Who are your all-time top five Alabama quarterbacks?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
[FONT=&quot]I realize there are those of us too young to have seen Joe Namath or Kenny Stabler play, but I’ll leave that up to you if you choose to leave them off your list or not.

So who are your top five all-time Crimson Tide quarterbacks (based on their college playing days)? [/FONT]

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
[FONT="]I realize there are those of us too young to have seen Joe Namath or Kenny Stabler play, but I’ll leave that up to you if you choose to leave them off your list or not.

So who are your top five all-time Crimson Tide quarterbacks (based on their college playing days)? [/FONT]
I dare anybody to leave AJ McCarron off this list. IMO, if NCs matter the most, he's the best QB in Bama history.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Pat Trammel (ain't nothing but a winner)
Joe Namath (Broadway Joe)
Kenny Stabler (great competitor)
Tua Tagovialoa (great talent, almost as good as Namath)
Terry Davis (awesome wishbone QB)

I'd list Bart Star but this is based on college playing days.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
[FONT=&quot]I realize there are those of us too young to have seen Joe Namath or Kenny Stabler play, but I’ll leave that up to you if you choose to leave them off your list or not.

Personal top 5s or who actually is in the top 5?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah, you're probably right. But I do wonder what kind of stats those two would put up if they were playing today. Tua attempts more passes in 3 games than Stabler did in an entire season.
I thought that too, which is why coming up with a list like this is hard. Still, it's a good, fun discussion.

Curious, why you don't list AJ?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Stats have to be viewed in context: Namath and Stabler were great college passers for their day. According to some, Dixie Howell and Don Hutson were the first to incorporate route-running, aka, "pass-patterns", into the passing game. Harry Gilmer was nationally famous for the jump pass. All of these along with Pooley Hubert have to be considered as candidates. The game has changed so much in all big time sports: the athletes are so much better trained, work longer, harder and more intelligently, so there is little comparison to just 15 years ago. If not viewed in relation to contemporaries, few athletes just 15 years and back, in any big time sport, would compare to today's competitors. Also, the passing game was predominantly long downfield throws, far fewer attempts, QBs called their own plays, WRs were nothing like today, etc. QBing is just very different. And of course QBing and winning is so dependent on coaching, teammates and competition. It's also much more than passing.

bamaboyinnh

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 21, 2008
New Hampshire
5 favorites would be:
AJ
Jalen
Coker ( the kid had guts)
Tua
Blake Sims ( loved to watch him run)

5 best would be:
Namath
Stabler
AJ
Trammel
Starr

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
1. K. Stabler
2. A.J. McCarron
3. J. Namath
4. R. Todd/J. Coker
5. The wishbone championship winners

Tua should move into the top 3 somewhere, maybe all the way to the top, if he plays to his potential in the stretch run this year.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Freddie Kitchens
Jay Barker
Brodie Croyle
AJ McCarron
Tyler Watts

Tua probably makes my list, but he is still playing and I'll reserve judgement until after the 2019 season.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
5 that have brought me the most joy:
Joe Willie
P. Trammell
AJ Mc
Snake
Terry Davis
Will have to find a spot for Tua if he's able to avoid major injury and continue the trajectory he began with.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Then you would have your obvious 3 (Joe, Kenny, and AJ) with two that people fight over. To me the two others would probably be and of Rutledge, Tua, Bart, or Brodie Croyle.

But my personal favorite top 5 is different from what I believe are the actual top 5.

Personal favorites (no order):

Coker
Blake
Zow
Jay Barker
Tua

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.