Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks?

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Well, we wuz 30-3 in the games he played.....

:)
Selma, perhaps the other reason I am not so much a fan of Todd are the two losses to Notre Dame Bama suffered. Those losses are the hardest to forget.

Todd was very successful, but just not among the greatest in my opinion.

Here is his Wikipedia college highlights:

In high school, Todd attended Davidson High School in Mobile, Alabama. Individually, Todd owned the state shot-put record at the time. He then went on to play for Bear Bryant at the University of Alabama, where he was a three-year starter at quarterback. During his time at Alabama, the Crimson Tide ran the wishbone offense. In his sophomore year, Todd shared the quarterback position with Gary Rutledge. In a game against Virginia Tech, which the Tide won 77-6, Todd was one of four backs who ran for over 100 yards. The 1973 season concluded in the Sugar Bowl, with a 24-23 loss to Notre Dame. In that game, Todd caught a 25-yard touchdown pass.

In 1974, injuries plagued Todd. The Tide went on to have a rematch with Notre Dame, this time in the Orange Bowl. Todd threw for Alabama's only touchdown in the fourth quarter and helped convert two points, but the Tide lost 13-11. In the Sugar Bowl at the end of the 1975 season, his college career ended in New Orleans against Penn State. Todd threw for over 200 yards, and led Alabama to its first bowl victory in eight years. Alabama never lost an SEC game while Richard Todd was the starting quarterback.

1973: 18/33 for 325 yards with 4 TD vs 2 INT. 560 yards and 2 TD rushing.
1974: 36/67 for 656 yards with 5 TD vs 2 INT. 265 yards and 5 TD rushing.
1975: 47/89 for 661 yards with 7 TD vs 3 INT. 429 yards and 9 TD rushing.[1]
He would end his college career as a very efficient QB, throwing 16 TD against just 7 INT in 189 PA while running for 1,254 yards and 16 TD.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, we wuz 30-3 in the games he played.....

:)
He was before my time of remembering (although I was alive) but his passing stats look alot like Namath and Kenny's. I know these guys played during times when we didn't throw the ball as much.

Kinda off topic, but I wish there was a way to know how Todd, Namath and Stabler would have integrated into CNS's offense and how, for instance, Jalen could have been effective during the wishbone days.

FWIW, Jalen was 27-2 as a starter and he threw the ball alot compared to the greats of old but that's not why we won with him.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
He was before my time of remembering (although I was alive) but his passing stats look alot like Namath and Kenny's. I know these guys played during times when we didn't throw the ball as much.

Kinda off topic, but I wish there was a way to know how Todd, Namath and Stabler would have integrated into CNS's offense and how, for instance, Jalen could have been effective during the wishbone days.

FWIW, Jalen was 27-2 as a starter and he threw the ball alot compared to the greats of old but that's not why we won with him.
Todd's passer rating was 146.9 for his college career and I'm guessing for back then before all the passing took over, that was pretty good.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/richard-todd-1.html

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Todd's passer rating was 146.9 for his college career and I'm guessing for back then before all the passing took over, that was pretty good.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/richard-todd-1.html

I'd have to know more about how to interpret those things.

Context - as I keep saying - is everything.

CFB teams were happy with 60% field goal kickers in 1966 - from inside 40 yards. Very few kickers nowadays would be able to keep their jobs with percentages that low - at least on the elite teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.