Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Crystal Cove,which is west of Montgomery on the Alabama River near Prairie Creek Campground.

Re: Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks?

1. Tua: NCAA record holder in QB eff.(199.44). Alabama single season record holder in passing yards(3,966) passing TD's(43) total yards(4,156) total TD's(48). He already ranks 2nd in career passing TD's(54) and 3rd in career total TD's(61). He's the only player in Alabama history to account for 6 TD's in a game(2018 vs Auburn). Bear in mind that he's only attempted 432 career passes. 25 D1 QB's had 400 or more attempts last season alone, led by Gardner Minshew with 632. He throws a TD pass for every 8 attempts. AJ was at 1 in 13.3.

2. AJ: Alabama record holder in career passing yards(9,019) passing TD's(77) total yards(8,969) and total TD's(80).

3. Jalen: Is 2nd all-time in both career total TD's(71) and single season total TD's(36). He is 3rd in both career total yards(7,606) and single season total yards(3,734). He is 3rd in career passing TD's(48). His QB rating improved every year to an off the charts 196.67 last year.

4. Joe Namath: Broadway Joe knows football.

5. Harry Gilmer: His 48 total TD's rank 5th in Alabama history.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Great athlete, but his arm talent/qb abilities don't rival the most talented qbs Bama ever had in my opinion.
    unless you are strictly talking about accuracy, Coker has everyone beat not named Blake Sims, Brodie Croyle, and Tua on "arm talent". His biggest selling points were his physical build, scrambling abilities, accuracy on throwing on the run, and his cannon arm. Comparing him to AJ would be like comparing Big Ben to Brady. One has all the physical tools to stretch the field with the deep ball and scramble (Ben and Coker), and the other is a surgeon within 5-20 yards (Brady and AJ). There are multiple ways to judge talent, but with physical talent it would be hard to say Roethlisberger isn't more talented than Brady just like its hard to say Coker isn't to AJ.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 3rd, 2019 at 02:11 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    unless you are strictly talking about accuracy, Coker has everyone beat not named Blake Sims, Brodie Croyle, and Tua on "arm talent". His biggest selling points were his physical build, scrambling abilities, accuracy on throwing on the run, and his cannon arm. Comparing him to AJ would be like comparing Big Ben to Brady. One has all the physical tools to stretch the field with the deep ball and scramble (Ben and Coker), and the other is a surgeon within 5-20 yards (Brady and AJ). There are multiple ways to judge talent, but with physical talent it would be hard to say Roethlisberger isn't more talented than Brady just like its hard to say Coker isn't to AJ.
    He was pretty good out of the pocket and on the run, but I was thinking more of his slow release and struggles with accuracy. But that doesn't mean he wasn't good... I just thought we were talking "great."

He was pretty good out of the pocket and on the run, but I was thinking more of his slow release and struggles with accuracy. But that doesn't mean he wasn't good... I just thought we were talking "great."
    Ill put it like this: "Based on physical talent Tom Brady isn't in the Top 10 now or ever in the NFL, but you would be crazy or extremely biased to have him out of your Top 10 or even your Top 5 GOAT list".

Im more saying that Coker was probably one of the most physically talented qbs Alabama has ever had, not that he is a Top 5 GOAT. I don't think him or Blake are in that list, but a case could be made for Blake for Top 10....
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 3rd, 2019 at 02:49 PM.

Hannibal

If Jake had come to Alabama out of high school, I suspect he would have been a different QB. He was hurt by having only one real season.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboyinnh View Post
    5 favorites would be:
    AJ
    Jalen
    Coker ( the kid had guts)
    Tua
    Blake Sims ( loved to watch him run)

5 best would be:
    Namath
    Stabler
    AJ
    Trammel
    Starr
    The more I see of Trammel, the more I like him. Good athlete, not afraid to run the ball, but he had a degree of leadership that I think was essential.

I thought that too, which is why coming up with a list like this is hard. Still, it's a good, fun discussion.

Curious, why you don't list AJ?
    I'd put AJ at 6...but the post asked for only 5. Might consider moving AJ to 5 and Davis to 6, but what Terry did in that first year running the bone was pretty spectacular since it was a totally new offense he hadn't run before.

BamaNation Scout Team

I'd leave out Coker, but I like your "talent" list.

Man, Brodie was such an enigma. He may have had the most gifted "arm" of any QB that ever wore a Bama jersey, but those knees kept us from really finding out what he could do.
    Brodie is not even in my top 10 QB's. I thought he gave up against Aub in his last game even though he was getting pounded.
    I know about 10 different people that had dogs named Brodie. All lap dogs. Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloToad View Post
    Brodie is not even in my top 10 QB's. I thought he gave up against Aub in his last game even though he was getting pounded.
    I know about 10 different people that had dogs named Brodie. All lap dogs. Too funny.
    I bet you would be super motivated after 11 sacks...

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloToad View Post
    Mine either, but that's not the point I was making. His injuries kept us from ever really knowing how good he could have been, but just on arm talent, he could spin it as good as anybody.

Brodie is a top 10 qb in Alabama history. Its hard to ignore that he is probably the passing yard leader and either 2nd or 3rd in passing touchdowns had he not been knocked out in 2004. THIS IS WITH A PROBATION RIDDEN TEAM WITH SUBPAR COACHES.

Hannibal

Jake couldn't hit a moving target or he would be playing today.

Quote Originally Posted by Moro Creek View Post
    Jake couldn't hit a moving target or he would be playing today.
    5 qbs at Alabama and their best statistical years.

comp/ att/ %/ yards/ yard avg/ adj pass yard avg/ td/ int/ rating

QB 1

226 336 67.3 3063 9.1 9.8 28 7 167.2

QB 2

263 393 66.9 3110 7.9 8.1 21 8 147.0

QB 3

252 391 64.5 3487 8.9 9.2 28 10 157.9

QB 4

222 313 70.9 2987 9.5 10.1 20 5 169.0

QB 5

202 339 59.6 2499 7.4 7.7 14 4 132.8

Can you guess who is who, and which one was a fulltime starter in the NFL?
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 3rd, 2019 at 07:55 PM.

Hannibal