Question About Retrospective Alabama Write-Ups (Coming Soon - 1979)
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Question About Retrospective Alabama Write-Ups (Coming Soon - 1979)

I'm nearly completion of my research, game watching, and write-up of the 1979 national championship season, precious to me because it is the first full season I lived through as a ten-year old Alabama fan.

However - the final product is likely to be around forty single-spaced pages. This has been unbelievable and will require division into about ten posts most likely. These are meant to be read, to be enjoyed, to kindle the Tide fan nostalgia.

But is this too long?

It features the ENTIRE year (not just the season), and some of the running commentary covers the news media coverage at the time, in part to show that as Ecclesiastes informs us, "there is nothing new under the sun." Herschel Nissenson was referring to the upcoming poll car crash as "flies in the ointment" back when Tim Brando was a disc jockey in Shreveport. 1979 is an interesting bridge between 1966 (and what happened) and 2014 (and the beginning of the playoff).

I only have three games with play by play, moment by moment - LSU, Auburn, and Arkansas (in large part because the availability of other games from that time is limited and who really wants play by play from the 45-0 smackdown of Baylor?). And, of course, it has overlapping news stories to put you in the frame of mind at the time.

For example - did you know that Ohio State became #1 on the very same day that the major news story was the trampling of 11 concert goers outside Riverfront Coliseum (in Ohio) who were attempting to obtain festival seating to watch The Who?

Did you know that Ara Parseghian, who called the 1980 Sugar Bowl, praised Lou Holtz for going for two early in the third quarter to show he was not playing for the tie?

Did you know that LSU's coaching replacement of Charlie McClendon included replacement Bo Rein saying on Monday that he wasn't the LSU coach and was recruiting for NC State and saying on Thursday he had accepted the job? (Does this sound like anyone or anything?)

It seems to me that to do justice to the subject, this one has gone on a bit longer than intended. But I want input from my readers: is that too long?

(PS - I'm not going to change much of it, but I may edit it, and i will keep it in mind as I work on other ones).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Question About Retrospective Alabama Write-Ups (Coming Soon - 1979)

No it is not too long. I enjoy these posts even if I was only 4 when this one happened.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I was at the Baylor game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Bring it on. I loved that team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team GCtidefan's Avatar

Post it all and expound away!
    It's the off season and I'm starved for reading material.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here who believes that anything you write is better than 95% of the drivel being submitted by "journalists".
    Looking forward to soaking up every word.

BamaNation All-American tidefanbeezer's Avatar

Post it.

If folks don't want to read it, they don't have to click.

I remember we dropped from #1 in the polls at the end of the regular season AFTER we beat a ranked Auburn team. At the time I think everyone in the state was convinced we would get robbed of a national championship again that year. I think 40 pages is about right....

If it's too long, I'll skim it.

But I probably won't skim it. You're a good writer. Let's do this.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Okay....it's 52 single-spaced pages......here we go.....
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.