Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Crystal Cove,which is west of Montgomery on the Alabama River near Prairie Creek Campground.

Re: Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks?

I think that mark is within reach. Last season 3/4's of the games were over at halftime and Tua gave way to Jalen after only one or two series in the 3rd quarter. I see him playing 3 quarters plus this year. His 355 pass attempts last year was only good for 52nd in the country.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Man, if I said the sky was blue you'd say it's another color and sometimes you'd be right because it might sometimes be red, yellow or black. But that doesn't change the fact it's usually blue.

So on this topic, AJ was a great (I'd say the greatest) Alabama QB (based on his play at Bama) and that's like the sky being blue.

Was AJ perfect? No. Was he a game manager type because that's what he was tasked to do? Yes. Did he have some games where he hurt us with his play? Yes, but what QB (at any level) doesn't? So yes, sometimes the sky is red, yellow or black and sometimes AJ wasn't good.

But my point is, man, we were lucky to have him and you fail to give him his proper credit.

How is saying “AJ is in the Top 5” not giving him “proper credit”. You clearly said “I dare someone to not put AJ in the top 5” (which is looking more and more like a statement directed towards you trying to get back at the folks that were right about AJ’s NFL starter prospects that you had a hard time with the facts with) and where did I put him???? Answer: “in the Top 5”. Meaning I gave him proper credit. So spare me this victimhood crap that AJ isn’t of not getting the credit he is due just because you don’t agree at the way he is given the credit he is due in a different way. Not everyone of us sing the praises of AJ to the mountaintop like you do.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; July 5th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaBeno View Post
    I think that mark is within reach. Last season 3/4's of the games were over at halftime and Tua gave way to Jalen after only one or two series in the 3rd quarter. I see him playing 3 quarters plus this year. His 355 pass attempts last year was only good for 52nd in the country.
    If he throws for 5000 yards and we win it all I'm fine with that. However, I think CNS will want us to be more balanced and, therefore, I think we'll run the ball more to establish "the Bama factor."

But, by doing this, Tua may play deeper into our games than he did last year.

But, when all is said and done, I'd rather Tua only throw for 3000 yards and us win a NC than for him to have another great stastical year and us come up short again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamaBeno View Post
    He could’ve done it in practically any game, but CNS took the ball out of his hand. I don’t think we will ever see it with the state of the SEC offenses unless it’s vs UGA. The 2014 Florida game should’ve destroyed the record but I think CNS was worried about Blake’s health after being knocked out for a drive. Had that not happened then I think he would’ve broken it.

Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

5. Jay Barker
    4. Jalen Hurts
    3. Blake Sims
    2. AJ McCarron
    1. Tua Tagavailoa

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

BamaMoon I agree with you about AJ not getting his due credit.....anymore.

I remember more than one thread on here discussing "Is AJ McCarron the greatest Alabama QB of All-Time" around 2013.

From what I remember it seemed like the majority of fans here were ready to pass that title over to him....

Then.... his post 2013 season comments happened and MANY here got extra salty over it and are still holding a grudge.

It petty and ridiculous.

Oh and with regards to Scott Hunter being brought up: He is a MAJOR JERK.

I worked in Banking in Daphne AL in the mid-90's to early 00's while I was making my way through college and I had the displeasure of interacting with Hunter dozens of time as well as seeing/hearing him interacting with many of my female coworkers.

He is unbelievably arrogant, condescending, and just flat out rude. I can't properly describe just what a donkey he is w/o breaking forum language policy.
    Last edited by tusks_n_raider; July 5th, 2019 at 02:02 PM.

It’s funny that the title is “who is your top 5 Alabama QBs of all time” and about 95% of posters have AJ in their list. But yet we have 2 posters saying he is not getting his due credit. Some of y’all need to understand what the distinction of “Top 5 best” of anything over 100 years means because if y’all did then you all would know that AJ has gotten all the credit he has earned and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    How is saying “AJ is in the Top 5” not giving him “proper credit”. You clearly said “I dare someone to not put AJ in the top 5” (which is looking more and more like a statement directed towards you trying to get back at the folks that were right about AJ’s NFL starter prospects that you had a hard time with the facts with) and where did I put him???? Answer: “in the Top 5”. Meaning I gave him proper credit. So spare me this victimhood crap that AJ isn’t of not getting the credit he is due just because you don’t agree at the way he is given the credit he is due in a different way. Not everyone of us sing the praises of AJ to the mountaintop like you do.
    You did rank him in your top five. I was referring more to not giving him as much credit for the contributions he made toward 2011 and '12 NCs.

We disagree on AJ some, but it's OK.

I'll bow out by giving my top 5, but I'm just going to rank those I saw/remember playing:

1. Tua - I'm projecting a little here because I think with another solid season this is how we'll remember him.
    2. AJ
    3. JPW - three solid seasons with not the best talent around him
    4. Brodie - wondering what if he hadn't got hurt
    5. Tie - Steadman Shelley, Jay Barker, Gmac, Coker and Jalen for NC contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Tider6972 View Post
    WOW!

Steadman Shealy ! ...the forgotten Champion (Winning IS what it's about!)

Richard Todd! Ist rounder! Starter for the Jets for many years.

Joe Willie
    The Great and Awesome, real person, Ken Stabler
    AJ McCarron
    Refresh my memory, please. What were Todd's major collegiate achievements?
    "May the Tide Be with You"

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamamoss2 View Post
    Refresh my memory, please. What were Todd's major collegiate achievements?
    Well, we wuz 30-3 in the games he played.....

My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Well Selma, that is pretty darn good. I only remember a game with Ole Miss where he pitched out (unforced) and caused a fumble that Ole Miss run back for a TD. Funny how one play can influence your impression of a player.

Selma, perhaps the other reason I am not so much a fan of Todd are the two losses to Notre Dame Bama suffered. Those losses are the hardest to forget.

Todd was very successful, but just not among the greatest in my opinion.

Here is his Wikipedia college highlights:

In high school, Todd attended Davidson High School in Mobile, Alabama. Individually, Todd owned the state shot-put record at the time. He then went on to play for Bear Bryant at the University of Alabama, where he was a three-year starter at quarterback. During his time at Alabama, the Crimson Tide ran the wishbone offense. In his sophomore year, Todd shared the quarterback position with Gary Rutledge. In a game against Virginia Tech, which the Tide won 77-6, Todd was one of four backs who ran for over 100 yards. The 1973 season concluded in the Sugar Bowl, with a 24-23 loss to Notre Dame. In that game, Todd caught a 25-yard touchdown pass.

In 1974, injuries plagued Todd. The Tide went on to have a rematch with Notre Dame, this time in the Orange Bowl. Todd threw for Alabama's only touchdown in the fourth quarter and helped convert two points, but the Tide lost 13-11. In the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 1975 season, his college career ended in New Orleans against Penn State. Todd threw for over 200 yards, and led Alabama to its first bowl victory in eight years. Alabama never lost an SEC game while Richard Todd was the starting quarterback.

1973: 18/33 for 325 yards with 4 TD vs 2 INT. 560 yards and 2 TD rushing.
    1974: 36/67 for 656 yards with 5 TD vs 2 INT. 265 yards and 5 TD rushing.
    1975: 47/89 for 661 yards with 7 TD vs 3 INT. 429 yards and 9 TD rushing.[1]
    He would end his college career as a very efficient QB, throwing 16 TD against just 7 INT in 189 PA while running for 1,254 yards and 16 TD.

He was before my time of remembering (although I was alive) but his passing stats look alot like Namath and Kenny's. I know these guys played during times when we didn't throw the ball as much.

Kinda off topic, but I wish there was a way to know how Todd, Namath and Stabler would have integrated into CNS's offense and how, for instance, Jalen could have been effective during the wishbone days.

FWIW, Jalen was 27-2 as a starter and he threw the ball alot compared to the greats of old but that's not why we won with him.