What was the best team to ever lose an SEC Championship Game?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
As I was watching last year's SEC Championship Game on SEC network last night, that was a darn good Georgia team that we beat. I got to wondering, what was the best team to ever lose an SEC Championship Game?

I thought about the '94 team but they had some close games during the season and the '08 team came to mind. After losing to the Gators that team wasn't motivated to play Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

That led me to think of Florida's '09 team that we beat. Off the top of my head that might have been the best team to lose in the SECCG.

Your thoughts? Other teams?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Tebow cried...(Sorry Baz)...
As I was watching last year's SEC Championship Game on SEC network last night, that was a darn good Georgia team that we beat. I got to wondering, what was the best team to ever lose an SEC Championship Game?

I thought about the '94 team but they had some close games during the season and the '08 team came to mind. After losing to the Gators that team wasn't motivated to play Utah in the Sugar Bowl.

That led me to think of Florida's '09 team that we beat. Off the top of my head that might have been the best team to lose in the SECCG.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

'09 Gators were a very good team. Bama was better that day.
1'8 Dawgs were pretty good as well.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think a lot of answers will be the 94 Bama team or the 12 and 18 UGA teams, but I just don't think I can get there. 2008 Alabama was closer at playing for a NC than 1994 Alabama, so it was just another lesson in how Spurrier was a superior coach than Stallings kinda deal instead of we could've won the NC (plus I doubt we could've beaten Nebraska if we did magically get selected). The 2012 and 18 UGA teams are teams just teams that were very lucky to be there and in the game.

1) 2001 Tennessee: because it was the only one that you can say with 100% certainty that left the SEC out of the National Championship.
2) 2009 Florida: The best Florida team of all time is beaten by a rising power
3 a) 2006 Arkansas had some serious NFL talent on offense and if not for Percy Harvin and superior coaching on the otherside then you could honestly say that Arkansas would've beaten the future national champs
3b) 2012 UGA

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it HAS to be the 2009 Florida Gators.

It's the only time we've ever had an SEC championship game with two unbeaten teams, and the team that lost had won 2 of the previous three national championships. And then just to show they could recover, they blew out Cincinnati in Urban's farewell game, the one where Aaron Hernandez absolutely murdered the Bearcats with his receiving stats.

I don't think there's even a close second.

======================

Let's divide them out.

THE COMPLETE JOKES
1995 Arkansas
2002 Arkansas (only made it thanks to Alabama being on probation; I'd call them lucky but they weren't good at all)
2007 Tennessee
2010 S Carolina
2014 Missouri
2016 Florida

THE GOT THERE BY BEING THE LEAST BAD
1992 Florida
1996 Alabama
1997 Auburn
2013 Missouri
2015 Florida

THE GOOD OR DECENT ENOUGH TEAMS
1994 Alabama
1999 Florida
2000 Auburn
2003 UGA
2004 Tennessee
2006 Arkansas (an argument for lucky could be made for them as well - if Leigh Tiffin makes just one kick, LSU wins the West; but they were a good offense anyway)
2018 UGA

THE LUCKY NUMB NUTZES
1993 Alabama (only made it because Auburn was on probation - the Tigers actually beat both teams in the game for Pete's sake)
1998 Mississippi St
2005 LSU
2011 UGA (lost to USCe, but then the Gamecocks lost twice, once to a mediocre Auburn. Win that and UGA doesn't even make the game)
2017 Auburn

THE LEGIT CONTENDERS
2001 Tennessee
2008 Alabama
2009 Florida
2012 Georgia

I realize some of you are going to quibble with my assessment of 2018 Georgia, but I think you're reading the 2017 team into the 2018 team. I'm not saying that wasn't a good Georgia team, but they:
a) got blown out by LSU
b) struggled to beat a Kentucky team overrated because they'd beaten a Florida team in its first SEC game with a new coach (31 years!)
c) played five ranked teams and lost to three of them

Let me put it this way:
take away the 2 turnovers we gave them and Tua being hurt on the first series of the game (which included one of those).....and do you think the final score is even close?

They were a GOOD team, they were not "a potential national champion." I think Clemson would have routed them worse than they did us.

1994 Alabama - a solid team but a team that primarily won games with intelligence and some lucky breaks to be quite blunt about it. The only difference in the 91 and 94 Tide teams compared to the 88 team is that the 91 team won every single close game, and the 94 team won every single close game except one.

We might well have had a team that could have beaten Nebraska or Penn State that year - but it was not a "great" overall team, either.

If asked to rank them.....

1) 2009 Gators
2) 2008 Crimson Tide
3) 2001 Vols
4) 2012 UGA

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.