How ILB became a weak link at Alabama
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

How ILB became a weak link at Alabama

We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Re: How ILB became a weak link at Alabama

Yea, never thought we would have a backer problem in the Saban era but man we have talent all over the field on D. I believe our D Line and secondary will shore up any shortcoming at the ILB position but we really need to find some alfa dogs to recruit going forward.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I agree.
    It's sad when a major strength becomes a questionable position.
    Hopefully the next man up will step up their game...

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    I agree.
    It's sad when a major strength becomes a questionable position.
    Hopefully the next man up will step up their game...

All it takes is we miss on a key recruit, one you did get is not as good as thought and all of a sudden , you're short. Ben davis comes to mind, this year we missed on the mississippi kid and the cali kid. we might be short here for a little while

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

It was a weakness for exactly one season. Two major changes that year - Mack became the main guy, and you changed coaches. Both contributed to the problem in a major way. This is not an injury problem or a recruiting problem.

BamaNation All-American

Wouldn't you call Mac starting a recruiting problem since he was the best of the lot?

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    It was a weakness for exactly one season. Two major changes that year - Mack became the main guy, and you changed coaches. Both contributed to the problem in a major way. This is not an injury problem or a recruiting problem.

BamaNation All-American mikeua69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamabill123 View Post
    All it takes is we miss on a key recruit, one you did get is not as good as thought and all of a sudden , you're short. Ben davis comes to mind, this year we missed on the mississippi kid and the cali kid. we might be short here for a little while
    This year’s LB class will be the best in years. They are making up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTR

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I do think the coaching turnover has hurt, but also seem to believe the fall off at ILB may have coincided with CNS's change in defensive philosophy in defending the spread/hurry up offenses.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Both JJ Peterson and Quay Walker were signing day flips if I remember correctly, so there was little to no reaction time for either. If it makes anyone feel better, JJ Peterson hasn't seen the field at UT and looks like a bust.

BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtowntide View Post
    If it makes anyone feel better, JJ Peterson hasn't seen the field at UT and looks like a bust.
    A little.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    Wouldn't you call Mac starting a recruiting problem since he was the best of the lot?
    Maybe. His problems were mental not physical. He was focused on his next job, not on his current one. In football, you have to limit your focus to the next play. At least part of that may have been tied to Saban's recruiting approach since he pushes NFL progression of his players in recruiting. So, maybe.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Maybe. His problems were mental not physical. He was focused on his next job, not on his current one. In football, you have to limit your focus to the next play. At least part of that may have been tied to Saban's recruiting approach since he pushes NFL progression of his players in recruiting. So, maybe.
    From a coaching perspective, the best way to get a meandering player's attention is to put him on the bench for a while. Except, there was nobody to go in for Mack. That's what I meant about a recruiting problem.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Really a combination of problems, coaching turnover, missed on a recruit here and there (which might be related to coaching turnover because some misses are players who just didn't develop). But probably the biggest issue is Smart and Pruitt selling the same system. They have been able to convince a few players that they would be buried on the depth chart when in fact they would have probably been playing at Bama. I'm not sure if that's an easy sell at this point. I see our depth at ILB and I'm thinking "opportunity", "door wide open", "nothing but grass", "RING". But that's just me, I can't predict what an 18 year old thinks. Unfortunately these sorts of recruiting holes take a while to dig out of. The only good news I can give is that Saban's gotten some all-American performances out of freshman ILB in the past and there's always a chance we could see that again.
    BS 1989