracy. But that doesn't mean he wasn't good... I just thought we were talking "great."
Ill put it like this: "Based on physical talent Tom Brady isn't in the Top 10 now or ever in the NFL, but you would be crazy or extremely biased to have him out of your Top 10 or even your Top 5 GOAT list".

Im more saying that Coker was probably one of the most physically talented qbs Alabama has ever had, not that he is a Top 5 GOAT. I don't think him or Blake are in that list, but a case could be made for Blake for Top 10....

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Jake had come to Alabama out of high school, I suspect he would have been a different QB. He was hurt by having only one real season.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
5 favorites would be:
AJ
Jalen
Coker ( the kid had guts)
Tua
Blake Sims ( loved to watch him run)

5 best would be:
Namath
Stabler
AJ
Trammel
Starr
The more I see of Trammel, the more I like him. Good athlete, not afraid to run the ball, but he had a degree of leadership that I think was essential.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I thought that too, which is why coming up with a list like this is hard. Still, it's a good, fun discussion.

Curious, why you don't list AJ?
I'd put AJ at 6...but the post asked for only 5. Might consider moving AJ to 5 and Davis to 6, but what Terry did in that first year running the bone was pretty spectacular since it was a totally new offense he hadn't run before.

AngeloToad

BamaNation Citizen
May 12, 2019
Douglasville, GA

Brodie is not even in my top 10 QB's. I thought he gave up against Aub in his last game even though he was getting pounded.
I know about 10 different people that had dogs named Brodie. All lap dogs. Too funny.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.