Who throws for more yards Tua or Jalen?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm thinking Tua might actually play more this year than last. CNS was ultra comfortable letting Jalen come in and run the game out in 2nd halfs.

While we do need to give the #2 important reps, I don't think CNS will have the same confidence in this years backup as last years.....not early on in the season anyway. So QB2 might not come in until late in the 3rd or early in the 4th.

Also the WR's are entering year 3 (Waddle Year 2), along with Tua having a whole season and offseason developing chemistry with them.

I see no reason why the Passing can't be just as prolific as last year.... It might be more dangerous if Tua starts consistently hitting the RB checkdowns.

I know most want to see some dedicated rushing as well..... but the truth is that we averaged around 200 ypg rushing last year which is right in line with just about every year under CNS except for 2016-2017 where Jalen's runs pushed the average up to 250 ypg.

The problem isn't/wasn't that we couldn't move the ball on the ground..... it's that we haven't been able to move it on the ground in critical short yardage situations.

At any rate I expect that with any improvements in the running game, it will only help open up the passing game further.

We need balance.... but in today's game you've got to be able to sling it.... and Tua can SLING IT :D
Great point...we ran effectively most of the time last year...even against Clemson we were GASHING them with 10-15 yard runs, but then, when we needed 1 or 2 tough yards we couldn't earn it.

But your point is a good one. And if we run it more effectively, it'll just open up the field more for Tua's talent!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not sure if I'd prefer that or Mr. Irrelevant...:Smiliz_Kingz_PDT_09 on TideFans.com
Jalen.

I hope he wins the hypeman and becomes a 1st round pick; I'll be pleased if he's the fist pick..

I admire his character and his talent, he'll always be a favorite of mine.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love Jalen, but until i see him actually consistently hit the throws, I'll assume Tua throws for more.

It doesn't matter if the D is bad when you over/under throw your receivers on a consistent basis. Time will tell if JH has improved.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Throwing yards -- close. I'll go with Tua, in a photo finish, only because of the WRs.

Total yards -- Jalen. The Big 12-2 hasn't seen a QB like him. They play pretty crappy defense anyway, and he'll shred them like an Asplundh does sapling.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Jalen is likely to have a prolific year in the no defense Big 12. I could see 3,500 yards passing and 1,000+ yards rushing for him.

Tua, meanwhile, will pass for over 4,000 yards. We may run the ball more but the talent throwing and catching the ball is just too great. Should be hard to stop, and fun to watch.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Jalen will—and he’ll beat him in total yards too. Keep in mind the defenses both will face. I predict Tua will make it close most of the season(assuming he stays healthy) but in November Jalen will run away it.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm thinking Tua might actually play more this year than last. CNS was ultra comfortable letting Jalen come in and run the game out in 2nd halfs.

While we do need to give the #2 important reps, I don't think CNS will have the same confidence in this years backup as last years.....not early on in the season anyway. So QB2 might not come in until late in the 3rd or early in the 4th.

Also the WR's are entering year 3 (Waddle Year 2), along with Tua having a whole season and offseason developing chemistry with them.

I see no reason why the Passing can't be just as prolific as last year.... It might be more dangerous if Tua starts consistently hitting the RB checkdowns.

I know most want to see some dedicated rushing as well..... but the truth is that we averaged around 200 ypg rushing last year which is right in line with just about every year under CNS except for 2016-2017 where Jalen's runs pushed the average up to 250 ypg.

The problem isn't/wasn't that we couldn't move the ball on the ground..... it's that we haven't been able to move it on the ground in critical short yardage situations.

At any rate I expect that with any improvements in the running game, it will only help open up the passing game further.

We need balance.... but in today's game you've got to be able to sling it.... and Tua can SLING IT :D
Im afraid you’ll see more of the same until the LSU game this year. Saban simply won’t run up the score on inferior teams—and frankly that’s all we face until the second week of November. It may be less than last year, but I still think you’ll see Tua getting yanked a lot this year before the fourth qtr even begins. He won’t play 60 minutes until November. The question is, can he physically handle it once that happens? Based on last season, I’m not sure he can. Convince me I’m wrong.....

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Jalen May rack up 5,000 total yards against Big 12 defenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jalen, because Saban is going to be working in a number of other QBs throughout the season while Jalen will stay on the field.

Nalt

Sep 18, 2018
I'll throw a wrench in the works here. I think, if you compare each qb's yards as compared to actual minutes played from the 1st game to the last, Tua wins easily. I don't think Tua will play an entire game until possibly Miss St. Jalen will likely play the entire season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
By "working" I'm afraid you mean simply handing the ball off to our RBs...
The only time he has done otherwise was with Tua as a TF, so maybe he will do something similar with Lia. I am hopeful, but understand your doubt. But, either way, Tua will get fewer snaps than Jalen.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Did Jalen nail down the Sooner starting job in the spring or is the competition ongoing? I should know the answer to that but didn't keep up with OU.
This is what I was wondering. If Jalen is the starter at OU, then I am sure that he will put up huge numbers because of their offense and the defenses they play in the Big whatever. I think most of you have already nailed it. I also think we will focus on the run a little more this year instead of falling in love with the quick strike long ball. Tua will probably be on the bench for much of the 3rd and all of the 4th quarter in many games, so he will not have as many yards. With Tua and our receivers, though, we will still sling it around quite a bit and light up some scoreboards.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I love Jalen, but until i see him actually consistently hit the throws, I'll assume Tua throws for more.

It doesn't matter if the D is bad when you over/under throw your receivers on a consistent basis. Time will tell if JH has improved.
I kinda "hinted" at that earlier. I'm afraid all that Jalen may have learned about staying in the pocket and trying to find a 2nd or 3rd receiver will go out the window and he'll revert back to a first read and run guy.

And honestly, that may be all he needs to be for OU to be very dangerous offensively in the Big 12 but it will be interesting to see what happens if OU gets beyond the Big 12 and plays a good defense in the playoffs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I kinda "hinted" at that earlier. I'm afraid all that Jalen may have learned about staying in the pocket and trying to find a 2nd or 3rd receiver will go out the window and he'll revert back to a first read and run guy.

And honestly, that may be all he needs to be for OU to be very dangerous offensively in the Big 12 but it will be interesting to see what happens if OU gets beyond the Big 12 and plays a good defense in the playoffs.
He played against a pretty good defense in the SECCG last year. I know that they prepared for Tua, but that was still remarkable since GA played against Jalen the year before, so they had a plan for him.

The Jalen Hurts that played in 2018 was far better than the player that started for Alabama the previous 2 seasons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.