News Article: Will Bama fans boycott Nike

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Although this is an old article. I would think there is going to be a lot of questions asked of the current AD about the contract with Nike.

I have the feeling that social media and sports writers will keep this alive.

I am curious as if anyone has the specifics of the contract. It would be nice to see what the schools obligatations are to Nike. Do the coaches have to wear nike stuff on game day?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/08/alabama_quietly_extended_nike.html

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
This one doesn't like or buy their products.
to say Bama has gotten or made bad deals with them is true - but the blame lies with UA representatives , Nike has bought us for cheap relative to the deals lesser name brands have made.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Although this is an old article. I would think there is going to be a lot of questions asked of the current AD about the contract with Nike.

I have the feeling that social media and sports writers will keep this alive.

I am curious as if anyone has the specifics of the contract. It would be nice to see what the schools obligatations are to Nike. Do the coaches have to wear nike stuff on game day?

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/08/alabama_quietly_extended_nike.html
You can’t look back on older contracts trying to use today’s standards. Very little competition from other brands probably handcuffed Alabama in negotiations, and signing them long term was a definite coup for Nike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I haven't bought anything with that logo on it in several years. That won't change as long as that company chooses the spokespeople like they are currently choosing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Very little competition from other brands probably handcuffed Alabama in negotiations, and signing them long term was a definite coup for Nike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not even close to the truth. If you don't think brands like UA, Adidas, and Air Jordan wouldn't offer a killer deal to get Alabama then you haven't been paying attention. Alabama is like Nike in that they are in it to make the most money. So no Alabama wasn't handcuffed into the deal, Alabama was all for the deal with Nike.

Alabama and Nike are very protective of their image and are very picky on who can use what, when, and how. Have you ever wondered why the old logo can be used by 2 companies? 1 of them being Nike...

Nike also gives a lot of financial and apparel benefits that the others don't. If Alabama wanted to get the UCLA UA deal then they could've, but they chose not to because UA doesn't take care of their clients like Nike does. Look at Alabama's jerseys in bowl games and compare them to Notre Dame. One looks very appealing on TV and the other looks like you are watching a 1960's game.

Point is Alabama could've had any deal they wanted when reup talks came up, but ultimately chose to stay with Nike on their own free will because they have a great working relationship that benefits both parties.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As a guy who worked in a shoe store selling these things (and got to try many), it's very simple:

Nike is an overpriced, over-hyped, piece of crap shoe. I've never had a pair that lasted very long.

You can get Asics Gels or New Balance for 1/2 the price, and they'll last twice as long - and that's for pretty much anything you do.
Running, walking, daily use.

Nike has had ad campaigns for years - going back at least to the time of Bo Jackson and Michael Jordan - that have hyped them as a great big deal.

But here's a dirty little secret that has nothing to do with the current spokesmartyr or anything: Craig Biggio was a better baseball player than Ken Griffey, Jr was.

That's NOT an opinion, it's an easily proven fact - as long as you don't get hung up on, "But he hit all these home runs!"

He also made more outs, hit into more double plays, and Biggio makes it up with singles, doubles, and triples while playing a more important position on the field better.

My point? People get hung up on dazzling things, which is why Kyler Murray won the Heisman Trophy and why Sugar Ray Leonard won a bunch of fights he actually lost in terms of actual boxing. And home runs and run up the wall catches are more dazzling than basic competency when it comes to sports. The fact that going an entire year without hitting into a double play is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than "but he hit 56 home runs" is lost on the ignorant masses. Thus, Nike.

Nike has everyone convinced they're a big deal based on a bunch of ads. It damned sure isn't based on their shoes.

Rant over I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.