Link: Bama's contract extension with Nike

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
:frown: :rolleye2: :conf3: :blush: :confused:

"Quietly in 2013, Alabama inked an extension with the Beaverton, Oregon-based corporation that runs through 2025. Unlike previous deals, Alabama never announced the deal signed in early September 2013 by Bill Battle, in his first year as Alabama's athletics director.

The 2013 extension increased the value for Alabama, though not near the raises Texas, Ohio State and UCLA got a few years later.

All told, Alabama's deal that runs through 2025 is worth $63 million in apparel and cash plus a $5 million signing bonus. That works out to $5.25 million a year compared to $18.7 million a year for UCLA and more than $16 million a year for both Ohio State and Texas.

A number of factors from timing to lack of competition explain Alabama's standing in the sports apparel contract money.

Bob Dorfman, a sports marketing analyst, was surprised to hear about Alabama's 2013 deal with Nike. Like practically everyone else who follows this corner of the sports business world, he thought the contract was ending this June.

"Certainly, if the deal was expiring, I would suspect Alabama would sign the richest deal of all right now," Dorfman said. "I would think they'd re-up with Nike and Nike would pay them definitely more than UCLA is getting paid by Under Armour."

Instead, Alabama isn't even among the top 20 in apparel deals as Nike, Adidas and Under Armour went on a spending spree in the years after the 2013 deal kicked in."

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/08/alabama_quietly_extended_nike.html

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I just threw away 7 Alabama articles of clothing with their logo on them. If I'd had more, I'd have thrown away more.
If you're going to be mad, direct your anger at the correct party - the blame belongs far more on Coach Battle than Nike. Sports marketing is/was his specialty, supposedly, but you'd never know it by this deal.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you're going to be mad, direct your anger at the correct party - the blame belongs far more on Coach Battle than Nike. Sports marketing is/was his specialty, supposedly, but you'd never know it by this deal.
Go to Nonsports and you’ll see why the poster feels that way.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Wow.....um....okay.

I don’t care what Nike does or doesn’t do.....

I’m not throwing away my Alabama Gear ever unless it’s damaged beyond repair.

I can maybe understand someone deciding not to purchase any future Nike Alabama apparel for ‘insert reasons here’.....

But throwing away what you already own??? That’s kinda petulant.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wow.....um....okay.

I don’t care what Nike does or doesn’t do.....

I’m not throwing away my Alabama Gear ever unless it’s damaged beyond repair.

I can maybe understand someone deciding not to purchase any future Nike Alabama apparel for ‘insert reasons here’.....

But throwing away what you already own??? That’s kinda petulant.
I’m not one to question fandom but some of the stuff about Alabama fans throwing away Alabama apparel with NIKE on it kinda makes me get close to doing so. Donate them to another fan or to Hannah Home and stop buying Nike products if it pains you that much. But Bragging about throwing away Bama gear isn’t making you look better on your stance or as a Bama fan.

Last edited:

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Totally different reason. Couldn't explain due to board rules.
I completely agree with the reason, though our budget won't allow me to follow suit. I haven't bought anything from that company in a few years, and I won't do so again until they change their stance on a few things and cut ties with certain individuals. Plenty of Bama gear out there without having to support their agenda.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am so mad at Nike that I am going to punish myself?
10 of our 14 games in 2017 were on Disney networks... Disney kinda has the same open mind set as Nike, and I wonder how few Alabama fans and Tidefans posters we will have if Disney joins Nike in their stance.

FWIW I get the stance vs Nike , just not the execution.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
I love Alabama but do not like Nike. I will pursue Alabama gear without the Nike symbol. In fact, I do not like advertising for other parties in general with the exception of the Crimson Tide (without other mfg trademarks where possible).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
10 of our 14 games in 2017 were on Disney networks... Disney kinda has the same open mind set as Nike, and I wonder how few Alabama fans and Tidefans posters we will have if Disney joins Nike in their stance.

FWIW I get the stance vs Nike , just not the execution.
I understand the desire to boycott. But I won't discard items which I paid dearly for in protest. Reminds me of the NFL fans who burned tickets in protest. The NFL wasn't harmed in any way by that act - only the people burning their tickets, which were paid for before receipt. Don't renew your season tickets and sell those in hand, but burn them? Might as well burn a pile of cash and pretend it is hurting the NFL.

I fully support the right of individuals to do these things. I just choose to protest things that I consider worthy in other ways.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do not have any Bama Nike gear to throw away because I have never bought any Bama gear made by Nike. I have never bought anything Nike. My decision goes back before anyone ever hear of Colin Kaepernick. Non-Nike Bama gear can be hard to find but it is out there. New Balance for athletic shoes and Foot Joy for golf shoes.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What’s the purpose of bringing up this old article? To actually discuss it (already has been on here btw) or use it as a way to discuss current news relating to Nike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Bama needs to get out of the contract with Nike. I will not buy any more Bama stuff from Nike, and my family used to buy a lot. I’m surprised this issue had not been bigger until this point. I think it’s going to be a big issue for the AD to deal with as more and more Bama fans refuse to support Nike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.